Iam not new to tractors, but new to this 1985 John Deere 950. I have run much larger equipment I the past,
Road Graders, Back Hoes, Paving Equipment, Rollers, Grinders, Brush Mowers, Jack Hammers etc....
I live in Northern Nevada out in the Hot dry dusty waste lands. Cold in the winters well.
Have a JD 950 with a JD back Hoe #8 with 3 Buckets, JD Auger, JD Scraper Box #50 and a Country Pride Roto Tiller.
4 x 4, and power steering.
Been working through all the neglect and past abuse on this old girl, trying to give her some love.
This little tractor is a new learning curve for me after running much heavier equipment.
Picked it up last May near Sacramento Ca. Been looking for on CL for a long time to bone up on all these little tractors and who makes what and the prices. A lot of these seem to be gold plated by the prices. LOL
Was about to go to bed and shut down the computer and this listing came up, so jumped on it.
I picked up the shop manuals off e-bay, operators, parts manual, service manual and the back hoe manual for the #8.
been reading through them to understand all the systems etc...
The right out rigger on the BH blew a seal so got it rebuilt, had to have the shaft and piston replace as it was tweeked a bit. that was pricy, and replaced both hoses.
When I removed the Hyd lines the oil was milky from water. OH Joy.
Popped the cover for the Hyd screen and drained it and pulled the Stainless Screen. That thing was so plugged up I don`t know how the hydraulics even worked. They were a bit jerky and slooooow. Wonder why?
The stuff on the screen was rubbery stringy stuff. Think maybe it is the old hoses and cylinder seals deteriorating. So looks like I get to eventually replace everything.
Washed the screen, changed the pwr steering filter and filled with new oil. Then later blew one of the BH swing rams, and had both of them rebuilt, and new hoses. Oil is still milky, probably residual oil in the system. Few more flushes to come.
I replaced the shifter boot, read that is a place for water entry.
Front tires were pretty dry rotted and probably original. Noticed L/F had a plug and was wet around it.
Pulled the wheels and dropped them off. These are tubless tires, but someone had installed tubes. And had a flat at some point and put in that tire goop sealant. The plugged tire when they dismounted it was a mess with good in the tube, but between the tube and tire also. The rims are pretty rusted on the inside. I now have a slow leak in the L/F, could just tube it, but thinking of just replacing them with new wheels. Found a couple places in the mid west that has them for around $130 plus shipping.
The Starter hasn`t always had a lot of oomph kicking the engine over. Battery sits at 12.68V, so that is ok. Turning the key left for the Thermo Start Plug, also turns the engine over. So I figured that is a problem area.
About a month ago the relay started clicking, connected the charger for a bit and she fired right up. put up with this till she would not kick over at all even connected to the charger. All connections are good. Pulled the Alternator and starter and headed to O`Reilly`s. They couldn`t find some sort of a code for their machine, and that took care of that.
Did some Google searching, and e-bay etc... finally ordered parts from Hoye Tractor in Texas. Alternator, thermo start plug, Ignition switch, and solid state VR. Found a new Starter on E-bay made in Canada. Ever heard of Dixie Electric?
Installed everything, but the new VR won`t line up with the old holes. OH Great. Took the old VR apart, ground off rivets etc... and used the old base to bolt the new VR onto, then just bolted it back the way it was.
Cleaned up the battery and made new cables. Using the clamps with the bolt and wing nut.
Connecting the neg cable got sparks. HMMM...checked things and all looked good, but thought something was turned on.
Connected the cable then checked things, and suddenly smoke from under the Dash.
Took panels off and found the culpert wire. moving the wire harness must have cracked some insulation, and where the harness was laying on the cross frame of the dash, wore through the insulation. My moving things around caused it.
The wire from the VR plug back towards the engine got smoked.
Iam in the process of removing the whole harness and redo the whole thing. Iam stuck now on how to get the damn Steering wheel off. GRRRR.