Staged a lathe intervention a couple days ago...
Like Tree18Likes
  • 9 Post By tomd999
  • 1 Post By Kennyd
  • 2 Post By 56FordGuy
  • 1 Post By RandyM
  • 2 Post By tomd999
  • 3 Post By tomd999

Thread: Staged a lathe intervention a couple days ago...

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks

Staged a lathe intervention a couple days ago...

Hiya,

Been shopping around for a knee mill the last week or so, sort of a Christmas present to myself, more on that shortly. (Yes Randy, with pictures of course)

I know, get to the lathe intervention already.....

From a CL ad I went to see a round ram post-war series Bridgeport with a 36" table that was advertised as "great condition" that turned out to be in an unheated dirt floor shed, ram seized in place, ways grooved and sloppy, table face rusted. So needless to say, I passed on the BP

As I was leaving we stopped in the guys garage so he could shut off the lights in the shed and on the bench was a small Craftsman Atlas 6 inch lathe and a box of tooling parts for it. I asked the guy about it and he said he just got it from a widow down the road and was going to put it in the shed with the BP as he had no use for it. Of course I made him an offer and we haggled a bit but it ended up in my trunk.

Here is is, I grabbed an old steel cart I had in the barn to plunk it on. It's in need of a good cleaning and painting, the cross feed handle is broken off but the screw isn't bent and turns free so I just need to hunt up a handle end. The ways are very good, don't bind at the ends of travel, the head stock turns free and easy, it's a bushing model, not a Timkin roller head so it's early-mid 60's dated. The motor is original and working, I expect it will need to get some love at the motor shop before too long. I haven't decided if I'm going to keep it or not as it's way too small for gunsmithing and not really accurate enough for barrel work but it would make a great starter/apprentice lathe or somebody making pen sets/chess pieces/darts.

I really don't have the space or time for yet another project. Time will tell but if your interested, let me know and if you make the case that you should be able to adopt the 'lil rescued lathe I'll cut you a special GTT deal but you have promise everyone here to always treat it right and not neglect it and stick it out back in the shed to rust away and if you sell it you sell it to another person that will do the same. And of course, post pictures...

Tom
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG00203.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	440.6 KB 
ID:	102705
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:16 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,030 Times in 2,510 Posts
    Nice score Tom, I'm looking forwards to seeing the first parts that come off of it!
    rtgt likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:09 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,088 Posts
    Those little 6" Atlas lathes have a really big following.

A lot of parts are still available new from Clausing, the company that bought Atlas. I bought several things from them for my 10" lathe cheaper than used parts cost on eBay.
    etcallhome and rtgt like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 672 Posts
    Way to go Tom! My guess is you'll fall in love with it an it'll become another tool in your shop. At the very least give the o'l gal good cleaning and lube.

And, I am really glad you live half a country away from me, I'd be really, really tempted by your offer.

So, when does the milling machine come home?
    rtgt likes this.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyM View Post
    Way to go Tom! My guess is you'll fall in love with it an it'll become another tool in your shop. At the very least give the o'l gal good cleaning and lube.

And, I am really glad you live half a country away from me, I'd be really, really tempted by your offer.

So, when does the milling machine come home?
    Hey Randy,

Na, not going to fall in love, it's just not accurate enough for me. I'm negotiating with a dealer for a South Bend precision lathe with taper attachment to replace the basic logan I currently have. (Can't bring myself to buy new machine tools from China when there are plenty of good used US machines to be had still)

Like I said, those hobby lathes just aren't up to dealing with the tougher to cut alloys as they simply don't have the mass and they deflect slightly changing the diameter of the part as the carriage traverses the bed.

This is an outstanding setup for an apprentice or hobby person. I'll put the tooling on a counter and take a picture so everyone can see the complete package. (I may be able to scare up a spare motor for it that should work better than the original.

You know, it can always be shipped out to you.... Let me know.
    Last edited by tomd999; 12-23-2015 at 07:18 PM.
    RandyM and rtgt like this.
    2010 3320 Cab
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise

Stuff for Sale:

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomd999 View Post
    Hey Randy,

You know, it can always be shipped out to you.... Let me know.
    Yeah, why did I know you were going to make that suggestion. Thanks anyway.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Hiya,

The 'Lil rescued lathe has found a new forever home, another tractor nut adopted. He's a Lil' Red tractor restorer guy, Wheel Horse, but hey, it's all good. I know it will be happy with it's new parents as he scared up a NOS milling table, a set of collets/draw bar for it and bought an AXA tool holder before he picked it up.

Tom
    2010 3320 Cab

Stuff for Sale:

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-02-2019 @ 02:28 PM
    Thanks
    They're a great little lathe! I've got a Timken roller bearing one, and I've used the heck out of it! Like you say, it's not perfect accurate if you're taking a heavy cut, but setup right, and used for what they can handle, they do just fine. The half nut on mine needs some love, but other than that it's been trouble free for a long time, and sure alot handier for little stuff than my Monarch or Mueller!
    JH

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:02 AM
    Thanks
    I have an Atlas 618 that was my Father's old lathe. He got a new lathe a few years ago and the Atlas was moved to his shed. I offered to put it in my shed (pole barn/shop) and I have had it for a few years. I don't use it much but it is handy to have around. He has the mill attachment for it but he has that as it was adopted to fit his new machine. A few years ago this one was switched to the AXA tool holder. That was a big improvement.

There is a yahoo group for the Atlas 618. There is a lot of info out there which is pretty interesting.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements