Need help/info on operating an Allis Chalmers D17

Thread: Need help/info on operating an Allis Chalmers D17

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-20-2019 @ 11:06 AM
    Thanks

Need help/info on operating an Allis Chalmers D17

My god father passed away last year and his widow has asked me to help with selling the old tractor. Its a D17 Series IV. It has what looks like a 4 point rear hitch? and is a gas model. We got it started without too much trouble but the hydraulics were a bit confusing. It has 3 levers that look like they are for auxiliary hydraulics, behind that there are 2 levers that look like traditional draft controls for a 3 point hitch, but there are 2 of them..... the one closet to the operator when pulled back lifted the rear hitch but now the hitch won't go down. The other lever doesn't seem to do anything.

I did some googling and some talk about one lever being a traction aid? Also from what I understand the big upright lever is the clutch? Forward is high and back is low(or vice versa), so what are the foot pedals for?

Any thoughts on price? It runs nice but has been outdoors all its life. The throttle is seized so he had a sting hooked up. Also has a plow,discer, and a 7ft sickle mower. The mower looks a bit rough.

Thanks Guys!
    F932-gas with 72" mower deck(sold)
    2720-72" mower deck with hydraulic lift, 3 valve rear SCV, loader, bucket, forks, 84" RFM, blade, 74" snow blower, box blade, land grader........
    2305- sold
    Z915B

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:39 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by clayh View Post
    My god father passed away last year and his widow has asked me to help with selling the old tractor. Its a D17 Series IV. It has what looks like a 4 point rear hitch? and is a gas model. We got it started without too much trouble but the hydraulics were a bit confusing. It has 3 levers that look like they are for auxiliary hydraulics, behind that there are 2 levers that look like traditional draft controls for a 3 point hitch, but there are 2 of them..... the one closet to the operator when pulled back lifted the rear hitch but now the hitch won't go down. The other lever doesn't seem to do anything.

I did some googling and some talk about one lever being a traction aid? Also from what I understand the big upright lever is the clutch? Forward is high and back is low(or vice versa), so what are the foot pedals for?

Any thoughts on price? It runs nice but has been outdoors all its life. The throttle is seized so he had a sting hooked up. Also has a plow,discer, and a 7ft sickle mower. The mower looks a bit rough.

Thanks Guys!
    Send a photo of the the controls when sitting behind the steering wheel. We can mark them with arrows and describe them. It should have 2 arms in back that raise and lower and mounted items have a piece that plugs in underneath where the front of the hitch would go. Kind of a slick system for the day. Send a photo of the back as well. I don’t think the hydraulics work if the foot clutch is in, The hand clutch is back for low, middle for neutral and high for forward. The pto also stops with the foot clutch but not the hand one.

Foot pedals. Left is clutch and the two to the right are brakes, right and left.
    Last edited by Herminator; 10-22-2017 at 11:35 AM.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    08-20-2019 @ 11:06 AM
    Thanks
    Sorry but I'm not near the tractor. Probably be a couple of weeks before I get back there and at that time I may just put it on my trailer and haul it back to my place.
    F932-gas with 72" mower deck(sold)
    2720-72" mower deck with hydraulic lift, 3 valve rear SCV, loader, bucket, forks, 84" RFM, blade, 74" snow blower, box blade, land grader........
    2305- sold
    Z915B

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements