Thread: 1941 Avery

1. Top | #1
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts

1941 Avery

Someone on another thread asked me to post a couple of photos of my Avery. If I ever win the lottery, this is my restore project. I may have told this story in the past here, and if I have, my apologies.

This tractor was the first piece of motorized farm equipment on my grandparents' farm, when my dad was just a child. My granddad traded in the 2 plow mules on the tractor. All 3 kids cried, because they didn't want to see the mules go. The mules went to work in the rice fields in Louisiana, where, at the time, they couldn't get the available motorized stuff in to work there, due to the wet conditions.

When my grandded passed away, the tractor became my dad's. I was still quite young at the time, and rode several hours on the tractor when dad was driving it. (I know, safety police would cry foul today, probably rightly so, but it sure made some good memories!) When my dad passed away, the tractor became mine. So, she is still technically, a "one owner" girl!

I thought she was a 1936 model for a long time, but looking at her data plate and serial number, she is a 1941 model, according to what I can find online. Sorry for any confusion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0624.2.jpg   100_0625.2.jpg   100_0626.2.jpg   100_0627.2.jpg   100_0628.2.jpg  

Last edited by farmgirl19; 09-13-2013 at 03:35 PM. Reason: more info
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:53 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    Someone on another thread asked me to post a couple of photos of my Avery. If I ever win the lottery, this is my restore project. I may have told this story in the past here, and if I have, my apologies.

This tractor was the first piece of motorized farm equipment on my grandparents' farm, when my dad was just a child. My granddad traded in the 2 plow mules on the tractor. All 3 kids cried, because they didn't want to see the mules go. The mules went to work in the rice fields in Louisiana, where, at the time, they couldn't get the available motorized stuff in to work there, due to the wet conditions.

When my grandded passed away, the tractor became my dad's. I was still quite young at the time, and rode several hours on the tractor when dad was driving it. (I know, safety police would cry foul today, probably rightly so, but it sure made some good memories!) When my dad passed away, the tractor became mine. So, she is still technically, a "one owner" girl!

I thought she was a 1936 model for a long time, but looking at her data plate and serial number, she is a 1941 model, according to what I can find online. Sorry for any confusion.
    Thanks for the photos, farmgirl.

That looks like a great restore project. Hope you can find a way to do it. But more importantly it is part of your family's history, and that is part of America's history.

Rich
    dieselshadow likes this.
    2012 1026R TLB, Countyline 3pt splitter, EMP QA Snowplow.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,035 Times in 2,514 Posts
    Looks like a great project! She is beautifully aged
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the pics! Model "A"?

I used to have a 1948 model "V" in the early 70's. ~~ Lowell

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    11-03-2013 @ 05:44 PM
    Thanks
    My dad had an Avery almost identical to this. His dad had bought it sometime in the '40's and used it for several years raising tobacco on his farm. When my gfather died in 1958 on of his sons took over running the farm. The Avery was parked in the barn. My father "confiscated" about ten acres in the '60's of the family farm on the Kentucky River to use as a weekend retreat/fishing cabin. He was wanting a small tractor to keep the weeds down around his camp and started messing with the old Avery. He got it running in no time, got an old horse drawn sickle bar mower also on the farm and used it to mow his camp. Something happened to the tricycle wheels on the front at some point and he couldn't find parts so he put a Volkswagen front end on it. It worked great. When he died it was sold.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    11-03-2013 @ 05:44 PM
    Thanks
    All of this was before digital cameras but I might have some old photos of it and if I find them I'll post them.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grnspot110 View Post
    Thanks for the pics! Model "A"?

I used to have a 1948 model "V" in the early 70's. ~~ Lowell
    No, mine is a model GG. There were 2 Avery companies near the same time frame, although I do not think their years of manufacture overlapped. One Avery was actually made by the Cleveland Tractor Company. That is the company that made mine, and it was also called, "The General". If memory serves, I think these were sold through Montgomery Wards. (Back then, what wasn't sold thru MW?)

I'd have to look and check my facts on the companies, but I know mine is a GG, as it still has its original tractor serial number plate, as well as the original engine plate.

I'd love to see photos of other Avery tractors.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    03-07-2018 @ 02:10 PM
    Thanks
    Does it run or at least turn over?
    That's one of those tractors I'd have trouble restoring, just keep it running and mechanically sound. It looks great like it is (well, maybe stick a new steering wheel on it ).
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor
    2012 2520 - DELIVERED 27APR2012!!!

Tractor that I used to own - 1954 40 Utility
    KB3WPN

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    andy b. It only has a hand crank on it. I have always had a hard time getting it turned with that. I just don't seem to have the shoulder strength consistently to always be successful. It not only needs a new steering wheel, but also a new seat. While the old steel seat didn't seem that bad when I was younger, in the Texas summers, one could brand that pattern onto theor behind, if not careful. I might just opt for a decent removable cushion, that would fit well and stay in one place.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:53 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,088 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    andy b. It only has a hand crank on it. I have always had a hard time getting it turned with that.
    Photo #3 sure looks like a starter, with no cables going to it.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast