Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Size needed for 5 acres

1. Top | #1
    Max

Last Online
    05-03-2015 @ 06:57 AM
    Thanks

Question Size needed for 5 acres

My home sits on 5 acres of old pasture land/hay field. About 1-11/2 acres are lawn, the rest is 2-3 foot high weeds. The soil is very rocky, but level. I mow with a JD 150, but, it is to small for the rest. I would like to run a brush hog, box grader, mow grass and break ground for a garden. I would also like a FEL, and the ability to add a back hoe.I am looking at a 1025R, but, I am not sure if it is big enough. I have read post about the 1025R, not being high enough to run a post hole auger, which could be a problem.The 2 series is nice, but, cost more and may be more then I need. I have never run a tractor before, other then a lawn tractor(mower).Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts

I'm sorry, but I have no knowledge about the abilities of the tractors you are asking about. But a lot of good family members here will help, I'm sure!
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

4. Top | #3
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts

Thumbs up Welcome to GTT!

Have you driven any of these tractors or talked to the dealer? What did they recommend?

I've had a 1 series. I now own a 2 series and I'm on 2 acres. That being said I take care of 4 plus multiple neighborhood driveways and other chores. I found the 1 series to a really comfortable and capable tractor, but it fell short in a couple of categories for me. I needed/wanted more loader capacity and speed. Larger tires offered a much better ride and traction along with better hillside stability. The 2 series doesn't have some of the fancy features the 1 series does, but in the end the only feature I really missed was the suspension seat.

Another tractor you may want to look at are the 3032E and 3038E. They are considered an "economy" tractor, but have some nice features all while not much bigger than the 2 series. They have available permanently attached loaders and no mid PTO, so no belly mower. They also don't have a backhoe option. But they are really affordable.

A ton of different variables at play here...
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Max

Last Online
    Thanks
    I have not driven either tractor. I do hear that the 1025 rides rough, but, I am not at that stage yet. I will look at the 3 series, as I don't need a lot of bells and whistles, just a good machine that I can keep for a long time, without wishing for more. Do you find the non- removable FEL to be a problem when doing other things? Do you have any experience with a tow behind finish mower? How are they to use vs. a belly mower?

7. Top | #5
    Max

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post

I'm sorry, but I have no knowledge about the abilities of the tractors you are asking about. But a lot of good family members here will help, I'm sure!
    Thank you! I am sure I will get a lot of. Much needed info
    farmgirl19 likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:29 PM
    Thanks

Welcome to another mid-Hudson Valley New Yorker, from across the river (Pleasant Valley).

I've had a 1026R with backhoe, for over 2 years and live on 1.5 acres. It's a very capable tractor and as others agree, it will do a lot for its size, just maybe a little bit slower than a 2 or 3 series. I tried to justify a 2 series, but really didn't need the larger size, and would not be as maneuverable with the small garden plots we have in our yard.

If I had a few more acres, or more desire to work the woods I have now, I could easily justify a slightly larger tractor. It all depends on what you intend to do, but as most would agree, go at least 1 size larger than what you think you need. You may be thankful for the extra power for a future project you haven't even thought of yet.

Good Luck and welcome.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomfive For This Useful Post:

Max (07-01-2014)

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:13 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 836 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    I have not driven either tractor. I do hear that the 1025 rides rough, but, I am not at that stage yet. I will look at the 3 series, as I don't need a lot of bells and whistles, just a good machine that I can keep for a long time, without wishing for more. Do you find the non- removable FEL to be a problem when doing other things? Do you have any experience with a tow behind finish mower? How are they to use vs. a belly mower?
    I have a rear mount finish mower, 60". I used it on my 2305 (the prior 1 series) and it handled it very well. I am using the same mower on my MCUT that I have now.

They take a bit to get used to going around obsticles, but this is something that you get used to. If you have alot of obsticles....a rear mount would not be my first choice. In a open area they are fantastic.

No matter what series or size tractor, they attach the same way. Not a drive over auto connect, you'll have to get off the tractor, but you don't have the associated setup issues either. When they are off, they are on wheels so they are pretty easy to move as well. They ride on four wheels, and the cut the same on level or hillside. They are also very easy to clean. Raise it up, put a jackstand under it, and your good to scrap or spray as you wish. Blade changes are just a simple.

Everytime someone posts a question about their mid mount mower, I go give mine a extra shot of grease and just grin. Should I ever have an area to mow that would be difficult with a rear mount, I'll get a zero-turn.

For a 1 series I would recommend a 60" deck, for a 2 series you can go with a 72" if you want. You'll want the deck a bit wider that the wheel width.

For the most part, they are also less expensive than the manufacturers mid mount deck and ancillary equipment that goes with them.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rtgt For This Useful Post:

Max (07-01-2014)

12. Top | #8
    Max

Last Online
    Thanks
    Do you know anything about the 3005? I see it on the JD site, but, no one seems to mention it.

13. Top | #9
    Max

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomfive View Post

Welcome to another mid-Hudson Valley New Yorker, from across the river (Pleasant Valley).

I've had a 1026R with backhoe, for over 2 years and live on 1.5 acres. It's a very capable tractor and as others agree, it will do a lot for its size, just maybe a little bit slower than a 2 or 3 series. I tried to justify a 2 series, but really didn't need the larger size, and would not be as maneuverable with the small garden plots we have in our yard.

If I had a few more acres, or more desire to work the woods I have now, I could easily justify a slightly larger tractor. It all depends on what you intend to do, but as most would agree, go at least 1 size larger than what you think you need. You may be thankful for the extra power for a future project you haven't even thought of yet.

Good Luck and welcome.
    It's that justifying a larger one, that is driving me crazy. I think the 1025R would do me well, however, I don't want to wish I had more in a month or two

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:13 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 836 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Do you know anything about the 3005? I see it on the JD site, but, no one seems to mention it.
    The 3005 is a great tractor. Same as the 3032E/3038E in that it doesn't have a mid pto and it has a fix loader. Biggest different is it is a geared tractor, not a hydrostatic. I believe that last year was its last year offered. There are still some out there and if you don't mind a geared transmission, they are great tractors, and it will last you a life time and then some. Your grandson will have a blast with it if diesel is still available then....

5 acres is a good bit of land to play with.

For many reasons already stated and considering my personal experience as well, I would recommend the 2 series as the minimum.
    Last edited by rtgt; 07-01-2014 at 10:18 PM.
    farmgirl19 likes this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast