Green Tractor Talk banner

Another New guy from Pa.

3K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  Gizmo2 
#1 ·
It's an invasion from Pa. So it seems.....Long time JD owner here, just found this site and thought I would give it a ho. New to computers as well. Things move at a slow pace here in the rural farming communities of Pa. I have owned many JD tractors and lawn mowers over the years.

I am in the market for a new mower and visited my local JD store and looked in the Zero turn line. I mow approx 8 acres and figured the Zero turn would speed things up for my bride. I liked the 970R with the 60 inch deck but am wondering on the MOD deck and the Michelin Tweels. I feel the MOD deck are more of a marketing item since they never really worked well and more than likely still don't...looking for any feedback from real users. I also liked the 960M , I can get the regular60 inch deck, 31 HP motor but no cross port hydro's or push button PTO and raise and lower deck ...more gimmicks in my opinion. The cross porting to keep things cool sounds like the only real improvement... So if anyone can offetanyfeedback on the R's vs the M's
Unit would be appreciated... If think the 960M units offer best value with the 31 HP motor..

#3 ·
Thank you !

I mow with a JD M665 I bought brand new in 2002. It just flipped 1000 hours so I figure it's time for a new one...I feel the best pieces of green Iron for my dollar is the 960M. Big 31 HP motor same as the 970R motor wise just missing the push button PTO engage and raise/ lower deck and cross ported hydro's but the M is about 4 k cheaper. 4k is allot of money for cross porting and a few push buttons....Am I missing something ?

#9 ·
:wgtt:

Welcome from New York.

#13 ·
I happen to like Pennsylvania. Really nice state, good riding, excellent history, and beautiful back country.

I like my B quite a bit, but it sure does ride like a bucking bronco. Much better with the Puffer Seat, but it's no Cadillac. :lol:

#14 ·
mowing is nothing but flat....inclines, pond ****, declines etc...flat in the front yard only....what kind of riding are you referring too my friend from Tennesee ?

She picked the 970R ....deluxe seat, 60 inch deck, Michelin wheels and a hitch to tug the lawn roller around each Spring...Salesman told her 3 to 4 weeks as he had to order it in...it's getting pretty expense to mow your lawn these days.
This will more than likely be the last mower we ever buy. I hope it's as good as my M665 was/is....

#15 ·
....what kind of riding are you referring too my friend from Tennesee ?
I learned how to ride motorcycles in your neck of the woods, more specifically the Altoona area. I lived just in Gettysburg for a number of years ago when I was a youngster.

Congrats on your new mower! :bigthumb:

#16 · (Edited)
Enjoy!

Reactions: Gizmo2 and BigJim55
#19 ·
:gtfam:

#21 ·

#22 ·
Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

Reactions: BigJim55
#23 ·

#25 ·
welcome from south central Pa. i done a lot freight pedaling yrs ago(late 80's) in ur surrounding area!:wgtt:

Reactions: wentonbrown
#30 ·
Black Darkness White Sky Light

Welcome from Southern Maryland

#31 ·

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.