Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Bubbly weld what gives?

1. Top | #11
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:54 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Are you using the correct shielding gas? I use C25 for almost all of my welding. Itís pretty universal and flexible. If you were using straight CO2, youíd get those porosity issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger47 View Post
    A real weldor can MIG weld clean steel with straight CO2 and not get porosity like that. Maybe the spatter is a little worse but the welds are just as good as with C25.
    Maybe I am a real welder but I would consider myself more of a novice.

I weld with 100% CO2 because that is what I have. I am a home brewer so I have several CO2 tanks for my keggerators. I just "borrow" one when welding and it works fine. I don't get bubbles like that. What I get is a little more spatter. The weld still looks good. Nothing that a flap wheel on a angle grinder can't clean up in a single pass.

I would also lean toward a gas issue. Maybe you have a bad tank. I have seen that before. I also use a flow meter not a regulator.

Another tip that I don't know if it applies but throwing this out because I have seen it be an issue that hasn't been mentioned yet and I don't know your welder. With the Hobart welders they ship with flux core wire. Since they ship this way they have the polarity on the welder set for flux core. When you go with solid wire with shielding gas you have to reverse the polarity. If you don't you get crappy welds. Like I said I don't know your welder to say this is the issue but something quick to check.
    mjncad, rtgt, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 60" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, Sprayer cart

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #12
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Thanks
    The anti slag gel is a double edged sword, a little goes a long way. That said, usually after you dip it, you'll have some inclusion in your weld, not too much but it's there... next, as others have said is gas flow. Also, they might have had a fan on to blow the fumes away, which can blow your shielding gas away too...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    mjncad, rtgt, trboxman and 1 others like this.

4. Top | #13
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,176 Times in 2,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger47 View Post
    A real weldor can MIG weld clean steel with straight CO2 and not get porosity like that. Maybe the spatter is a little worse but the welds are just as good as with C25.
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    Maybe I am a real welder but I would consider myself more of a novice.

I weld with 100% CO2 because that is what I have. I am a home brewer so I have several CO2 tanks for my keggerators. I just "borrow" one when welding and it works fine. I don't get bubbles like that. What I get is a little more spatter. The weld still looks good. Nothing that a flap wheel on a angle grinder can't clean up in a single pass.

I would also lean toward a gas issue. Maybe you have a bad tank. I have seen that before. I also use a flow meter not a regulator.

Another tip that I don't know if it applies but throwing this out because I have seen it be an issue that hasn't been mentioned yet and I don't know your welder. With the Hobart welders they ship with flux core wire. Since they ship this way they have the polarity on the welder set for flux core. When you go with solid wire with shielding gas you have to reverse the polarity. If you don't you get crappy welds. Like I said I don't know your welder to say this is the issue but something quick to check.
    Yup, my bad. I meant Argon. I edited my post. Thanks for catching that.
    rtgt and sennister like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #14

Last Online
    Today @ 08:37 PM
    Thanks
    When I was in the shipyard it was no gas, low flow of gas, or the fan blowing on me. It was mostly a fan being my problem.
    mjncad, rtgt and trboxman like this.
    LGM= Little Green Machine!!
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    3pt tractor receiver hitch
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isnít paying attention*

7. Top | #15
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:54 PM
    Thanks
    Never mind on the polarity issue. I know it causes issues and one of the first things a new welder should double check when changing wires. Sounds like it is more spatter than even when welding with 100% CO2.

How To Set Your MIG Welding Polarity Settings - Learn Welding | MIG Welding Training

Here are some tips on the bubbles. Seem to mainly point to the gas issue as we have been saying. Make sure the gun is clean, no leaks at any connection, avoid drafts. There is a reason arc welding is still a thing, it works much better outdoors and with dirty steel. MIG is more fussy.

The Basics: MIG Troubleshooting | Bernard
    mjncad, rtgt, trboxman and 1 others like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 60" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, Sprayer cart

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sennister For This Useful Post:

Kbar†(06-17-2019)

9. Top | #16
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks guys. I knew Iíd get some good hands on experience here. Thatís one of the things I really like about GTT. Everyone is here to help. You guys rock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mjncad, rtgt, JDSwan87 and 2 others like this.
    2019 1025R, iMatch, 120R FEL ,60D MMM, RB2060L rear blade, Rimguard, home made ballast/carry all, home made brush forks, Honda push mower, battery powered Stihl weed wacker and blower, and a crazy Doberman helper.

10. Top | #17

Last Online
    07-15-2019 @ 05:07 PM
    Thanks
    Bad wire can cause this also.

11. Top | #18

Last Online
    06-23-2019 @ 09:44 PM
    Thanks
    Throw the tip dip away. It can block or restrict the gas and contaminate the surface.
    Kennyd and Kbar like this.
    2019 2032R, Loader, 72" auto Connect, 59" snow blower
    797 72" zero turn

12. Top | #19
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:42 PM
    Thanks
    I’ll bet when your tank was full you were getting good beads. You probably have a flowmeter but the pressure will play into it. I have a much much larger cylinder but it is getting down around 300 psi right now and at that pressure I have to run my flow meter around 30 instead of 15 or I will get exactly that. With the smaller tank you’re going to see that variable much quicker.
    dieselshadow, trboxman and Kbar like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

13. Top | #20
    Last Online
    07-17-2019 @ 10:39 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ttazzman View Post
    ...or with a fan blowing on them.......
    This was going to be my guess. I learned a long time ago that a fan can really mess up your welds when migging. Welding is kind of an art form, but so is learning how to direct a fan on you that will effectively help cool you during a hot day of mig welding without having it disrupt your gas flow. Most welders I know will put a fan on a stand by where they're welding and have it pointing towards their head. Even having a fan cut on low and 15-20 feet away from you can mess up your welds if you have it pointed towards where you're welding.
    Herminator likes this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast