Pellet Stove Firepot Rebuild?

Thread: Pellet Stove Firepot Rebuild?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 08:04 PM
    Thanks

Pellet Stove Firepot Rebuild?

I have a pellet stove that I've been using for the last 4 winters and the firepot is slowly disintegrating on me. Not sure how common of a problem that is with pellet stoves in general but... I ordered a replacement @ $115 that will be here in a few days so my short term needs are taken care of.

But I'd like to try and salvage the old pot as a back-up. What type of steel would I need to use to weld in a patch and make this useable in the future? This is what the pellets drop into and burn in so it's exposed to flame 24/7 for 4-5 months out of the year.

I have some 3" wide, .125" thick hot-rolled steel but I'm not sure that will withstand the heat.

I'm attaching pics of the firepot from above, the burned out side and the other side (which seems to be fine)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160106_180145.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	669.8 KB 
ID:	110602

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160106_180113.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	641.0 KB 
ID:	110618
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160106_180056.jpg  
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 07:38 AM
    Thanks
    Wow! We have a Harmon and the burn pot is good to go after some 20+ years. The Cast Iron flame spreader split 3 years ago but, that is about all. Your burn pot seems EZ to weld up a duplicate or repair. Wish you good fortune there. Sorry I can't give any other helpful advice otherwise.
    2017 Ford F350, 6.7, DRW, 4x4.

1026R with block heater and Curtis Cab, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks combo, 54" Front Mount snow blower, 60" MMM, H-120 FEL, Ballast Box, 100Lbs wheel weights, BB2048, sprayer with 7' boom, Front Mount HeavyHitch, John Deere tow behind spreader, 260 Backhoe With BXPanded Thumbs, Bro-Tek 1.5" Spacers.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 08:04 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseMouse View Post
    Wow! We have a Harmon and the burn pot is good to go after some 20+ years. The Cast Iron flame spreader split 3 years ago but, that is about all. Your burn pot seems EZ to weld up a duplicate or repair. Wish you good fortune there. Sorry I can't give any other helpful advice otherwise.

Yeah. I expected this one to last longer. Kinda disappointed but it's a cheap stove so, ya gets what ya pays for!

It is a little weird that it only burned out on that one side though. It doesn't seem to get any more heat than any other part of the firepot so I'm not sure why that one side burned up and the rest of it seems fine. Maybe it was a bad piece of steel to begin with?
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 07:38 AM
    Thanks
    Without actually seeing how your stove operates.... It may be how the Air is blown into the combustion chamber. One side may be blocked or restricted which the Free air enters on the other side causing higher heat to the other side. I have seen stoves where the Pellets drop into the chamber.. Ours has an auger that feeds the chamber and at times it loads to one side at times due to Combustion chamber build-up of crud.
    2017 Ford F350, 6.7, DRW, 4x4.

1026R with block heater and Curtis Cab, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks combo, 54" Front Mount snow blower, 60" MMM, H-120 FEL, Ballast Box, 100Lbs wheel weights, BB2048, sprayer with 7' boom, Front Mount HeavyHitch, John Deere tow behind spreader, 260 Backhoe With BXPanded Thumbs, Bro-Tek 1.5" Spacers.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 08:01 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    It is a little weird that it only burned out on that one side though.

It doesn't seem to get any more heat than any other part of the firepot so I'm not sure why that one side burned up and the rest of it seems fine.

Maybe it was a bad piece of steel to begin with?
    I doubt bad steel,,, the cheapest steel is pretty good steel,,,
    IMO, somehow the flame was directed at that side,,, selectively.

I doubt 1/8" steel would last a season. If it were mine,,, I would be fabbing out of 1/2",,
    steel is cheap, compared to the fab effort,,, and being cold!!

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:09 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,657 Times in 1,088 Posts
    The firepot on our stove is cast, but yours doesn't appear to be.

I would try and use whatever is the closest to the factory dimensions. Hot rolled A36 (typical) steel should be fine, I suspect that's what the OEM used.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    I used to have a "cheaper " utility pellet stove and the burn pot was made from 400 series stainless steel. You can possibly patch it with your 12 ga hot rolled fairly easy (if you just want it as a backup.

Put a double thick patch on it and go to town. Whats the worst that can happen, it doesn't last very long? You'll only need it long enough for a new one to arrive...

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements