• 3 Post By 56FordGuy
  • 1 Post By 56FordGuy

Thread: Everlast Powerpro 256S Multi-Process with Plasma Cutter

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 09:22 PM
    Thanks

Everlast Powerpro 256S Multi-Process with Plasma Cutter

I am considering the purchase of a welder and cutting equipment. As the title suggests I've become intrigued with the Everlast Powerpro 256S and 256D as they are multi-process with Plasma capabilities as well. Here is a link to the product page:

Everlast Powerpro 256S
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PowerPro-256S_0.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	121865

The other model available here:
    Everlast Powerpro 256D
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	256d2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	121873

As far as I can tell is exactly the same unit but with a computer on board instead of individual dials, the only advantage is memories. I can not justify another $1000.00 for that feature, plus there is some suggestion from reviews that a failed computer board is fairly common.

I'm curious to know if anyone out there has used either of these units, or at least this brand.

I have had experience with Mig, Stick, and Plasma cutting in the past but it has been many years and nothing more than hobby/farm use. Which is still what I am considering it for, modifying the occasional ag implement or worst case scenario building a trailer to haul my green machine around. I love the way plasma cutters work but they are inherently expensive on their own so combining equipment seems novel to me.

I am also considering the purchase of an Oxy-Acetylene Torch but also considering an Oxy-Propane due to the savings in fuel. So I would be interested in thoughts on that as well.

THANKS FOR YOUR WISDOM OH GREAT GTT MEMBERS.
    2014 John Deere 1025R, 54D MMM, H120 Loader, 647 Rotary Tiller (purchased new from dealer April 2014)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:33 PM
    Thanks
    Oxy-propane is for the under 30 guys,,, with a REAL steady hand,,, (not me,,, LOL!)

No shaking allowed,, the burn stops.

I used oxy-propane on a machine (cnc) torch,, it gives FAR better cuts than acetylene,,,

My plasma cutter cost $3,600 a decade ago,, so I have nothing for you on that machine.

I would never cut anything over 1/4" with any plasma,,, unless all you need is to sever.

The angle of the plasma cut is WAY too much for my use.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    Oxy-propane is for the under 30 guys,,, with a REAL steady hand,,, (not me,,, LOL!)

No shaking allowed,, the burn stops.
    Do you mean because of distance from torch tip to material? Can you braze with Oxy-Propane?
    2014 John Deere 1025R, 54D MMM, H120 Loader, 647 Rotary Tiller (purchased new from dealer April 2014)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:33 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KD7CAO View Post
    Do you mean because of distance from torch tip to material? Can you braze with Oxy-Propane?
    O-P is far lower temp, so there is far less preheat,,,
    It is almost like you are just using the oxygen, after the initial preheat,,
    once the cutting starts,, the oxygen has to be exactly at the right place to continue the cut.

I doubt you can braze with propane,, but, they have brought out new alloys since I was trained,,,

There are many types of high strength silver solders that can be used with O-P.
    Again,, that is not my expertootolage,,

I use a BIG band saw for most cuts, O-A for thick steel, plasma for under 5/16" and
    some day I will get my CNC torch running again,, using O-P,,, just for fun,,,

Here are some 1" thick parts I have made with O-P,,,

Here is O-P cutting 3/4",,, the plasma torch is just standing fire watch,,,
    (the ex-Navy guys know what standing fire watch means,,,)

johnH123 likes this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:09 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,088 Posts
    With regard to Everlast welders, I have owned one and was not impressed. While functional, they're made overseas in the same plant as a handful of other import welding machines. When designs change, there is no parts supply for older models. Seems like designs change with every sea container full they send over.

To be fair, mine did function. It came with 3' long leads that might've been 8 gauge wire and the ground clamp was hardly thicker than a tin can. I replaced the leads and the clamp, after that it worked passably.

I understand the appeal, buying from established brands is a lot more expensive especially for multiple machines. I'd just caution you that the imports are throw away welders if they break, unless you like troubleshooting circuit boards.
    Jeff R., Jep and Old Cajun like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 56FordGuy For This Useful Post:

Jep (01-28-2016)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    What model was it you had?

Eric Gildersleeve ~ KD7CAO
    Krugerville, TX, USA
    John Deere 1025r

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I had the 140ST. Not the machine you're considering, but the brand operates the same way across all it's models. I wouldn't buy one again, but that's just me.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I would love to have a Miller Spectrum Multiprocess and the matching Plasma but the cost is beyond what I can justify for my light work. I am looking at a lot of options but, space is a consideration among with price.

Eric Gildersleeve ~ KD7CAO
    Krugerville, TX, USA
    John Deere 1025r

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I can understand. I was in a situation where it made sense for me to move into a MM252, but even that had its downsides. There's no perfect answer for everyone.
    Jep likes this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements