Decommisioning old 150 gallon gasoline refueling tank - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 28 of 28
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Decommisioning old 150 gallon gasoline refueling tank

  1. Top | #21
    MacCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:07 PM
    Location
    Northern Minnesota
    Posts
    361
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 41 Times in 31 Posts
    Problems solved. The tank guy from the local oil company was just out. The replacement tank is on the way. When the new tank gets here, he値l deliver it, I値l change over the pump, meter, filters, hoses and transfer the fuel, he値l fill the new tank the rest of the way and haul the old one away, residual fuel and all. Certainly simpler than I壇 hoped.
    Kennyd, rtgt, Levi and 8 others like this.
    2019 John Deere 1023E SCUT with 120R FEL
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Titan 3-Point 2" Receiver Hitch
    Titan 42 inch Chinese pallet forks
    Titan Chinese Ballast Box
    Field Tuff FTF-60PSR3PT Pine Straw Rake, 3 Pt - modified for 2" receiver
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #22
    MacCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:07 PM
    Location
    Northern Minnesota
    Posts
    361
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 41 Times in 31 Posts
    The tank I知 getting is about 30 gallons smaller than the previous one, with a smaller footprint. I should have enough room on the transport cart for a 30 gallon container I can fill with off-road diesel for the tractor. Bonus!
    rtgt, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    2019 John Deere 1023E SCUT with 120R FEL
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Titan 3-Point 2" Receiver Hitch
    Titan 42 inch Chinese pallet forks
    Titan Chinese Ballast Box
    Field Tuff FTF-60PSR3PT Pine Straw Rake, 3 Pt - modified for 2" receiver
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

  4. Top | #23
    MacCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:07 PM
    Location
    Northern Minnesota
    Posts
    361
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 41 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
    The tank I知 getting is about 30 gallons smaller than the previous one, with a smaller footprint. I should have enough room on the transport cart for a 30 gallon container I can fill with off-road diesel for the tractor. Bonus!
    Now my task is to find the right 30 gallon diesel container. I知 leaning toward a plain old 30 gallon fixed-top drum and putting a 12 volt transfer pump in it. Any tips on the drum? Where to go looking? Used? Lined? Stainless steel? Is plastic OK? (This will be sitting outside year-round in mid-Minnesota).

    I picked 30 gallons since I don稚 need it that often and 30 gallons is easily liftable into the back of the truck to transport for filling. I値l likely just take it over to the local convenience store for off-road diesel since my oil dealer charges $75 delivery for less than 100 gallons. I壇 only make out on that if I needed happened to need gasoline and diesel at the same time.
    Levi likes this.
    2019 John Deere 1023E SCUT with 120R FEL
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Titan 3-Point 2" Receiver Hitch
    Titan 42 inch Chinese pallet forks
    Titan Chinese Ballast Box
    Field Tuff FTF-60PSR3PT Pine Straw Rake, 3 Pt - modified for 2" receiver
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #24

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Location
    North Louisiana
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Deleted
    Last edited by Coondog; Today at 03:14 PM.

  7. Top | #25

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Location
    North Louisiana
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    As a retired project manager and project engineer involved with offshore rig and drillship construction and refurbishment I can tell you that you can flush it with water a zillion times and still blow it up with a spark. The steel will always have residual fuel embedded in it. Fill it full of water and open all of the penetrations on top such as the fill and vent openings and then you can cut the top out with acetylene or plasma or whatever. Once opened so it can ventilate you can go ahead and cut it up. The objective is eliminate the capture of any fumes in dead or trapped spaces. For large fuel tanks such as on ships (60,000 barrels) the procedure is to fill the tank with fuel to 90% capacity and then displace the remaining atmosphere with CO2 to render the gaseous space inert. Hope this helps.
    MacCool likes this.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Coondog For This Useful Post:

    MacCool(Today)

  9. Top | #26
    MacCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:07 PM
    Location
    Northern Minnesota
    Posts
    361
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 41 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coondog View Post
    As a retired project manager and project engineer involved with offshore rig and drillship construction and refurbishment I can tell you that you can flush it with water a zillion times and still blow it up with a spark. The steel will always have residual fuel embedded in it. Fill it full of water and open all of the penetrations on top such as the fill and vent openings and then you can cut the top out with acetylene or plasma or whatever. Once opened so it can ventilate you can go ahead and cut it up. The objective is eliminate the capture of any fumes in dead or trapped spaces. For large fuel tanks such as on ships (60,000 barrels) the procedure is to fill the tank with fuel to 90% capacity and then displace the remaining atmosphere with CO2 to render the gaseous space inert. Hope this helps.
    That's very interesting and I appreciate the information. The company that's dropping off the new tank is going to haul the old one away, residual gasoline and all. My delivery guy will pump the rest of the gas, flush it with water and dispose of it at the Hazardous Waste facility (the oil company apparently has a hazardous waste generator permit). He'll cut it up as you said...fill with water, then CO2, then cut the top off. The good news for me is that he's willing to take the problem off my hands.
    2019 John Deere 1023E SCUT with 120R FEL
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Titan 3-Point 2" Receiver Hitch
    Titan 42 inch Chinese pallet forks
    Titan Chinese Ballast Box
    Field Tuff FTF-60PSR3PT Pine Straw Rake, 3 Pt - modified for 2" receiver
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

  10. Top | #27
    martincom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:06 PM
    Location
    Brainerd, MN
    Posts
    1,426
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 271 Times in 209 Posts
    The good news for me is that he's willing to take the problem off my hands.
    Some guys just lead a charmed life
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

  11. Top | #28
    MacCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:07 PM
    Location
    Northern Minnesota
    Posts
    361
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 41 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
    Now my task is to find the right 30 gallon diesel container. I知 leaning toward a plain old 30 gallon fixed-top drum and putting a 12 volt transfer pump in it. Any tips on the drum? Where to go looking? Used? Lined? Stainless steel? Is plastic OK? (This will be sitting outside year-round in mid-Minnesota).

    I picked 30 gallons since I don稚 need it that often and 30 gallons is easily liftable into the back of the truck to transport for filling. I値l likely just take it over to the local convenience store for off-road diesel since my oil dealer charges $75 delivery for less than 100 gallons. I壇 only make out on that if I needed happened to need gasoline and diesel at the same time.
    I have a new 30 gallon fixed-top drum coming as well as a Fill-Rite crank pump with 3/4 inch hose. I'll add an inline particulate filter and put the whole unit on a little drum dolly, and keep in in the garage/workshop building. For filling the drum with diesel, I'll use the forks to either lift it into the truck bed on the drum dolly, or move the drum to a pallet and lift it on the pallet.

    My one area of concern...will a 1 inch diesel pump nozzle fit through the 3/4 inch NPT bung? I see a couple of folks on the web that say it will. I watched Tim Marks' video on his fuel storage solution and note that he took it to the gas station and filled his drum with the crank pump in place in the 2" bung. The video didn't show it, but I am assuming therefore that he filled that drum with the diesel nozzle in the 3/4 inch bung.
    2019 John Deere 1023E SCUT with 120R FEL
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Titan 3-Point 2" Receiver Hitch
    Titan 42 inch Chinese pallet forks
    Titan Chinese Ballast Box
    Field Tuff FTF-60PSR3PT Pine Straw Rake, 3 Pt - modified for 2" receiver
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

  12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts