Green Tractor Talk banner

Welding Projects: Backhoe Dolly, Brush Forks, Mechanical Thumb, Shovel holder

7K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  mjncad 
#1 · (Edited)
Here's some things I've designed and made using various steel tubing. I only have an acetyline outfit, so some of these have taken a while to put together. These are all prototypes and they are being tested in my world.

1. Backhoe Dolly -
Made with 2x2 steel and 2.5" casters. Very simple and it works great.
Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire Tire Agricultural machinery
Bicycle accessory Vehicle Automotive exterior Chassis Bumper

2. Brush Forks. Made with 1x2 and 2x2. Very stout and useful. Have these on most of the time. Mount with one bolt on each side so it pivots up and you can use the bucket if necessary. Use for brush and also they can do cultivation, move rocks, etc.
I welded the forks to the back piece, then put the 2x2 spacers in between.
Metal Furniture Steel

3. Mechanical Thumb
Always wanted a thumb, but don't use it much because the forks do about everything I need. Based on the Bro-Tek thumb; I had a local fabricator make the side plates from 5/16 steel from a template I gave them (cost $150). The thumb is 1x2 (3) and I used the stock 3 pt. hitch top link. I used grade 5 parts and 3/4" bolts instead of 1" which I think is overkill based on the forces that the backhoe can produce. Works great and I have about $200 into it. Would go for grade 8 bolts if I was going to use it a lot.

Vehicle Machine Auto part
Bumper
Vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part

4, Shovel Holder
No welding here. Just 2x2 steel. Uses existng bolts that mount the turn signal. Bolted a piece of 3/4" angle inside the bottom as a stop. Works great - may add another one on the other side.
Tire
Automotive tire Machine Vehicle

Forks and Thumb at work:
Tractor Vehicle Agricultural machinery Tree Soil

See less See more
#4 ·
What are the dimensions to the Backhoe dolly? Is a Schematic / blueprint available?

#5 ·
Backhoe Dolly Dimensions

Here is a drawing with the dimensions.
This is slightly different than the one in my pictures. I have only made one, but this is what the next one would look like.
Also, this one can be made 100% bolt-together if you don't have a welder. Casters would mount with U-bolts.

Parallel Technical drawing Diagram

#7 ·
"Here's some things I've designed and made using various steel tubing. I only have an acetyline outfit, so some of these have taken a while to put together. These are all prototypes and they are being tested in my world."

Having "been there,done that"---that's quite an understatement. Once you aquire some sort of arc-welding equipment and get a little practice you'll think you've ascended to Heaven..... I must say you've done quite well with the tools at hand.:bigthumb:

#8 ·
I don't even know what that type of welding entails and it sounds like torture!

I have a decent mig with gas but any welding I do I still consider hobby grade as I'm by no means a pro. I can't imagine doing things with any less than a mig and getting something functional out of it.

Reactions: BigJim55
#9 ·
The last time I did any O/A welding was in 8th grade metal shop in the early 70's. We had to cut apart exhaust pipe tubing lengthwise and put it back together. It was doable on thin metal with minimal material to heat; but I can only imagine doing O/A welding on thick material takes patience and a lot of expensive acetylene.

Back then I liked O/A welding as it was easy to see what I was doing as auto darkening helmets weren't even a wet dream.

Reactions: BigJim55
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.