Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Welder for a newbie

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:23 AM
    Thanks

Welder for a newbie

There have been a handful of times when I've wished to have a welder and the ability to weld recently, so I think it's time to get one. I'm limited by a few things.

I only have 110 volt service to my garage. I could potentially run a 220 circuit if really and truly needed, but I don't think that's reached the level of a need yet. My air compressor runs fine from 110, and from a little bit of looking it seems that I can get a decent starter welder that will run on 110.

I don't plan on welding anything big/thick. Probably nothing thicker than 1/4" metal. My project list is short, and my spare time is shorter. If I need something thick and heavy welded, my neighbors have very nice setups. It's just hard finding time when we're both around and available. As much as I'd like a Hobart or Lincoln 140, realistically I'll only use this thing a few times a year.

I have a ton of credit card reward points I'd like to use, and those reward points limit me to either Home Depot or Sears.

I'd love to talk a basic welding class at the local community college, but I just don't have a ton of spare time right now. Maybe in the future, but for now it will have to be trial and error.

Thoughts? Thanks.
    Treefarmer likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,944 Times in 2,907 Posts
    There are a lot of good threads here on GTT of this very subject.
    Do a search with Keyword "Welder", select "Search Titles Only".
    Here is a good one https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...er-welder.html
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mithesaint View Post
    There have been a handful of times when I've wished to have a welder and the ability to weld recently, so I think it's time to get one. I'm limited by a few things.

I only have 110 volt service to my garage. I could potentially run a 220 circuit if really and truly needed, but I don't think that's reached the level of a need yet. My air compressor runs fine from 110, and from a little bit of looking it seems that I can get a decent starter welder that will run on 110.
    I was EXACTLY in your shoes before I got my first welder. I mainly wanted a welder for repair jobs and the occasional small fabrication. I don't have a garage so all my welding is done outdoors. I only had 110V available and as a result I bought a Hobart Handler 140 and use .035 Flux Core wire.

The unit has served me well. There are times I only use it once or twice a year. That is another reason I opted to stay with Flux Core and avoid having to worry about my gas cylinder leaking down (which was a constant problem back when I had a small Oxy-Acetylene rig).

Later on I installed a 220V line and picked up an inexpensive AC/DC Lincoln tombstone welder for $150 on Craigslist. Call me weird but I just like using stick.

I wish NOW that I would have spent the extra to get a 110/220V multi-voltage wire welder because now I'm saddled with this 110V 140. Which, don't get me wrong, for a 110V welder it does a fantastic job on everything up to 1/4" and has never given me a lick of trouble. If you go with a 110V welder you will definitely need a 20A dedicated circuit. If using a 15A circuit you will likely constantly pop the breaker unless you keep the current under 90A.

Even though it sounds like you won't use your welder very often, you still want it to WORK when you go to use it. For that reason I strongly recommend that you stick with something from a brand name company. Miller, Lincoln, Hobart, etc. The last thing you want is to fight wire feed issues because of an el-cheapo welder. There are lots of decent deals on Craigslist for used small welders from folks who bought them and then ended up not using them or upgrading.
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, rtgt and 4 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

Grizzler†(03-09-2019), mithesaint†(02-13-2019), pcabe5†(02-13-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 03:09 PM
    Thanks
    I have a 26 year old Lincoln SP100 in my home garage and I have never wanted or needed anything larger. I ran a 25 amp 120V circuit to plug it in to because it would trip the breaker on the standard 15 amp household circuits. With proper preparation and multiple passes you can even weld heavy stuff with it. For example I have a weld on thumb on my New Holland 575E backhoe with a couple hundred hours of use and no sign of fatigue. I did have a significant bevel on the pieces and made 4 passes but it has held solid.

I call this gorilla welding. They are strong and ugly!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1306.JPG IMG_1309.JPG IMG_1316.JPG
    mjncad, glc, Gizmo2 and 12 others like this.
    John Deere 4310 tractor, New Holland 575E backhoe, John Deere F725 mower

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    06-17-2019 @ 01:42 PM
    Thanks
    There are thoughts that learning to stick weld first is the best way. You learn about watching the puddle, penetration, etc. It is way easier to get nice looking welds that do not hold for crap using MIG or flux core wire welding.

I watched AVE's video a few years ago. WELDING: THE BEST WAY TO LEARN! - YouTube If you can spare 25 minutes or so, watch it. At least he's entertaining. Also, Jody at Welding Tips and Tricks - TIG, MIG, Stick and a pantload of other info has some good videos. And there are lots of bad ones out there to avoid.

Good luck!
    mjncad, glc, Gizmo2 and 7 others like this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Roger47 For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2†(02-13-2019)

10. Top | #6
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,944 Times in 2,907 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger47 View Post
    There are thoughts that learning to stick weld first is the best way. You learn about watching the puddle, penetration, etc. It is way easier to get nice looking welds that do not hold for crap using MIG or flux core wire welding.

I watched AVE's video a few years ago. WELDING: THE BEST WAY TO LEARN! - YouTube If you can spare 25 minutes or so, watch it. At least he's entertaining. Also, Jody at Welding Tips and Tricks - TIG, MIG, Stick and a pantload of other info has some good videos. And there are lots of bad ones out there to avoid.

Good luck!
    I've been stick welding for ~50 years, not and expert on it but I will say that first video was top shelf, IMO.
    rtgt, Jeff R., Herminator and 3 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:21 PM
    Thanks
    If mig is what you want you canít beat a Hobart. Even their bigger 210 mvp model will run of 120 volt outlet or 220. You can use flux core of shielding gas and is a nice setup. We use my cousinís who has the 210 and when we need to weld something on the farm we can run it off a generator in the field when we donít have an outlet close. I have a miller 230 and a Lincoln stick which I hardly use anymore. You can find stick welders pretty cheap on CL but most are 220.
    glc, rtgt, trboxman and 1 others like this.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

12. Top | #8
    glc
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:25 PM
    Thanks
    Hobart makes some really nice 110 volt welders.
    rtgt, Herminator, JD4044M and 1 others like this.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    Ill vote Hobart as well.
    The Handler 140 was/is a great machine. I had one for a couple years before someone helped themselves to it in my garage. It was replaced by a Handler 187, which will get replaced by the 210 MVP.
    I would REALLY like to get a new Miller inverter welder, but I dont need anything like that, and they cost quite a bit more than the old style.

Hobart and Miller are both part of the same company, so the Hobart welders use several of the same parts. It also makes finding consumables pretty easy, though Lincoln is also good.

Regardless of preference, the "Big Three" are the ones Id stick to if you want one to last. Miller, Hobart or Lincoln. Most of those can be found used for decent prices.

One last thing Ill mention, my Handler 140 and the 187 after were both purchased as "refurbished" units. They both had zero issues, but cost quite a bit less than a "new" unit. In my opinion, it was well worth it to save the money.
    glc, rtgt and JD4044M like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

14. Top | #10
    Big
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:25 PM
    Thanks
    I will say that welder's are allot like tractors when looking to buy. Whatever you think is best for what you need go one size bigger. I started with the Hobart 140 and quickly found how much I love to weld. I started to find projects and the limits of the 140, so I sold it to a friend and bought the 210. I think I'll be good for a while.
    rtgt, Herminator, trboxman and 2 others like this.
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast