Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Befco 3 Point Mower Deck - Quick Hitch Modification V2

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:16 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 795 Posts

Befco 3 Point Mower Deck - Quick Hitch Modification V2

Last year I acquired a Landpride Quick Hitch for my 3 Point and had to modify my older Befco rear mount finish mower to make it compatible with the QH.

While Version 1 worked... I did not like how it looked and I really wasn't satisfied with it.

Here is the original hitch on the mower which had floating top and bottom links.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Original Hitch.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	144161

With version 1 I made the lower lift arm pins and top link fixed points and modified the rear lift arms to float.

Name:	QH Version 1.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	394.6 KB 
ID:	144169

While the deck would still float, it didn't cut the same and I wasn't really impressed with my finished product.

I returned the deck to the original condition and finished the mowing season with the intention of going back to the drawing board for a new solution.

What I've done with Version 2 is to copy the floating top link that is used on my Landpride Rotary Cutter and retain the original floating lower connections.

Name:	20160227_133251.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	243.0 KB 
ID:	144177

Name:	20160227_165527.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	248.2 KB 
ID:	144193

Name:	20160308_215802.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	213.0 KB 
ID:	144201

Now all I have to do is wait for it to dry out so that I can take it for a test run.

Perhaps tonight I will get out the floor jack and do some testing in the dry shop...
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rtgt For This Useful Post:

danmorea (03-09-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 672 Posts
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RandyM For This Useful Post:

rtgt (03-09-2016)

6. Top | #3

Last Online
    08-31-2018 @ 12:17 PM
    Thanks
    thanks for info
    rtgt likes this.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Used a floor jack and some blocks to test the float last night.

Rear rise / front drop are good.

Not sure about rear drop though.

I really need to test it out in the yard but right now it is just a tad too wet...

Got the grinder out and cleaned off the mill scale and it is ready for primer.

I'll have plenty of drying time between coats while we dry out.

Z915E
    XUV560

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    08-20-2019 @ 11:06 AM
    Thanks
    Did you check if Befco has a conversion kit? I bought a 10+yr old Buhler/Farmking mower last summer and a quick hitch conversion kit for was only about $100 and was still available.

Also on my mower the long arms going to the back part of the mower from the top link are slotted at bottom/rear bolt and this is where its able to slide/pivot for uneven terrian. That might work better than in the middle of the arm.
    etcallhome and rtgt like this.
    F932-gas with 72" mower deck(sold)
    2720-72" mower deck with hydraulic lift, 3 valve rear SCV, loader, bucket, forks, 84" RFM, blade, 74" snow blower, box blade, land grader........
    2305- sold
    Z915B

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by clayh View Post
    Did you check if Befco has a conversion kit? I bought a 10+yr old Buhler/Farmking mower last summer and a quick hitch conversion kit for was only about $100 and was still available.

Also on my mower the long arms going to the back part of the mower from the top link are slotted at bottom/rear bolt and this is where its able to slide/pivot for uneven terrian. That might work better than in the middle of the arm.
    I think Befco does have a conversion kit but I am having fun playing with the modifications myself...

Version 1 had the slide in the middle....

I'm thinking of adding a slide to the arms at the bottom/rear of the deck like yours has. I just need to test drive it to see if it is needed and if so, how much.

If you get a chance, could you post a picture of yours?
    Levi likes this.

Z915E
    XUV560

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Used Farm King 72" and 84" Finishing Mowers | 3 Point Hitch | Field Equipment | Flaman Featured, Clearance & Used Product Listings

This is similar to mine but rear discharge and no quick hitch kit.

Go here:

Farm King - Finishing Mower

Download the the 2006 parts manual, is has detailed drawings of my mower and near the back is the quick hitch kit.

Older manuals show a mower similar to yours, not sure if they show a quick hitch compatibility kit for those or not.
    rtgt likes this.
    2720-72" mower deck with hydraulic lift, 3 valve rear SCV, loader, bucket, forks, 84" RFM, blade, 74" snow blower, box blade, land grader........
    2305- sold
    Z915B

12. The Following User Says Thank You to clayh For This Useful Post:

rtgt (03-11-2016)

13. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    When I got my mower the previous owner had tightened up the rear bolts at the slide so much that the mower couldn't pivot. Good thing he had a perfectly flat yard!
    rtgt likes this.
    2305- sold
    Z915B

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I got everything assembled last night and when I put the PTO shaft on it was pretty close to the QH when the hitch was fully lowered.

The factory bottom pins float also.

Decided to give it a test before turning on the PTO. Good thing. I didn't even make it out of the shop. There is a decline going out of the shop and as the front wheels went down the PTO shaft got too close to the QH.

In my last version, I put pins in place of the bolts that hold the A frame on. Since I wanted the A frame to float/tilt, I welded the pins in.

I cut the pins off at the base because they interfered with the original factory floating pins that I put back on last year after I abandoned my version 1 mods.

I cut the welds off close with a saw and then ground them down. Finally got them loose. I guess the positive thing is my welds were good!

I need to pick up a couple new pins on the way home and I should be able to get a chance to test it out in the field tonight. I'm not going to weld these in.

Pictures to follow when I have some time to post them.
    RandyM, Gizmo2, ColonyPark and 3 others like this.

Z915E
    XUV560

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:12 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgt View Post
    I got everything assembled last night and when I put the PTO shaft on it was pretty close to the QH when the hitch was fully lowered.

The factory bottom pins float also.

Decided to give it a test before turning on the PTO. Good thing. I didn't even make it out of the shop. There is a decline going out of the shop and as the front wheels went down the PTO shaft got too close to the QH.

In my last version, I put pins in place of the bolts that hold the A frame on. Since I wanted the A frame to float/tilt, I welded the pins in.

I cut the pins off at the base because they interfered with the original factory floating pins that I put back on last year after I abandoned my version 1 mods.

I cut the welds off close with a saw and then ground them down. Finally got them loose. I guess the positive thing is my welds were good!

I need to pick up a couple new pins on the way home and I should be able to get a chance to test it out in the field tonight. I'm not going to weld these in.
    Pictures to follow when I have some time to post them.
    I have the same issue on the pro shaft with my Befco optional quick hitch adapter. I extend the hyd top link which gives me the clearance I need. Then when I raise the mower I have to retract the hyd top link in order to raise the rear of the mower.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One
    rtgt and BigJim55 like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast