Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Step Drill?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:25 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts

Step Drill?

I know nothing about working with metal.

I need to drill 2 - 1/2" holes in 3/8" steel on my tractor to mount my new seatbelt. I have a mismatch of drill bits but nothing as large as 1/2". So I will be buying a new set of bits for this project - something I've needed for a long time anyway.

Then I thought of the step drills. I had never heard of them before I read about people using them on this forum - mostly when installing Ken's hooks. So I wonder if a step drill will work better for me on this project or should I just do it the old way I know of and start with a small bit and work my way up to the 1/2".

I'll be using both a 3/8" and 1/2" electric (read plug-in old school) drills.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:06 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,029 Times in 2,509 Posts
    How thick is the metal Stan? That makes a big difference (IMHO) on the answer.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    08-31-2018 @ 12:17 PM
    Thanks
    i did it with hole saw bit -it works better than you would expect lots of oil -sorry thought that you have to drill a 2 1/2 inch hole For 1/2 inch hole you can use a step drill but a good one is bit expensive What will ruin the bit is high rpm better use a cordless drill on low
    Last edited by danmorea; 03-09-2016 at 06:36 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    How thick is the metal Stan? That makes a big difference (IMHO) on the answer.
    3/8" as said in my OP. This is why I am asking because I haven't drilled this large a hole in this thick a metal before.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:09 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,088 Posts
    Step drills are great for sheet metal, 1/8" thick is getting right on the border of what you can do with one. Some have longer steps for slightly thicker material, but 3/8" will be thicker than a step bit can go.
    coaltrain and Rope_Chucker like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Thanks
    Be careful when you step your way up to the larger bit with the plug in drill. They don't stop the split second you lay off the trigger like the cordless drills do. Chances are when you are about to break through with your finished diameter the bit could plunge and corkscrew on you and put a hurting on your wrist.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-14-2019 @ 09:13 AM
    Thanks
    Lots of people talk about step bits. I have no experience with them. For the past 10 years I have been buying the Dewalt pilot point bits. I find that the 1/2" bit along with some WD-40 will go through 3/8" soft metal in less than 10 seconds. It may not be the best as I haven't tried others, but at only 10 or so seconds I see no reason to change.

Some tips: I rock the bit back and forth a bit on older bits that are getting duller. When you're close to punching through I stop pushing so that it makes a nicer punch through and doesn't catch. With this method I only use the 1/2" instead of first drilling a smaller hole. Again this is what I use and do and I'm not saying that it's the best method but it works for me and I have done a bunch this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    3046r Cab, H165 w/61" bucket, Frontier 72"BB, MX6, and Woods TCR68" Tiller.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:06 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,029 Times in 2,509 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    3/8" as said in my OP. This is why I am asking because I haven't drilled this large a hole in this thick a metal before.
    Yup...Sorry I sure missed it

As Blake wrote, this would not be a good project for a step drill as each "step" is usually only 1/8 or so-so you'd have a hole that has three steps in it.

Get a good bit, the Dewalt "pilot points are my current fav and doesn't even really need a pilot hole, Bosch has some nice ones too. Go slow and use (any) oil and it will cut easily.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    OK - thanks folks - this answers my question.

Yeah - even just holding the 1/2" drill horizontally will be a chore in itself. I know I am going to have to be careful when I am about to break through.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,318 Times in 973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    I know nothing about working with metal.

I need to drill 2 - 1/2" holes in 3/8" steel on my tractor to mount my new seatbelt. I have a mismatch of drill bits but nothing as large as 1/2". So I will be buying a new set of bits for this project - something I've needed for a long time anyway.

Then I thought of the step drills. I had never heard of them before I read about people using them on this forum - mostly when installing Ken's hooks. So I wonder if a step drill will work better for me on this project or should I just do it the old way I know of and start with a small bit and work my way up to the 1/2".

I'll be using both a 3/8" and 1/2" electric (read plug-in old school) drills.
    Normally use DeWalt bits, seem to hold up better.

Old school here, center punch, 1/8 pilot, 1/4 inch afterward, 3/8 inch than finally 1/2 inch when going through 3/8 or better
    iron where I can't use the drill press and have to use a hand held.

Watch out for the wrist, go slow with the 3/8" and 1/2" bit, keep as straight as possible, they can hang up in an instant when
    you're about through with the hole and you "wobble".
    If you have a "power handle" for the big drill, use it.

Have sprained a wrist a time or two by being too aggressive with the pressure.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast