I finally got my Bridgeport Mill finished. It took me a lot longer than I intended but I'm happy with it. It's a 54 year old machine but it's showing normal wear according to my rebuild book. I purchased this mill from a local machine shop. I replaced quite a few parts in the quill assembly and upper unit which included new bushings, bearings, two new shafts and missing quill feed parts. The X and Y lead screw nuts were also replaced. The X axis lead screw is in great shape, but the Y axis lead screw is worn in the center because it wasn't getting any lube due to the grease clogged passages. I'm going to replace that in the very near future. I completely tore the whole mill down to its basic pieces and cleaned everything up and repainted as I did with my lathe. You would think that a machine shop would know that the alemite fittings are intended for oil and not grease but this mill had been greased and all of the way passages were clogged with grease. The precision bearings in the quill are in good shape thankfully because they are quite expensive. Although this machine has fewer parts than my South Bend Lathe it was harder to do because everything is SO heavy. I purchased a hydraulic lift table (1000 lb capacity) from Harbor Freight to help in addition to my 2 ton engine hoist. The lift table was very handy.
I'm controlling this mill with another TECO FM50 VFD which turns my single phase 220V to 3 phase 220V. I've also included a POT to vary the speed and included an Emergency Stop Button in the pushbutton station you can see in the photos.
I haven't used the mill yet but I'm going to in the near future. I just purchased a new R8 collet set today and a collet rack to attach to the mill. I got a few old collets when I bought the mill along with 6" machinist vise. It's not a Kurt vise but I think it's going to be okay. I'll have to wait and see. I cleaned it up also and repainted it and it looks pretty good.
Still to come is a DRO for the X/Y axis. Have to pay the real estate property taxes first.
Didn't see the dust/dirt on this when I took the photo.
The Forward/Off/Reverse switch used to be on the side of the motor cover where you see the new aluminum junction box I fabricated in order to fill in the large hole that was left.