Bridgeport J head northern migration, yes, they migrate, just like coconuts....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Bridgeport J head northern migration, yes, they migrate, just like coconuts....

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks

Bridgeport J head northern migration, yes, they migrate, just like coconuts....

Hiya,

I know, a bit silly with the title but hey, that's me.

So the last couple weeks I decided to buy myself a Christmas present. a little back story, I used to be a gunsmith and had a full time shop for 16 years specializing in custom pistols and rifles. I've been out of the business for 7 years and frankly miss it. I'm talking to a few of my buddy's still in the business who can't keep up with demand and I'm going to sub contract some of the non bound-book work for them.

I initially was just going to go buy a new Jet, Acer or Sharpe J-head clone with a 3 axis DRO and X/Y power feeds and call it a day but as nice as they are, it just eats at me that they're clones and not the real deal. As I started to browse CL and the used equipment shops I found plenty of machines that would do the job but none that really stood out.

Oh sure, there were 20K machines right down to $500 rusted POS sitting outside in the weather. I sat and watched CL a few times a day to see what would pop up. a few days ago an ad showed up, said "70's era step pulley J head, like new"

Of course I doubted it but I sent my boiler plate questions:
    "Any issues with the head/motor/quill? Head backgear OK? Quill power feed transmission/clutch good? Releases properly? Are the pulley dogs loud? Is it still hooked to power to hear it run? What's the backlash on the saddle and table?"

In return I got: "The machine is in 100% working condition. Spindle runout is less than 0.0005” TIR. Power quill feed works properly and clutch releases as intended. Back gears are excellent. Head is extremely quiet in both high gear and back gear. Very little backlash in the dog clutch. Table and saddle run smoothly over entire length of travel. About 0.015” backlash at worst point in both X & Y travel ( can probably be reduced by adjusting the nuts). Table top is near perfect. No mill or drill marks. Machine is under power. Not stated in the ad – this machine has one shot lubrication. The only thing that this machine needs is some paint. Was in a basement of a retired machinist but not used for at least 10 years other than big drill press"

Yep, got right on the phone and went to see it. Got to his shop and it was everything he said it was. Fired it up and didn't notice the motor was pulled forward so the belt didn't turn the spindle, shut it of and put proper tension on the belt, fired it back up and there was almost no difference in sound. The power transmission and clutch work properly, the backgears are super quiet. What he didn't say in his reply is the ways and the majority of the table surface have the famous BP frosting swirls on them, backing up his "like new" claim. I bought it on the spot. Came with a Bridgeport vise on a swivel base, 1/16" collet set, Jacobs chuck, 3" single bit fly cutter, saw arbor, 8 end mills, (3/8 to 3/4)

Picked it up this morning and here is is. The knee and ram are stiff and draggy from hardened way oil from sitting, the paint is ugly, chipped, crazed and one coat, appears from the factory. (not sure why it shows a blue hue in the picture, may be the LED worklight in my garage) There is dried oil residue everywhere, I'm currently letting some penetrating oil eat into the old oil and wiping it off as it loosens up.

First up on the list is a phase converter and a 3 axis DRO because I am sick of reading dials and having "oops". After that at least an X axis powerfeed, an XY if I can swing it but I may need to get some work out before I buy too many toys.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	right side.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	103305 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jhead.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	103313 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front left.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	103321

I tried to capture the frosting on the ways and table, you can see it but not great.

Name:	frosting tips.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	103329
    Last edited by tomd999; 12-23-2015 at 09:15 PM.
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:52 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,288 Times in 2,580 Posts

Congrats Tom!

One of these days I may score one myself.
    farmgirl19 likes this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:38 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 994 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomd999 View Post
    Hiya,

I know, a bit silly with the title but hey, that's me.

So the last couple weeks I decided to buy myself a Christmas present. a little back story, I used to be a gunsmith and had a full time shop for 16 years specializing in custom pistols and rifles. I've been out of the business for 7 years and frankly miss it. I'm talking to a few of my buddy's still in the business who can't keep up with demand and I'm going to sub contract some of the non bound-book work for them.

I initially was just going to go buy a new Jet, Acer or Sharpe J-head clone with a 3 axis DRO and X/Y power feeds and call it a day but as nice as they are, it just eats at me that they're clones and not the real deal. As I started to browse CL and the used equipment shops I found plenty of machines that would do the job but none that really stood out.

Oh sure, there were 20K machines right down to $500 rusted POS sitting outside in the weather. I sat and watched CL a few times a day to see what would pop up. a few days ago an ad showed up, said "70's era step pulley J head, like new"

Of course I doubted it but I sent my boiler plate questions:
    "Any issues with the head/motor/quill? Head backgear OK? Quill power feed transmission/clutch good? Releases properly? Are the pulley dogs loud? Is it still hooked to power to hear it run? What's the backlash on the saddle and table?"

In return I got: "The machine is in 100% working condition. Spindle runout is less than 0.0005” TIR. Power quill feed works properly and clutch releases as intended. Back gears are excellent. Head is extremely quiet in both high gear and back gear. Very little backlash in the dog clutch. Table and saddle run smoothly over entire length of travel. About 0.015” backlash at worst point in both X & Y travel ( can probably be reduced by adjusting the nuts). Table top is near perfect. No mill or drill marks. Machine is under power. Not stated in the ad – this machine has one shot lubrication. The only thing that this machine needs is some paint. Was in a basement of a retired machinist but not used for at least 10 years other than big drill press"

Yep, got right on the phone and went to see it. Got to his shop and it was everything he said it was. Fired it up and didn't notice the motor was pulled forward so the belt didn't turn the spindle, shut it of and put proper tension on the belt, fired it back up and there was almost no difference in sound. The power transmission and clutch work properly, the backgears are super quiet. What he didn't say in his reply is the ways and the majority of the table surface have the famous BP frosting swirls on them, backing up his "like new" claim. I bought it on the spot. Came with a Bridgeport vise on a swivel base, 1/16" collet set, Jacobs chuck, 3" single bit fly cutter, saw arbor, 8 end mills, (3/8 to 3/4)

Picked it up this morning and here is is. The knee and ram are stiff and draggy from hardened way oil from sitting, the paint is ugly, chipped, crazed and one coat, appears from the factory. (not sure why it shows a blue hue in the picture, may be the LED worklight in my garage) There is dried oil residue everywhere, I'm currently letting some penetrating oil eat into the old oil and wiping it off as it loosens up.

First up on the list is a phase converter and a 3 axis DRO because I am sick of reading dials and having "oops". After that at least an X axis powerfeed, an XY if I can swing it but I may need to get some work out before I buy too many toys.

Name:	right side.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	103305 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jhead.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	103313 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front left.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	103321

I tried to capture the frosting on the ways and table, you can see it but not great.

Name:	frosting tips.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	103329
    Nice find Tom. Good luck with it. Wouldn't you know I recently gave away a 5 HP Roto-phase unit in like-new condition. Did you move that thing yourself? I want to come up and see it when you get it running.

Merry Christmas to you!!

Frank
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:07 AM
    Thanks
    Congratulations!
    I have more ideas than ambition.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:34 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,030 Times in 2,510 Posts
    Nice score Tom!
    Have you considered a VFD for power?
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:42 AM
    Thanks
    Nice score!
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 672 Posts
    What a fantastic Christmas present!

Dave, I have not added DRO to my machine, yet. And I don't know which ones you are considering, but when I finally get in the spending mood I am buying form these guys DRO Pros. I have heard some very good things about them. Also, check out this site, Hobby-Machinist.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Nice score Tom!
    Have you considered a VFD for power?
    Ken,

Don't know yet, I haven't had to deal with phase converters before as my shop was located where 3 phase was available at the pole. I understand that the vfd type don't let the motor generate rated hp and that the rotary types allow full hp and torque but have higher voltage on the 3rd sine.

I may see about getting a single phase motor for it. There is a kit that has a 1-1/2hp Baldor 110/220 that would allow me to plug it into the wall and not have to deal with wiring and electricians. Yes, it wouldn't have the same torque but the motor being 50% more hp it should be the same.

Tom
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:34 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,030 Times in 2,510 Posts
    Tom, VFDs do indeed allow full HP and offer variable speed as well. It is static phase converters that limit HP to 2/3rds.
    Do some searching, I think you'll be impressed. I have three different machines in my shop powered by them and wouldn't change for any reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mjncad likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

12. Top | #10
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Nice Christmas present!!
    mjncad likes this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast