Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Possibly a new Owner

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-15-2017 @ 11:24 PM
    Thanks

Possibly a new Owner

Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen,

My name is Jason Gadsby, I am a retired Soldier/Disabled Veteran living in Texas. I am not an owner as of yet, but am hoping to be one soon after hearing the thoughts from all you experts out there. My Father in Law is selling his 97ish GT235 ride on. He is selling it fairly cheap because it needs some work. It does run, albeit a little rough as he has left it out doors for quite some time. The plastics will all need replacing, as well as the seat. There isnt really any rust to be spoken of, but I would be painting it again just to have a fresh tractor. I am experienced mechanically, having been a mechanic in the Army for 13 years. I can also paint, weld, etc etc. So my question to you all is, is it worth saving? The cost is around $250, and then the parts needed to fix her up like new. I am on a small lot now, but my wife and I are about to buy a 2 acre lot near Lake Whitney and will need a tractor. I am glad to be here, and even assuming you all tell me I am dumb and just buy a new one, it will still be green and yellow Thank you all and please dont pull any punches!
    Gizmo2, Levi, gbnpp05 and 1 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,288 Times in 1,417 Posts
    Welcome from northeastern Pennsylvania.

Thanks for being a Soldier.

Before jumping into the "body work", you may want to check on prices of the plastic and/or fiberglass pieces that you need. Most of them are expensive. Most of the mechanical parts aren't bad and some can be obtained from other sources.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, Levi and 2 others like this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    I have been doing some research, seems I can rebuild most of the tractor for under a grand. Tires are good, no drive train issues that I know, but a carb overhaul may be in it's future. I will run a compression test to see about the lower end. The kids love the thing too. Seems a waste to sell it because it wasn't taken care of... and one thing I have is time

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 10:29 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Gadsby View Post
    Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen,

My name is Jason Gadsby, I am a retired Soldier/Disabled Veteran living in Texas. I am not an owner as of yet, but am hoping to be one soon after hearing the thoughts from all you experts out there. My Father in Law is selling his 97ish GT235 ride on. He is selling it fairly cheap because it needs some work. It does run, albeit a little rough as he has left it out doors for quite some time. The plastics will all need replacing, as well as the seat. There isnt really any rust to be spoken of, but I would be painting it again just to have a fresh tractor. I am experienced mechanically, having been a mechanic in the Army for 13 years. I can also paint, weld, etc etc. So my question to you all is, is it worth saving? The cost is around $250, and then the parts needed to fix her up like new. I am on a small lot now, but my wife and I are about to buy a 2 acre lot near Lake Whitney and will need a tractor. I am glad to be here, and even assuming you all tell me I am dumb and just buy a new one, it will still be green and yellow Thank you all and please dont pull any punches!
    If the deck is solid and the trans works good, I wouldn't hesitate buying it. I bought my 01 back in 2013 for $1800 and it's served me well. Decided to repower it last fall as it was starting to use oil pretty bad-no idea how many hours were on it, no hour meter. Spent $900 on a new crate engine from small engine warehouse and it's like a new tractor all over again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    etcallhome, Levi and Robnik like this.

7. Top | #5
    Hey, I want a title too! ZachinCO's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-31-2019 @ 06:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thank you for your service!

Welcome to GTT.
    MINE!! 2016 New Holland T4.75

In-Laws 2006 4520-400 CX FEL-RC2072-Land Pride FS700-Rhino Box Blade-7' Plow Blade-CountyLine PHD
    In-Laws 2003 2210-210 FEL-54C MMM

My Sons IH Cub Cadet Originals- 62-Running;62-Restoration;61-Parts Donor

My social media~ https://www.instagram.com/zwhewitt_photos/

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 03:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,734 Times in 1,195 Posts
    Thanks for serving, and keeping us all safe.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other stuff.
    ---------------------------------------

" If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"? - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 09:49 AM
    Thanks
    Welcome, Jason. This year my 85 years old FIL went to a rest home. He had a stroke, 15 years ago, in 2008 he purchased a CR125 and since that time, he damaged every edge he could reach.
    Now I'm the new owner of the CR125 and I will never restore this riding lawn mower - he always enjoyed the mower and so it's his heritage to me
    LANZ D 1906 | John Deere LANZ 510 | John Deere 112 | John Deere 3120 | John Deere CR 125 | Gator XUV 550 | 18S Cart | Güldner AZK

Wolfgang Gustav, regards from beyond the pond!

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thank you all for the kind words. It was an honor to have served and do it again if called back.

I understand not wanting to restore to maintain a legacy or memories. I have a lot of antiques in my house that we maintain to preserve their heritage and memories passed along with them.

This tractor however does not fall into that category. It fell into disrepair because a new one was wanted and no care was taken. It's sad actually. A tool if properly taken care of will remain a useful tool for a long time. A neglected tool however.... sad days.

I pulled the trigger and told the wife that the mission was a go. So, more to follow upon delivery everyone! Thank you all!
    glc, etcallhome, DRobinson and 4 others like this.

11. Top | #9
    glc
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:19 PM
    Thanks

IMO, definitely worth the restore time and money.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 10:40 AM
    Thanks
    Welcome from Illinois. Glad to have you join us look forward to your input. Thanks for your service.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast