Green Tractor Talk banner

LOG Grapple

6K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Cherokee Chief 
#1 ·
I thought you might like to check out my new log grapple I built.

Vehicle Machine Tool Construction equipment

Machine Sawmill Lumber Wood Machine tool

Cutting tool Tool Machine Automotive exterior Vehicle

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow :good2:

#3 ·
Are you using a solenoid controlled diverter to control the hydraulics?

#5 ·
NICE!! I've got plans for something similar, but I'm going to use my "Greens Machine Thumb" instead of trying to build my own "jaw". I don't have the skills for that.

Can you post a pic or two of the jaw open? I'm curious to see how far it opens.

Is that an Artillian fork frame? If you're planning on offering them for sale, you might need to check with Chris to see if any of the mounting system you're using is covered under any patents.

#8 ·
Nice! :good2: Did you have the parts CNC waterjet/laser/plasma cut? I've never seen a grapple with forward facing tongs before. How well does it work?

Reactions: johnH123
#10 ·
I like it and the fab work looks. :bigthumb:

Don't take me wrong. It's just my 2 cents worth of experience.
The only part I don't like is how narrow it is. I carry logs with my grapple and it 3 times the with.
I have trouble picking up log when the heavy end starts to shift when moving. Some of the logs are 15 feet long.
But it all depends what you are lifting and how far you have to carry it.

Reactions: BigJim55 and mjncad
#12 ·
Sorry guys, I have been crazy busy at work. Thanks for all of the compliments!

To answer your questions, yes it is built on Chris' fork frame. But I am looking at developing my own. This system will be able to mounted to any fork frame with just a few dimensions needed. Not sure on the patent part as I based this design off of forks.

I did have these laser cut, they are out of AR400 steel.

I do not think the stiffener will be in the way. The main purpose for me was to grab a load of logs, the stiffener does not hang down below the teeth. The reason the grapple is forward facing is to try and push the logs back towards the frame. The goal with the middle is just to be able to hold the logs down during transport. You can change the fork width as usual and be able to pick up small objects, such as rocks.

I hope to have it up and running soon. I havent got my hydraulics figured out quite yet. Im hoping something will happen soon. I love all of the advice that I have been given so far and hope to get more yet! Thanks guys!

#17 ·
Cherokee Chief--i know if i could of made something like that for my forks, i be wildly in love too.:laugh: :bigthumb: great job!! anything to help with them big ones.:yahoo:

Reactions: JD322
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.