Green Tractor Talk banner

Blueberry farmer Tom

4K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  felixm22 
#1 ·
Hello
Just wanted to introduce myself. My wife and I run a blue berry farm and own a John Deere 5055e and use it in our farming operation. Looking forward to the discussions.

Tom

#6 ·
Thanks for the welcome gang !
Tom, welcome to the club.

So the question that new forum members need to answer is: How important is the acidity of the soil that you grow blueberries in? Our soil isn't very acidic, what can I do to grow a few blueberries?

Ok, to be fair, I made up the part about the new forum member part, but I'd appreciate it if you could help out.

Thanks and :gtfam:

#5 ·
Tom,:gtfam:

#11 ·
Welcome to GTT Tbasciani!

We will forgo the pictures required if you send blueberries. Just Sayin!

#13 ·
:wgtt:

Welcome from the southern part of New York.

My wife and I have been growing blueberries and raspberries for several years. We enjoy it a lot and enjoy the berries. How do you stop the birds, squirrels, chipmunks and rabbits from taking your crop?

#16 ·
Uninvited pickets

Hi Tom,
Thanks for responding. We are located just off lake Ontario and grow " high bush berries" .Several years ago I purchased bird netting from a vineyard supply house in Cal. It works quite well on birds. You do have to make sure to remove it right after harvest or very difficult to remove. The netting came in 500 ft rolls which made it handy for longer rows. I know another berry farmer who uses a crow canon but I'm sure his neighbors just love that serenade each day.In regard to chip munks, they would need to bring a step stole from Home depot to reach them. I enjoyed talking to you. Stat in touch
Tom

#14 · (Edited)
Welcome Tom!

It's good to have another Berry Farmer around here.

Not too many of us on the web forums.

Bieng upstate, are you growing Highbush, or lows?

Got your fall bud mite control on yet, or still waiting on leaves to turn?
What's the bud set look like?

Got a 2014 strategy for SWD control figured out yet?:lol:

What harvester are you running, Korvan, JDV, or BEI?

Did you get any into the freezer, or just dump them to the processors this year?
Dadgum market is crazier than a sprayed Roach all of a sudden..gossip is nuts.

Good having ya!

#17 ·
Ah Dinger,
Thanks for the chat. Yes good to have a berry farmer to talk to! We have "high bush Berries" . Leaves are just starting to turn. We had a great season this year and many made it to the freezer. I built a farm Stand several years ago for the grand kids to cut their teeth on retail sales. We sell every berry we put out. Stay in touch !
Tom

#18 ·
Welcome Tom
Where are you located?
Do you mind blueberry farming questions? (A friend of ours bought a blueberry farm and has little to no clue)
I've been helping clean up the place, but have even less of clue about blueberries :flag_of_truce:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.