Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: New Welder

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:00 PM
    Thanks

New Welder

Well got another toy. I had been looking at the Hobart Holder 140 welders. Well I went to the store as they had a sale going. I ended up getting a Holder 190 for a little more than what the 140 would have cost. The 190 can do 5/16. I probably won't do anything more than 1/4 but that would be pushing the 140 to the limit where with the 190 it will go better.

I will start with the flux core but being I am a homebrewer I have a 10# and 20# tanks of CO2 for my keg systems. I need to get the adapter though so I can connect it to the regulator.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Thanks

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    08-06-2019 @ 08:19 PM
    Thanks
    What type of wire are you using?
    2013 1025R, H120 FEL, 54" AutoConnect Deck w/ Ind. Lift and Mulching Kit, John Deere 647 Roto-Tiller 48”, 54" JD Front Hydraulic Blade, Frontier 2060L Rear 5’ Blade, I-Match, Heavy Hitch with 8 Suitcase weights and 2" trailer receiver hitch, Ken's Bolt on hooks and Pedal Extension, Mower Deck Axles, Rim Guard in Tires, PSrumors heavy seat springs, Artillian's Horse Blinders and UHMW cutting edge.

Life Sponsor Ducks Unlimited
    Life Member of NRA

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Yeah Handler 190. Not Holder

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

7. Top | #5
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:37 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,955 Times in 2,915 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    Well got another toy. I had been looking at the Hobart Holder 140 welders. Well I went to the store as they had a sale going. I ended up getting a Holder 190 for a little more than what the 140 would have cost. The 190 can do 5/16. I probably won't do anything more than 1/4 but that would be pushing the 140 to the limit where with the 190 it will go better.

I will start with the flux core but being I am a homebrewer I have a 10# and 20# tanks of CO2 for my keg systems. I need to get the adapter though so I can connect it to the regulator.
    Yeah ok.
    rtgt, flyweight and Jim Timber like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    What type of wire are you using?
    It came with .030 Flux Core but when I have my first project I will likely get solid core. I am waiting to get any for now until I have that project lined up and figure out how thick the material is going to be.

JD X585, 54C deck,

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    08-06-2019 @ 08:19 PM
    Thanks
    The reason I was asking about the wire being used drives the type of shielding gas to use. On Flux core wire the letter at the end of the wire designation can determine if C (Co2) or M (Mix). The in-correct gas can have a negative effect on the welding results. Just saying
    Last edited by Eugene; 01-24-2016 at 03:45 PM.
    2013 1025R, H120 FEL, 54" AutoConnect Deck w/ Ind. Lift and Mulching Kit, John Deere 647 Roto-Tiller 48”, 54" JD Front Hydraulic Blade, Frontier 2060L Rear 5’ Blade, I-Match, Heavy Hitch with 8 Suitcase weights and 2" trailer receiver hitch, Ken's Bolt on hooks and Pedal Extension, Mower Deck Axles, Rim Guard in Tires, PSrumors heavy seat springs, Artillian's Horse Blinders and UHMW cutting edge.

Life Sponsor Ducks Unlimited
    Life Member of NRA

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The reason I was asking about the wire being used drives the type of shielding gas to use. On Flux core wire the letter at the end of the wire designation can determine if C (Co2) or M (Mix). The in-correct gas can have a negative effect on the welding results. Just saying
    Yeah, the Flux Core that comes with it is designed to use with no gas. Since they know you don't get a tank with the welder and they are providing everything to get going other than safety equipment. They provided a wire that you don't need gas with.

One question I have is that I read in the manual that they have a different regulator for use with CO2. That said I have read of people just using adapters. So is there a difference with the regulators other than threads? I am familiar with regulators for the beer side of the house and I have several. Any reason I couldn't use one of them if there is a difference? The beer regulators have a high pressure gauge and a low pressure gauge. The high pressure is there to give you an idea of how much gas is left in the tank or more importantly when the HP gauge starts dropping that means you are out of liquid in the tank and it is going to be empty soon. Then the low pressure gauge shows what the regulator is letting out. With beer that LP side is normally set to 10-15psi depending on the temp of the beer and style you are going for. I didn't look at the regulator that came with the welder but it is a dual gauge setup very similar to what we use on the beer side. At least at a glance they are nearly the same but that doesn't mean much.

JD X585, 54C deck,

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I also have been thinking my first project should be a cart. I didn't buy one and I have read how many are flimsy. So a perfect excuse to try and find some plans for what I would like to build. I am thinking about something that will have some drawers so I can keep tips and other supplies all together.

JD X585, 54C deck,

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,035 Times in 2,514 Posts
    Eugene, please help me understand this, generally with "flux core" wire no shielding gas is used, unless there is some special process that I'm unfamiliar with-but for the backyard hobby welder that is the advantage of using flux core wire.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast