• 5 Post By Treefarmer
  • 2 Post By Gizmo2
  • 1 Post By Zebrafive
  • 2 Post By Zebrafive

Thread: Don't think I could do this again if I tried to, and I don't plan to

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:51 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,488 Times in 1,397 Posts

Don't think I could do this again if I tried to, and I don't plan to

On my new ExMark Lazer Z zero turn with the 60" deck, I noticed my striping wheel wasn't marking the lawn when I was mowing today at my neighbors. Then I noticed this;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180507_141859361_HDR.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	607426 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180507_142220865.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	607434

ID:	607426

Normally, you stand on the deck on a special non slip plate when getting on and off the mower. When I step on the deck normally, it's doesn't flinch or move at all. It is rock solid.

Today, when I got off the mower to see what was causing the striping wheel to not engage, the deck was able to be tilted slightly when stepping on it. Also, there is a pedal which lifts the deck for transport and locks it in position and that pedal wasn't functioning correctly and wouldn't lock the deck in place. The reason was the rear lift arm wasn't allowing the deck to lift high enough to permit the deck to lock up in the transport mode, which is also where it needs to be when setting the mowing height from the drivers seat.

This one little issue sure prevented everything from working as they should. It took me longer to post this than it did to repair the deck and put it back to it's correct position......

Once I jacked up the side of the deck where the chain was bound up, with a floor jack, I could release the tension on the chain. I had to use an impact gun and take the bolt out of the chain and then reinstall it as it was bound up and I couldn't get it to move with a pry bar and I didn't want to scratch anything.

I stopped by the dealer today, who is a good friend, and The dealer told me he has never seen this happen and the factory rep happened to be at the dealership at the same time and he said the same thing. The odds of getting the bounce in the deck (it alone weighs over 425 pounds) and to land in such a manner as to bind the chain has got to be very unlikely.

I used a floor jack and lifted all of the weight off the deck and used an air impact gun to back out the bolt so I could unbind the chain. Once everything was straightened out, the bolt was reinstalled and the other 3 hanging bolts were all tightened about a 1/4 to 1/2 turn to remove any ability for the link on the bolt to rotate as it did to cause the bind up.

Name:	IMG_20180507_150608876.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	607442

Live and learn...... It was a very easy fix, just couldn't recall the bump severe enough to cause this to happen.........

ExMark uses a very simple and tough system to hang their decks. And other than this weird incident, it provides a perfectly level cut and with the striping wheel, which you can see on the last photo on the back of the deck, it provides a really nice finish. Plus their deck is designed to be stood upon to get on and off the mower, which takes some getting used to after years of stepping over the Deere SCUT and Lawn Tractor decks so as to not disturb their levelness.......

Another very nice design feature is that the large pulley / belt safety cover can be removed with one hand and no tools to permit you to use the back pack blower to clean the deck really well. I can remove the cover with my left hand while using the back pack blower and then reinstall the safety cover, just that fast. It snaps into place and is very strong, yet easily removed. That is a great design feature for really keeping the deck clean after every use.

ExMark also uses a very deep (tall) deck which creates a lot of extra lift for excellent cutting. They also have a very high blade tip speed when cutting. While the zero turn is pretty much a single purpose / task machine, this ExMark Lazer Z does that single purpose / task of mowing, extremely well.

I have been extremely pleased with this machine. I already have 80 hours on it since last September.

Check out this new BEAST from ExMark in the attached video it uses the Yanmar in their 96" zero turn rear discharge mower. My dealer friend has 2 of these in stock. Retails for about $45,000 each. He will sell it for $39,900 plus tax. Hydraulic lift and angle bat wing mowers. Really nice mower that mows 12 acres per hour................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cpPn77MVS0
    Gizmo2, Gizmo2, DRobinson and 9 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Thanks

Only $40 grand?

Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    On my new ExMark Lazer Z zero turn with the 60" deck, I noticed my striping wheel wasn't marking the lawn when I was mowing today at my neighbors. Then I noticed this;

ID:	607426 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180507_142220865.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	607434

ID:	607426

Normally, you stand on the deck on a special non slip plate when getting on and off the mower. When I step on the deck normally, it's doesn't flinch or move at all. It is rock solid.

Today, when I got off the mower to see what was causing the striping wheel to not engage, the deck was able to be tilted slightly when stepping on it. Also, there is a pedal which lifts the deck for transport and locks it in position and that pedal wasn't functioning correctly and wouldn't lock the deck in place. The reason was the rear lift arm wasn't allowing the deck to lift high enough to permit the deck to lock up in the transport mode, which is also where it needs to be when setting the mowing height from the drivers seat.

This one little issue sure prevented everything from working as they should. It took me longer to post this than it did to repair the deck and put it back to it's correct position......

Once I jacked up the side of the deck where the chain was bound up, with a floor jack, I could release the tension on the chain. I had to use an impact gun and take the bolt out of the chain and then reinstall it as it was bound up and I couldn't get it to move with a pry bar and I didn't want to scratch anything.

I stopped by the dealer today, who is a good friend, and The dealer told me he has never seen this happen and the factory rep happened to be at the dealership at the same time and he said the same thing. The odds of getting the bounce in the deck (it alone weighs over 425 pounds) and to land in such a manner as to bind the chain has got to be very unlikely.

I used a floor jack and lifted all of the weight off the deck and used an air impact gun to back out the bolt so I could unbind the chain. Once everything was straightened out, the bolt was reinstalled and the other 3 hanging bolts were all tightened about a 1/4 to 1/2 turn to remove any ability for the link on the bolt to rotate as it did to cause the bind up.

Name:	IMG_20180507_150608876.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	607442

Live and learn...... It was a very easy fix, just couldn't recall the bump severe enough to cause this to happen.........

ExMark uses a very simple and tough system to hang their decks. And other than this weird incident, it provides a perfectly level cut and with the striping wheel, which you can see on the last photo on the back of the deck, it provides a really nice finish. Plus their deck is designed to be stood upon to get on and off the mower, which takes some getting used to after years of stepping over the Deere SCUT and Lawn Tractor decks so as to not disturb their levelness.......

Another very nice design feature is that the large pulley / belt safety cover can be removed with one hand and no tools to permit you to use the back pack blower to clean the deck really well. I can remove the cover with my left hand while using the back pack blower and then reinstall the safety cover, just that fast. It snaps into place and is very strong, yet easily removed. That is a great design feature for really keeping the deck clean after every use.

ExMark also uses a very deep (tall) deck which creates a lot of extra lift for excellent cutting. They also have a very high blade tip speed when cutting. While the zero turn is pretty much a single purpose / task machine, this ExMark Lazer Z does that single purpose / task of mowing, extremely well.

I have been extremely pleased with this machine. I already have 80 hours on it since last September.

Check out this new BEAST from ExMark in the attached video it uses the Yanmar in their 96" zero turn rear discharge mower. My dealer friend has 2 of these in stock. Retails for about $45,000 each. He will sell it for $39,900 plus tax. Hydraulic lift and angle bat wing mowers. Really nice mower that mows 12 acres per hour................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cpPn77MVS0
    At that price, I'll take both of them . . . I might need a spare.

Oh well, that ain't gonna happen except in my dreams but someone is going to get a fun ride.

Treefarmer
    Tomfive, Levi, mark02tj and 2 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

4. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,945 Times in 2,908 Posts
    SulleyBear, I've had that happen a few times on our Z-Master 150 in the ~12 years of owning it.
    I was glad to see JD did something different but I think the chains are a better way to go.
    Levi and PJR832 like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:42 PM
    Thanks
    I longer lower bolt with a spacer between the deck and chain might have also prevented the chain from binding

ExMark are well made and that's what I see the commercial mowers using in my area.
    PJR832 likes this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:42 PM
    Thanks
    How does the top chain mount work? I see a bolt head, the chain, then a flange nut.

I assume the bolt has another nut on the other side of the adjusting clevis and the two nuts keep the adjusting clevis tight and the chain is free to move???

I do not think the flange nut is just a spacer, since a spacer would have been cheaper for the manufacturer.

I bet your dealer friend will make sure the lower bolts are tight with the chain in the proper position on the units he sells.
    PJR832 and JD4044M like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

8. Top | #6
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,945 Times in 2,908 Posts
    Zebrafive, On our Toro the chains were completely loose, even both ends.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements