Pulling a Deep Well Pump with my Boom I built.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: Pulling a Deep Well Pump with my Boom I built.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:55 AM
    Thanks

Pulling a Deep Well Pump with my Boom I built.

Put the Boom on the tractor yesterday might pull a 405 ft deep well pump with it today? Welded a set up to hold the pipe with the winch cable and to hold it at the top of the casing while re/hooking the cable to the pipe. Calculated the weight at 160 lbs per 100 ft or around 450-500 lbs with water distribution removed from the weight at the beginning of the lift. Once I get some up it will get lighter and will be using my winch to lift with and the remote so I can watch the well closer. I have my 1000 lb scale to see how close I am to figuring the weight and to make sure I am not over loading the boom busting it loose from the casing. First I will do test lift for weight and then pull 20 ft up at a time and cut off the old pipe as it comes out. Going to install Heavy Wall Poly Pipe easier to install back in the casing and get out later! Put my pump in with poly pipe 24 years ago and still working great and I can pull it up by hand since my water table is high and helps with 30% 0f the weight to lift. I will take pictures of the process when I do it. This job will pay for all the materials I used to build it with!!
    Last edited by JD4044M; 08-14-2019 at 10:19 AM.
    mjncad, glc, etcallhome and 11 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:25 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,465 Times in 1,199 Posts
    405 feet, wow, are they charging Chinese tariffs on your water.
    mjncad, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 9 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:20 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,021 Times in 2,188 Posts
    Does your weight estimate include the weight of the water in the pipe?

Just looked it up out of curiosity. With a 1” pipe the weight of water is 0.34# per foot. So your 405’ run water weight will be 138#.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Thanks
    400+ foot wells are common in my area. I got very lucky with mine and hit 19gal/min @180feet. I believe the well was over drilled down to 200' for sedimentation.

I've been wondering how I would go about trying to replace my well pump when I need to. Pictures of your setup would be handy to see. Where did you get the tool for the pitless adaptor.
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:15 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,403 Times in 1,545 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    405 feet, wow, are they charging Chinese tariffs on your water.

or Water from Japan
    Herminator, PJR832 and JD4044M like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 05:15 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post
    I've been wondering how I would go about trying to replace my well pump when I need to.
    Our well is that deep,, when our pump went out due to lightning,, I called a local pump guy,,
    he brought his 25 year old son,, his son pulled that pump, hand over hand,,

I asked the father if we should help, the father said "NOPE" the boy liked the exercise,,,

So, 200 feet must not be too over-powering?
    mjncad, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 5 others like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 08:03 AM
    Thanks
    A total of 3 people pulled a 420 foot well. I pulled the t handle across the yard, the other 2 did the lifting at the case. He was about 50’ from a pond. My grandmother was on a river but also had to go to 400’.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:58 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post

Just looked it up out of curiosity. With a 1” pipe the weight of water is 0.34# per foot. So your 405’ run water weight will be 138#.
    That was my first question. There is water in that pipe in addition to the weight of the pipe, pump hanging off the end of it and the wiring.

We had our well replaced a year and a half ago. It was interesting to see the well guy splice in the power line to the pump leads. He used 1/4" copper tubing like what you see for a fridge supply line for butt splices. He pushed one wire in from each side of about a 1" chunk crimping the entire length. He said it provides more crimp surface to prevent it from slipping. He didn't really insulate it. Just some electrical tape.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 60" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, Sprayer cart

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post

I did look that up and figured it in but when the pipe is under water it does not add to the weight and the steel weighs around 33% less. You just hope the water table is high so it helps. Added in the 40-50 lb pump too.

When the poly pipe goes back in it is full of air and floats till the water fills it. This makes it real easy to install you just let it slowly slid in the well and hang onto the rope and wire! You have to have the Torque Arresters spaced on the pipe to protect it and the wire keeping it away from the sides to scar up. Be nice if you could fill the old one with air before lifting it out but the foot valve will stop you from pushing the water out unless it is leaking???
    Last edited by JD4044M; 08-14-2019 at 04:03 PM.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=CJadamec;3321562]400+ foot wells are common in my area. I got very lucky with mine and hit 19gal/min @180feet. I believe the well was over drilled down to 200' for sedimentation.

I've been wondering how I would go about trying to replace my well pump when I need to. Pictures of your setup would be handy to see. Where did you get the tool for the pitless adaptor.[/QUOTE

On a Pit Less Adapter they normally have a female threaded 1" hole you screw a 1" rigid pipe into for lifting the adapter out of the socket slide it is in. Look one up on the net lots of information on pulling one. This one the pipe is out the middle of the well cap where I can hook on to it easy for the first lift.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast