Green Tractor Talk banner

Custom Ballast Box for 1 Series

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  o2bnavw2 
#1 ·
I had an issue of the shed being too short for the snowblower attachment and the John Deere ballast box. I decided to fabricate one instead of using tire weights and loaded tires. The following shows the fabrication process I used.

I pre fabricated the box using a cardboard box to get the fit. This shows the room I had to work with in the shed.

Bumper

This is the front view of the tractor showing very little wiggle room.

Yellow Vehicle Asphalt

First thing I did was install a receiver hitch on the existing plate.

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Auto part Wheel

This is the cardboard mock up showing the indents for the PTO and 3 point lift arms.

Tool Machine

I used a piece of 2" square stock to use as the receiver. This runs through to the rear of the weight and has reed bar welded to it and running up through the weight. I tied the front and rear of the weight together with reed bar also. For the top 3 point hitch mount I used a piece of 1 3/4" square stock and ran reed bar back into the weight to provide strength. Once the welding and reed bar was completed, I poured the box full of concrete.

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Automotive wheel system Automotive tire

I then welded the top on the box and primed the box.

Floor Marble Table Architecture Flooring

I then painted it John Deere yellow. The hook screws into a nut half way down the weight which I welded reed bar to prior to pouring the concrete.

Yellow Furniture

I then painted the receiver points and the hook black.

Yellow

The ballast box mounts to the tractor by sliding the 2" receiver bar into the receiver and putting a pin through the top 3 point hitch mount. Here is a picture of the finished product.

Vehicle Asphalt Transport Mode of transport Road surface

See less See more
#4 ·
Great fab work. Looks professional.:bigthumb:

#7 ·
Real nice, good that you have the chain hoist to lift it for installation. Genius idea though, :bigthumb:.

Reactions: Toughsox
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.