Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Amico vs Lotus

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 07:30 PM
    Thanks

Amico vs Lotus

I'm looking into a plasma cutter for light use. Occasional use only and I have a Lincoln Mig and Stick ac/dc welder. I think one of the small units will work and am looking at an Amico and Lotus brand. A lot is said about the quick start...or other term and this is only with the Lotus which is about twice the price. Shopping at Home Depot but can also consider online. Any inputs...is the auto arc a considerable factor. Looks like the Amico works well per the Utube videos....

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,028 Times in 2,509 Posts
    I've never heard of either, are they Chinese imports?
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    not sure that all them aren't made in China...these models are sold at Home Depot....there is also a Collasal Cut 50....I don't need much but want to consider a good one for light use….

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 09:19 PM
    Thanks
    I have a Hypertherm plasma cutter on my wish list.
    Kennyd and Roger47 like this.
    2038R
    72" MMM, iMatch Quick Hitch, RB2072 rear blade, BB2072 box blade, PHD200 w/9" auger, AF10F front blade, AP12F pallet forks, ballast box, Heavy Hitch, Titan 68" flail mower, Fit Rite TnT
    Z930M, 60" MOD, adjustable suspension seat
    The ranch has:
    1 flaming redheaded wife, 2 semi-feral children, 4 barn cats, 3 pups, 3 horses, 1 donkey, 1 duck and a dozen chickens

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 06:17 PM
    Thanks
    I have a 100 amp plasma on a CNC machine,,
    I never cut over 5/16 with the Esab 100 amp machine, TOO much angle to the cut,

Over 5/16, I always switched to oxygen/propane, that gave me perfect results up to 1.5"

So, if I were to buy a HD machine, I would buy the $249 30 amp unit, and the $35 two year warranty. (AMICO)

That machine will cut 3/8", which is the most I would EVER cut with plasma.

Actually, I may buy that, because that machine would be cheaper than a hand torch for the ESAB I already own,,
    (I only ever owned the machine torch)

As I get older, I tend to look for smaller machines that can do what I need to do, rather than BIG!!
    mjncad and mark02tj like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    06-17-2019 @ 01:42 PM
    Thanks
    I know nothing of either brand other that having read a few reports of "users" reporting their Lotos units being DOA. (I put users in quotes as it's hard to use a DOA piece of equipment.) Maybe not enough Chineseum in the right places. Here is a review of LOTOS. Though, free advice is probably worth less than you paid.

fwiw, I have a Hypertherm.
    Last edited by Roger47; 02-12-2019 at 12:24 PM.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    I bought a Hypertherm Powermax 45 years ago, and its been awesome.
    Price wise, they arent cheap, but none of the good ones are.

These seem to be appealing due to price, as they are very cheap. Id be VERY skeptical of their claims of cut capacity at the stated power.
    Hypertherm is one of the best there is, and they claim to do what Hypertherm does for a fraction of the price.
    I also saw SEVERAL people talking about where to get consumables. If you cant find them anywhere, thats a throw away machine.
    I think if I wanted to save money on one, Id look at Harbor Freight before one of these. At least with them, you can get what you need at Harbor Freight.
    But even Harbor Freight is twice the price....that too would probably tell me something.

In my mind, much like a welder (or backhoe), you will find uses for it you hadnt thought of before hand.
    The reason lots of us buy Deere is because they last a long time, and parts are going to be around. Same with this kind of thing.
    If you only plan to have it a year or two, great, but what happens in 5 years? Will you still be able to get parts?
    I know most of the big name plasma cutter manufacturers still have parts available for their very early models, and you can call and actually talk to people if you have issues.

All that said, things have changed a bit since I bought mine. I know the newer ones will cut better and thicker than mine at the same power, but the cost has also gone up accordingly.
    These seem AWFUL cheap to be doing what a machine 4x their cost will do.

Best I could tell you is to go to a few of the welding forums and ask around, or just read.
    Some of them are very biased towards one machine or another, but if you read enough, youll find what you want. A year or so ago, there were some pretty good reviews going around about the new Harbor Freight inverter welders, so somebody is doing some review work without too much bias, you just have to find it.
    Kennyd, trboxman and Roger47 like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,028 Times in 2,509 Posts
    As Jim wrote, look beyond the initial purchase since you will need consumables for the machine down the road and they are machine-specific. When an item is being sold for less than a 1/4 of what the name brand is, you have to wonder how good it can really be. If going the Chinese route, I like Jim's idea of at least getting the Horrible Fright one locally-at least you have a place to take it to if you need support.

FY, I have a older Hypertherm PM45 too, and I don't use it nearly as much as I though I would when I bought it.
    mjncad, trboxman and Roger47 like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    06-17-2019 @ 01:42 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    As Jim wrote, look beyond the initial purchase since you will need consumables for the machine down the road and they are machine-specific. When an item is being sold for less than a 1/4 of what the name brand is, you have to wonder how good it can really be. If going the Chinese route, I like Jim's idea of at least getting the Horrible Fright one locally-at least you have a place to take it to if you need support.

FY, I have a older Hypertherm PM45 too, and I don't use it nearly as much as I though I would when I bought it.
    The link to a Lotos review that I posted in Post #6 covers a lot of this. Lack of support. Not being able to find consumables. Potential short life. Only looks good because of cost. etc. etc. It seemed to be an objective review.
    Kennyd and trboxman like this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    I've been thoroughly researching the different machines....I know the lower price machines...probably under $1000 are Chineese made and not sure if some of the others aren't....now having said that...there's two difference one without the auto arc and ones with. This feature on the lower end machines is about $150 more...and I wonder with additional circuitry I wouldn't be buying more trouble...now also having said that I say a few of the low ends with a 3 year warranty and that seems attractive...If I can get a machine for $250-300 with this then I'd be good....I'm not looking to cut really heavy materials so the lower end...30amp may surfice….I have 220 plug ins so that not a factor...I do see something strange...harbor is not selling these type machines...but I'm going to the store today and see what the reason is....anyway still exploring and input appreciated....tks Chuck
    trboxman likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast