Telescoping stabilizers for my 790
Results 1 to 3 of 3
Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By hodge
  • 1 Post By Treefarmer
  • 1 Post By hodge

Thread: Telescoping stabilizers for my 790

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:59 PM
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley of VA
    Posts
    358
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 61 Times in 44 Posts

    Telescoping stabilizers for my 790

    I built a test set for my tractor. I am not real satisfied with them, but I am anxious to see how they work out. Telescoping stabilizers work (fine adjustment) because the holes in the rod are spaced differently than the holes in the tube, and there are enough holes in each for one to line up with the other about every 1/8th inch or so. On the 790, as well as many other JD tractors, the stabilizers, from mounting point to mounting point, are too short to have enough holes. It typically isn't possible to change the mounting points because the stabilizer would then hit the tire. This is what I've been dealing with on my 790. I have the R1 tires, which are narrower than any other option. So, it would be possible to move the mounting point on the lift arm further back, behind the lift rod. But, I wanted to keep the factory setup, and I wanted to build a set that was bolt on, using the existing holes. But, that meant that the body of the stabilizer is very short. I am not satisfied with the adjustment options, but time will tell. I also don't care for the yellow, but it was fast drying- I'm not very patient.



    RandyM, Gizmo2, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ..."

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:42 PM
    Location
    Eastern Virginia, United States
    Posts
    4,478
    Thanks
    341
    Thanked 812 Times in 529 Posts

    Nice build

    Quote Originally Posted by hodge View Post
    I built a test set for my tractor. I am not real satisfied with them, but I am anxious to see how they work out. Telescoping stabilizers work (fine adjustment) because the holes in the rod are spaced differently than the holes in the tube, and there are enough holes in each for one to line up with the other about every 1/8th inch or so. On the 790, as well as many other JD tractors, the stabilizers, from mounting point to mounting point, are too short to have enough holes. It typically isn't possible to change the mounting points because the stabilizer would then hit the tire. This is what I've been dealing with on my 790. I have the R1 tires, which are narrower than any other option. So, it would be possible to move the mounting point on the lift arm further back, behind the lift rod. But, I wanted to keep the factory setup, and I wanted to build a set that was bolt on, using the existing holes. But, that meant that the body of the stabilizer is very short. I am not satisfied with the adjustment options, but time will tell. I also don't care for the yellow, but it was fast drying- I'm not very patient.



    I've got R4s and can do some measurements if it helps. I don't think they will matter. My lift arms will hit the tires but don't see the stabizer causing an issue.

    How much trouble was it to get the lift arm rod out and mount the stabilizer? I have looked at mine but never taken it out. Given that it's frequently covered in dirt or mowing debris, I'm guessing there's some corrosion in there even with spraying the lift arm with Fluid Film.

    Nice looking set up. The factory turnbuckles work but certainly aren't my favorite device.

    Treefarmer
    BigJim55 likes this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

  4. Top | #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:59 PM
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley of VA
    Posts
    358
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 61 Times in 44 Posts
    No problem- you don't have to remove the shaft. You take the side plate off, which stabilizers the end of the shaft (one on each side), removing 4 bolts. With that plate off, you can remove everything- even the lift arm- without taking off the shaft. While the stabilizers don't have the fine adjustment that I would like, they worked fine in conjunction with the width of my back blade frame. I think that they are going to be sufficient, but time will tell (as I use other implements, with different width mounts).
    I bought a used Woods RD60 today (Kubota orange paint, faded to almost pink, but mechanically like new and $750), which I bought home and tried out. It did fine with the stabilizers.
    Last edited by hodge; 11-10-2016 at 03:00 PM.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ..."

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •