Yesterdays project, South Bend migration, no coconuts involved...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Yesterdays project, South Bend migration, no coconuts involved...

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks

Yesterdays project, South Bend migration, no coconuts involved...

Hiya,

So here was yesterdays adventure, picking up a South Bend Heavy Ten in RI and migrating north. Ya, it was cold.

I went with the heavy 10 rather than a new import as the weight in the olders lathes is in the bed and headstock rather than the newer import gearheads with big heavy transmissions but lighter beds. Also, buying used gets you more bang for the buck.

I haven't submitted for the serial card yet but looking at the number, features and condition, it's late '80's with hard ways, wide ratio (70 feed) dual tumbler gear box, D1-4 large bore camlock spindle with a 5c drawbar. It also has a taper attachment and coolant system.

I has a lantern tool post so I'll be looking to get a BXA for it first off, don't know if I'll go Dorian, Aloris or import but wedge type for sure as the plunger style doesn't re-index as reliably. I checked the spindle clearance and it's in spec so I don't have to play with shims. It runs quiet in back gears as well as high speed. It has a 2 speed 2HP 3 phase motor so I have to decide if I want to run a VFD or get a rotary converter. (Have I mentioned how much I miss having 3 phase on the pole outside the shop?) I like the VFD on the step pulley J head but on the lathe I'm so used to the instant reverse of 3 phase, and with a cam lock I don't have to worry about spinning the chuck off, we'll see.

More to come,

TomClick image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060227.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	795.8 KB 
ID:	130793
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    If you are going to put in a VFD, I would highly recommend Toshiba drives. It would most likely be best to run it in torque mode. Stay away from Allen Bradley, as their sine wave is real choppy which creates a lot of noise when running motor leads a longer distance. Automation Direct and Eaton have some fairly inexpensive drives, but you get what you pay for.

In my opinion, I'd go with a NEMA 4X drive and run S.O. cord for the leads and skip the enclosure, fan and filter.
    Last edited by 5304; 02-14-2016 at 12:19 PM.
    mjncad likes this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,732 Times in 1,193 Posts
    Nice.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other stuff.
    ---------------------------------------
    " If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"?
    - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonton View Post
    If you are going to put in a VFD, I would highly recommend Toshiba drives. It would most likely be best to run it in torque mode. Stay away from Allen Bradley, as their sine wave is real choppy which creates a lot of noise when running motor leads a longer distance. Automation Direct and Eaton have some fairly inexpensive drives, but you get what you pay for.

In my opinion, I'd go with a NEMA 4X drive and run S.O. cord for the leads and skip the enclosure, fan and filter.
    I've had no problems with my AB's.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 07:30 PM
    Thanks
    You got a gem there. Lots of good features with the camlock, 5c and taper attachment. Dorian and Aloris seem near identical to me and are fantastic. I don't bother with coolant on toolroom lathes although sometimes I need to let work cool before doing a semi finish and then finish cut on close diameters. I usually run Mitsubishi Carbide in stainless geometries for all steel grades and better suited inserts for aluminum. Don't care to hand grind cutters anymore unless I need special profiles. What horsepower is the spindle motor on that? You did real well!
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Timber View Post
    I've had no problems with my AB's.
    I've been integrating and designing/building automated systems for over 20 years. Most of that time I used AB drives, however once I had to run motor leads over 25', things got wonky. Here to find out AB drives need a line conditioner if running leads that far. It cost as much as the drive. I scoped the output and found it to be absolutely crazy. I searched out many different drives, scoped them all, and found Toshiba to be the best. But, that's just my experience.
    UnionSchnauzer likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    09-03-2019 @ 07:52 PM
    Thanks
    Hey Tonton,

I install a fair amount of A-B Drives. I like them. Other than a period of bad capacitors in them from the factory, which is China, I had very little issues with them and great local vendor support. I never install a drive without first installing a 3% Drive Line Reactor. Seems to cushion the crappy utility power. With them, I never have faults specially while the drive is idle. I never any issues with longer leads, but most of the drives I deal with are HVAC systems, water pumps, and other applications that precision like machining, is required. Have you every used reactors AFTER the drive?

I ran into a situation not too long ago and reactors was recommend before and after the drives. Was not sure way. Can't remember what the application was. Any thoughts?

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Hey there Union schnauzer,

I've only ever needed to install line reactors before the VFD.

From the interwebs "A line reactor acts not only as a current-limiting device, but it also filters the waveform and attenuates electrical noise and transients associated with the system.*"

The only thing I can think of requiring another reactor after the drive is for redundancy in a situation where critical systems like a centrifuge or delicate lab equipment was being used.
    UnionSchnauzer likes this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:07 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,580 Posts
    I can honesty say ,that is a nice looking piece of machinery,,,,,,besides that, the rest of the posting have no idea what you guys are talking about. But I will say sounds like some of you know you're doing or a lot of BS. sorry..
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    09-03-2019 @ 07:52 PM
    Thanks
    Seems to me it was on a cooling tower. It was an ABB drive. Not sure if they was concerned about noise/voltage returning from the motor.

Don't mean to hijack this thread. I like gather information from other guys in the trenches.

isaac
    5304 and BigJim55 like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast