Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Another New guy from Pa.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-21-2017 @ 09:39 AM
    Thanks

Another New guy from Pa.

It's an invasion from Pa. So it seems.....Long time JD owner here, just found this site and thought I would give it a ho. New to computers as well. Things move at a slow pace here in the rural farming communities of Pa. I have owned many JD tractors and lawn mowers over the years.

I am in the market for a new mower and visited my local JD store and looked in the Zero turn line. I mow approx 8 acres and figured the Zero turn would speed things up for my bride. I liked the 970R with the 60 inch deck but am wondering on the MOD deck and the Michelin Tweels. I feel the MOD deck are more of a marketing item since they never really worked well and more than likely still don't...looking for any feedback from real users. I also liked the 960M , I can get the regular60 inch deck, 31 HP motor but no cross port hydro's or push button PTO and raise and lower deck ...more gimmicks in my opinion. The cross porting to keep things cool sounds like the only real improvement... So if anyone can offetanyfeedback on the R's vs the M's
    Unit would be appreciated... If think the 960M units offer best value with the 31 HP motor..
    Gizmo2, Levi and BigJim55 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,946 Times in 2,909 Posts
    Welcome to GTT Bradfordfarmer.
    You don't read too many good reviews about the MOD. I'd leave it in the store.
    What do ya mow with now?
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Welcome to GTT Bradfordfarmer.
    You don't read too many good reviews about the MOD. I'd leave it in the store.
    What do ya mow with now?

Thank you !

I mow with a JD M665 I bought brand new in 2002. It just flipped 1000 hours so I figure it's time for a new one...I feel the best pieces of green Iron for my dollar is the 960M. Big 31 HP motor same as the 970R motor wise just missing the push button PTO engage and raise/ lower deck and cross ported hydro's but the M is about 4 k cheaper. 4k is allot of money for cross porting and a few push buttons....Am I missing something ?
    Gizmo2, rtgt, Levi and 1 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:48 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 797 Posts
    Welcome to the site.

You've come to the right place if you want to spend lots of

We have several "pro's".
    Gizmo2, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradfordfarmer View Post
    Thank you !

I mow with a JD M665 I bought brand new in 2002. It just flipped 1000 hours so I figure it's time for a new one...I feel the best pieces of green Iron for my dollar is the 960M. Big 31 HP motor same as the 970R motor wise just missing the push button PTO engage and raise/ lower deck and cross ported hydro's but the M is about 4 k cheaper. 4k is allot of money for cross porting and a few push buttons....Am I missing something ?
    If you are looking for an argument from me you're not going to get one. I agree with ya.
    I'm not so sure the new mower will be much faster than you old mower though. I'd still buy the new mower.
    rtgt, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    If you are looking for an argument from me you're not going to get one. I agree with ya.
    I'm not so sure the new mower will be much faster than you old mower though. I'd still buy the new mower.
    Ha ha ! Not looking for a fight at all ....they never fail yo confuse me with the obvious....a few buttons isn't worth a few thousand dollars to me m besides we got along just find without them up until now so I see no need to change anything at this point..its been my experience that the more nonsensical items on any machine that can fail , WILL !

I don't think it will be much faster or any for that matter, just time for something new. I really liked the deluxe suspended seat. Truth be told if there was a Ferris dealer close by I would be buying a 3200 model with the suspension. I drove one that one of my friends has and it quite the machine. Very nice is every regard.

It looks like I will be taking the 960 M with the 60 inch standard deck , deluxe seat, and Michelin twheels . I have the wheels on my skid steers and think they are well worth the added expense. Great traction, extremely long wear life, no flats..
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, Tomfive and 4 others like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradfordfarmer View Post
    Ha ha ! Not looking for a fight at all ....they never fail yo confuse me with the obvious....a few buttons isn't worth a few thousand dollars to me m besides we got along just find without them up until now so I see no need to change anything at this point..its been my experience that the more nonsensical items on any machine that can fail , WILL !

I don't think it will be much faster or any for that matter, just time for something new. I really liked the deluxe suspended seat. Truth be told if there was a Ferris dealer close by I would be buying a 3200 model with the suspension. I drove one that one of my friends has and it quite the machine. Very nice is every regard.

It looks like I will be taking the 960 M with the 60 inch standard deck , deluxe seat, and Michelin twheels . I have the wheels on my skid steers and think they are well worth the added expense. Great traction, extremely long wear life, no flats..
    Me either, just agreeing with you on all of it.
    I know what you mean by wanting a new one. We traded a 12 year old Z to get our Z915B.
    DRobinson, rtgt, Levi and 2 others like this.
    Keith

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Me either, just agreeing with you on all of it.
    I know what you mean by wanting a new one. We traded a 12 year old Z to get our Z915B.

Tell me your thoughts on the 915B..... Looks like a great machine...I find that JD and most of the othet manufacturers make it overly complicated When it truly doesn't need to be. Their marketing approach is very common these days, offer a multiple of models and features and then make certain models only have certain options etc etc.. I remember a day when you went in yo buy a new farm tractor they had three models, big, bigger and biggest. Fun stuff ! I continue to lean towards the 960M with the standard 60 inch deck , deluxe seat, and Michelin wheels....then again who knows , I officially turned it over to my lovely bride since she does most of the mowing with one simple direction, Pick the one you want and get it on order or delivered...

Thanks for taking the time to offer your thoughts...I appreciate it... I'll let you know what she chooses...
    Gizmo2, rtgt, Levi and 3 others like this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:24 PM
    Thanks

Welcome from New York.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomfive View Post

Welcome from New York.

Thank you Sir...

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast