Thread: Looking for a splined shaft coupling

1. Top | #1
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:53 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,289 Times in 2,580 Posts

Looking for a splined shaft coupling

I need a 6 spline 1-1/8" coupling at least 3" long. The only ones I can find commercially are from Hub City and they are 2-3/4" long. Any suggestions? Can anyone make one of these out of a hardened material? Mild steel will not work.

- Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I did find this one, but it looks to made out of plain mild steel. Can it be hardened?
    - Jason

2720 w/ 200CX FEL

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:32 PM
    Thanks
    I was working on an older piece of equipment a few years back where I need some inverted spline couplings made because the Mfg. didn't supply the parts anymore. I had Hayes Couplings make them. They did a good job. Fairly quick turn around.
    Stub Shafts, Spline Couplings, Drive Couplings & More - HayesCouplings.com

I also used Rush Gear to make gears for me that were no longer available from the OEM. Not sure if they will make couplings. I know they can make pretty much any type of gears.
    Welcome to rushgears.com - Nobody makes custom gears faster!!!

I assume you already realized the 3" long 1-1/8" inverted spline coupling is not a standard coupling so making it is probably your only option. You may have a local machine shop that can machine it, although, they probably will not be able to heat treat it.

I am guessing you already looked at trying to change the mounting locations of whatever you are coupling so you can use a 2-3/4" long coupling. Not sure what you are working on and don't know if moving a component is possible. If it is, that may be a more cost effective approach since you only need 1/4" and then you will be able to use a standard length 1-1/8" coupling. Just a thought??!!

Good luck!!
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    My first thought is to have it quoted from a machine shop with a wire EDM. I'd likely have it cut out of pre-hardened 4140, then have it either electroless nickel plated or black oxided.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Is the wire EDM a fairly common procedure? Or is this a specialty kinda thing?

BTW, this is for the internal PTO shaft of the model 60 I'm restoring. So there is no way to move equipment. Parts for these tractors are getting more and more scarce. Common parts are easily readily available, but stuff like this is very hard to come by.
    - Jason

2720 w/ 200CX FEL

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    Wire EDM is more common today, but not available in all machine shops. You'll find a shop locally that has one. If you can't, I have a shop here in Knoxville that can do it.

Since it is internal, you don't need to have it plated or coated. If you need a helping hand, I can make a drawing of it and have it quoted for you. I'll just need some dimensions from the new shaft you just had fixed up and the OD of the old coupling.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 5304 For This Useful Post:

dieselshadow (07-10-2016)

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    O.D. isn't critical, but the original one is 1-1/2". There's plenty of room to go larger in diameter. The coupling needs to be at least 3" long. It's a standard 1-1/8" 6 spline pattern, not sure how to give any other measurements on that. The original one had a 3/32" pin driven through it to keep it centered between the two shafts.
    - Jason

2720 w/ 200CX FEL

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Thanks
    Call this number 920-563-3447 ask for Jimmy. If he has one let me know I'll pick it up and ship it to you. Talk slow, Jimmy probably has 1, but I bet he doesn't ship and if he does I don't think you want to wait that long. I'm sure he's around today.

Jimmy does salvage tractors.
    Last edited by MDrew; 07-10-2016 at 10:34 AM.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Here's what the old one looks like. You can see the badly worn splines.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6285.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	206809
    Gizmo2 and johnH123 like this.
    - Jason

2720 w/ 200CX FEL

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:32 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Is the wire EDM a fairly common procedure? Or is this a specialty kinda thing?

BTW, this is for the internal PTO shaft of the model 60 I'm restoring. So there is no way to move equipment. Parts for these tractors are getting more and more scarce. Common parts are easily readily available, but stuff like this is very hard to come by.
    EDM is a common practice although it is mostly used in Die shops to machine dies. Here is a website that describes the process.
    EDM 101: What is EDM & When do you need it

Inverted spline couplings are normally made on a broaching machine. Not extremely expensive and pretty quick to do. That said, the broaching, as any machining, is done before the piece is heat treated. A spine coupling will not last very long unless it is heat treated, as you have already indicated.
    For the same reason as you said, the part that I needed was not available anymore so I had one made.
    Is the coupling you need going to need internal snap ring grooves machined in it so locating snap rings can be installed to keep the coupling centered? Those that I had made had internal snap ring grooves.

The coupling that you found on ebay doesn't look to be heat treated, although, it isn't easy to tell for sure. Maybe PM the seller and ask him to take a file and see if he can nick it with a file. This will tell you if it is hardened. Of course, he may not want to test it??!!
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast