Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Mod to Titan ballast box

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks

Mod to Titan ballast box

I bought a Titan ballast box a little while back, and while it is decent for the money, it is not QuickAttach compatible. I didn't have a QA then, but now that I bought one, I want to use it with all my implements.

The problem with this ballast box, is that the lower pins are spaced too far from the top link. They were all the way at the bottom of the box, and that also means that I would have to set the box on blocks high enough to allow the 3PT to set it down. I never intend to set it on the ground, but 6x6 blocks may not always be handy.

So, I decided to move the lower pins tabs up to where they need to be. Not a big project, but it took a little time to grind off the original welds, clean things up, and re-locate the tabs, and weld. That was my Saturday and today project, and all I need to do now is finish up the painting, and fill the box, probably with sand.

Here's a pic or 2 (upside down). Only put the first coat of the proper color on it
    Will finish it tomorrow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BBoxMod3.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	176490

Name:	BBoxMod2.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	176498
    Last edited by JD-4100; 05-09-2016 at 07:45 PM.
    mjncad, RandyM, Zebrafive and 7 others like this.
    Will

JD 4100 HST, MFWD; JD 410 w/61" bucket, Ken's BoltOn hooks & shackles; Titan ballast box; modified quick hitch; 6' landscape rake & wheel kit; TS subsoiler; Woods Mowin'Machine; 61" mower deck, vac & hopper.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,028 Times in 2,509 Posts
    Looking like it should have when received

The guys on the OTT forum are have the same issues with the design and finish, why there are putting (or having put) those lower tabs almost on the bottom is just
    Levi and johnH123 like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:26 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Looking like it should have when received

The guys on the OTT forum are have the same issues with the design and finish, why there are putting (or having put) those lower tabs almost on the bottom is just
    yeah, thats odd. but, you get what you pay for, i guess. :
    Last edited by johnH123; 05-10-2016 at 08:15 AM. Reason: fixed the smiley.
    rtgt and Levi like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,028 Times in 2,509 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post
    but, you get what you pay for, i guess. :
    You wrote it, not me...
    I would never knowingly give that company any of my $$$, having to repaint/reweld something brand new just to make it usable? Sorry but I see no value there. It took them years to get the forks close to right, maybe in a few they'll get these correct.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Thanks
    yeah, thats odd. but, you get what you pay for, i guess. :
    In hindsight, are you still happy with buying the Titan or do you wish you would have gotten the JD ballast box? Not trying to beat you up, just asking.

Fortunately you're able to do the necessary mods.

Related to Titan, here are a few pics of what I bought from them a few years ago. It's a JDQA receiver hitch. I also bought a "blank plate" to use for another project. After a week of threatening to cause Titan more trouble than it was worth by protesting with my credit card company I finally got my money back for the blank plate.

This shows how the plate doesn't contact the loader arm properly. Under a load, the plate is only contacting a small portion of the arm, potentially causing stress on that "ear". There was also a tremendous amount of back and forth "slop" in the mounting pins - letting the plate bang against those ears.

Name:	Pic07_1024x768.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	176714

This shows my Deere bucket. Notice how it lays flat against the "ears" and contacts the entire thing.

Name:	Pic10_1024x768.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	151.3 KB 
ID:	176706

This shows how not-flat the flat plate was!! How hard can it be to make a flat plate??? Hard to tell from this pic, but there's about an inch of runout in the last 12 inches or so of the "flat plate".

Name:	Pic09_1024x768.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	152.0 KB 
ID:	176722

I tried dealing with Titan in a professional manner but they didn't return calls or emails. Finally, I got on their site a couple of times and use their "chat with us" app designed to answer sales calls. I think they kept a list of "do not answer from this IP address" because after the first time I did it from home, they didn't "answer" the chat request. I had to go to a site to disguise my IP in order for them to pick up. We went around and around about defective products and they hid behind every excuse they could. In the end, I sent back the "blank plate" but kept the receiver since their website said something about the receiver plate having a "bulge" in it. The "blank plate" didn't have that so they had to take it back. Bottom line is that they'll never get another dime from me.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    i will admit, titan is not the best manufacturer. but, i am still very happy with my forks. in fact, i use them way more than the bucket. still, i probably will not buy from them again- just to iffy. again, you get what you pay for.
    Levi, BigJim55 and mark02tj like this.
    -Countyline box blade,
    -RED windrow rake,

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Yea, if I knew then what I know now, I probably would have either built my own ballast box, or bought a different one. There were a lot of flaws in the one I received, which may or may no be typical. Also, at the time, I didn't have a QA, so that wasn't even a concern. So after I bought one, I wanted it to work. With the poor powdercoat job,I knew I had to paint it, so I ground off my hitch-pin tabs, welded them where I want them, and today, finished painting the box.

I also have the Titan pallet forks, and that seems to be buit very well, and so far I'm extremely pleased with them. So I don't know if Titan is sorting all this quality-control stuff out, or of it is just hit or miss, when you buy one of their products.
    BigJim55, johnH123 and gbnpp05 like this.
    Will

JD 4100 HST, MFWD; JD 410 w/61" bucket, Ken's BoltOn hooks & shackles; Titan ballast box; modified quick hitch; 6' landscape rake & wheel kit; TS subsoiler; Woods Mowin'Machine; 61" mower deck, vac & hopper.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    maybe the stuff is made by different companies and sold under the titan name?
    BigJim55 and JD-4100 like this.
    -Countyline box blade,
    -RED windrow rake,

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:09 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,088 Posts
    maybe the stuff is made by different companies and sold under the titan name?
    It's made by the lowest bidder in a Chinese factory and then sold under whichever pseudonym Titan (atv express, skid steer express, palletforks, United bale spears, etc) is using this week.

I got hosed by their multiple personality disorder when we purchased some bale spears from United, imagine my shock to get a package from Titan. Out of four spears two have been bent and all of them are a monument to shoddy workmanship and a commitment to the lowest possible measure of quality. After a six or eight week (I forget exactly) customer service debacle they refunded us $50. Yippee.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

12. Top | #10
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:21 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,579 Posts
    Unfortunately Titan has had these quality and customer service issues for many years. Some have good luck, others not so much. It really is a crap shoot at times it seems. Personally I stick with reputable vendors who stand behind their products they sell. I'm not a gambling man, even with Gizmo's money.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast