Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Hi all, new menber from Northern Nevada

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-28-2018 @ 12:09 AM
    Thanks

Hi all, new menber from Northern Nevada

Iam not new to tractors, but new to this 1985 John Deere 950. I have run much larger equipment I the past,
    Road Graders, Back Hoes, Paving Equipment, Rollers, Grinders, Brush Mowers, Jack Hammers etc....

I live in Northern Nevada out in the Hot dry dusty waste lands. Cold in the winters well.

Have a JD 950 with a JD back Hoe #8 with 3 Buckets, JD Auger, JD Scraper Box #50 and a Country Pride Roto Tiller.
    4 x 4, and power steering.

Been working through all the neglect and past abuse on this old girl, trying to give her some love.
    This little tractor is a new learning curve for me after running much heavier equipment.

EDIT:

Picked it up last May near Sacramento Ca. Been looking for on CL for a long time to bone up on all these little tractors and who makes what and the prices. A lot of these seem to be gold plated by the prices. LOL
    Was about to go to bed and shut down the computer and this listing came up, so jumped on it.

I picked up the shop manuals off e-bay, operators, parts manual, service manual and the back hoe manual for the #8.
    been reading through them to understand all the systems etc...

The right out rigger on the BH blew a seal so got it rebuilt, had to have the shaft and piston replace as it was tweeked a bit. that was pricy, and replaced both hoses.
    When I removed the Hyd lines the oil was milky from water. OH Joy.
    Popped the cover for the Hyd screen and drained it and pulled the Stainless Screen. That thing was so plugged up I don`t know how the hydraulics even worked. They were a bit jerky and slooooow. Wonder why?
    The stuff on the screen was rubbery stringy stuff. Think maybe it is the old hoses and cylinder seals deteriorating. So looks like I get to eventually replace everything.

Washed the screen, changed the pwr steering filter and filled with new oil. Then later blew one of the BH swing rams, and had both of them rebuilt, and new hoses. Oil is still milky, probably residual oil in the system. Few more flushes to come.
    I replaced the shifter boot, read that is a place for water entry.

Front tires were pretty dry rotted and probably original. Noticed L/F had a plug and was wet around it.
    Pulled the wheels and dropped them off. These are tubless tires, but someone had installed tubes. And had a flat at some point and put in that tire goop sealant. The plugged tire when they dismounted it was a mess with good in the tube, but between the tube and tire also. The rims are pretty rusted on the inside. I now have a slow leak in the L/F, could just tube it, but thinking of just replacing them with new wheels. Found a couple places in the mid west that has them for around $130 plus shipping.

The Starter hasn`t always had a lot of oomph kicking the engine over. Battery sits at 12.68V, so that is ok. Turning the key left for the Thermo Start Plug, also turns the engine over. So I figured that is a problem area.
    About a month ago the relay started clicking, connected the charger for a bit and she fired right up. put up with this till she would not kick over at all even connected to the charger. All connections are good. Pulled the Alternator and starter and headed to O`Reilly`s. They couldn`t find some sort of a code for their machine, and that took care of that.

Did some Google searching, and e-bay etc... finally ordered parts from Hoye Tractor in Texas. Alternator, thermo start plug, Ignition switch, and solid state VR. Found a new Starter on E-bay made in Canada. Ever heard of Dixie Electric?

Installed everything, but the new VR won`t line up with the old holes. OH Great. Took the old VR apart, ground off rivets etc... and used the old base to bolt the new VR onto, then just bolted it back the way it was.
    Cleaned up the battery and made new cables. Using the clamps with the bolt and wing nut.
    Connecting the neg cable got sparks. HMMM...checked things and all looked good, but thought something was turned on.
    Connected the cable then checked things, and suddenly smoke from under the Dash.

Took panels off and found the culpert wire. moving the wire harness must have cracked some insulation, and where the harness was laying on the cross frame of the dash, wore through the insulation. My moving things around caused it.
    The wire from the VR plug back towards the engine got smoked.

Iam in the process of removing the whole harness and redo the whole thing. Iam stuck now on how to get the damn Steering wheel off. GRRRR.

Charlie
    Last edited by charmalu; 02-04-2018 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Added more stuff
    Kennyd, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 3 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    01-06-2019 @ 07:14 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by charmalu View Post
    Iam not new to tractors, but new to this 1985 John Deere 950. I have run much larger equipment I the past,
    Road Graders, Back Hoes, Paving Equipment, Rollers, Grinders, Brush Mowers, Jack Hammers etc....

I live in Northern Nevada out in the Hot dry dusty waste lands. Cold in the winters well.

Have a JD 950 with a JD back Hoe #8 with 3 Buckets, JD Auger, JD Scraper Box #50 and a Country Pride Roto Tiller.
    4 x 4, and power steering.

Been working through all the neglect and past abuse on this old girl, trying to give her some love.
    This little tractor is a new learning curve for me after running much heavier equipment.

Charlie
    Hi Charlie!

Sounds like you've got a wealth of information to share. Thanks for coming aboard!

etcallhome and Levi like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:33 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,613 Posts
    Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    Charlie,

- Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

7. Top | #5
    glc
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:27 AM
    Thanks
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:47 PM
    The Willamette Valley, Laurelwood/Gaston, Oregon
    Thanks
    From The Pacific NW - Oregon!
    Marlin

JD 1026R - March/2013
    JD H120 NSL Loader, JD 647 Tiller, JD Ballast Box
    Frontier BB2048L Box Scraper
    IMatch, Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's Bolt-On Hooks & FEL Receiver Hitch
    John Deere Wheel & Suitcase Weights
    Wheel Spacers - 2" Front, 4" Rear
    Heavy Hitch Hitch’N Can
    LED Lights Front & Rear Facing
    Artillian Forks & Front Hoe
    R4 Tires Front & Rear

https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin...9-2fca25bc3f83

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:13 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,755 Times in 1,213 Posts
    Hello, Charlie. Welcome to GTT.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other stuff.
    ---------------------------------------

" If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"? - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    05-28-2018 @ 12:09 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the great welcome guys, I really appreciate this. Looks like this is a friendly forum.

I thought of some other things to add to my first post to give you a total run down of this tractor, and the problems I have had, and where Iam right now with it.

So go back up and reread my first one.

Charlie

11. Top | #9
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:32 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,993 Times in 2,950 Posts
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast