• 2 Post By firemachine69
  • 2 Post By gm1083

Thread: SCUT vs Terramite

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 09:18 PM
    Thanks

SCUT vs Terramite

I have been wanting a slightly faster/stronger/better backhoe lately so I have been casually looking. I've owned my 1025R for 5 years and not once has the rear PTO been used and I don't remember the last time I had the 3pt hitch on, the tractor just stays in TLB configuration.

My tractor has 260 hrs on it and there is a guy with a 500 hour Terramite T9 4x4 who wants to trade. By the specs the Terramite is a more powerful machine but does anyone know anything about these? I know they've been around a long time and seem to have a good following.

Thoughts?
    etcallhome, BigJim55 and ky_shawn like this.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by psrumors View Post
    I have been wanting a slightly faster/stronger/better backhoe lately so I have been casually looking. I've owned my 1025R for 5 years and not once has the rear PTO been used and I don't remember the last time I had the 3pt hitch on, the tractor just stays in TLB configuration.

My tractor has 260 hrs on it and there is a guy with a 500 hour Terramite T9 4x4 who wants to trade. By the specs the Terramite is a more powerful machine but does anyone know anything about these? I know they've been around a long time and seem to have a good following.

Thoughts?
    Many local funeral services and contractors use the Terramite machines. I have never operated one personally performing actual work but have watched them be ran by others and every time I found them impressive in ability. The older machines I see occasionally for sale or at auction appear to hold their value. Overall based on your description of how your tractor is being used I could see you being extremely happy with a dedicated digging machine verses a machine that can also dig with an attachment.

I just looked over the specs of a T9, impressive IMO. Is the T9 your able to trade for powered by the Kubota diesel?
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 07-22-2018 at 03:54 PM.
    etcallhome, psrumors and PJR832 like this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:52 PM
    Thanks
    They are very powerful machines for their size. They are not tractors.
    Your 1025R will run circles around a Terramite in ground speed.
    If you are working in a small area, or dont need to move material very far, very fast, it might be a good deal.
    There is no PTO, no 3-point, etc (back to that "not tractors" thing.)
    It weighs about 5000 pounds, but will lift better than 2000 pounds with the loader. Backhoe is quite a bit stronger too.
    32+ HP Kubota engine, or at least thats what the brochure said for the T9 I saw.
    They are workhorses.

I guess if you dont need the tractor functions, 3-point, rear PTO, etc, then maybe its a good deal.
    etcallhome and psrumors like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 09:18 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ky_shawn View Post
    Many local funeral services and contractors use the Terramite machines. I have never operated one personally performing actual work but have watched them be ran by others and every time I found them impressive in ability. The older machines I see occasionally for sale or at auction appear to hold their value. Overall based on your description of how your tractor is being used I could see you being extremely happy with a dedicated digging machine verses a machine that can also dig with an attachment.

I just looked over the specs of a T9, impressive IMO. Is the T9 your able to trade for powered by the Kubota diesel?
    It is the Kubota diesel

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    They are very powerful machines for their size. They are not tractors.
    Your 1025R will run circles around a Terramite in ground speed.
    If you are working in a small area, or dont need to move material very far, very fast, it might be a good deal.
    There is no PTO, no 3-point, etc (back to that "not tractors" thing.)
    It weighs about 5000 pounds, but will lift better than 2000 pounds with the loader. Backhoe is quite a bit stronger too.
    32+ HP Kubota engine, or at least thats what the brochure said for the T9 I saw.
    They are workhorses.

I guess if you dont need the tractor functions, 3-point, rear PTO, etc, then maybe its a good deal.
    I have tried to find the MPH rating for the Terramite but have been unable to. If it is mini-ex slow then it is not worth it, if it is 1025R in low slow then that would be ok.
    etcallhome likes this.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Thanks

IMAGE OF Terramite T9 4x4

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1000.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	639788
    psrumors and JKR like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,454 Times in 1,579 Posts
    Neighbor has one, seems like it will lift anything. The other year when we replaced the FIL driveway , my 1025r bh couldn't lift some of the concrete sections. Ben brought over his Terramite and he was able to lift up sections of concrete 16-20" deep 4-5' L and 3-4' W.

Now speed wise, using my L Range I still could go faster than him in H Range.

Hyd use, the controls on the BH and FEL smooth compared to the 1025r.

It is one heavy duty made piece of equipment.
    psrumors and ky_shawn like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:52 PM
    Thanks
    Just dont forget too that there is no quick attach bucket for the Terramite. I noticed that earlier when I was looking at them.

I looked for the last half hour, and cant find a darn thing about transport speed, top speed, nothing. I found a video of one poking along, but I was hoping it wasnt full speed, maybe it was.

A while back, when I started looking for a TLB, I started out looking at the T5. I remember back then reading on a few forums about how slow they are. Now that one is smaller than the T9, but the same issues seemed to hold for both, as far as speed and fixed bucket.
    They do have an optional 4 in 1 bucket, which would be nice.
    I gave up pretty quick once I figured out all the limitations they have that most others dont.
    If all you ever use is the loader bucket and hoe, then maybe its the machine for you. I know it wasnt right for me, extra capacity or not.
    Ive got 5 acres, which isnt that big compared to some here, and very big compared to others. I couldnt imagine trying to take that thing around the outside of the woods for something at less than 4mph top speed, and from the comment above, it seems like youd be lucky to go 4. Seems I recall hearing something in the neighborhood of 3 mph but I cant find anything now. They seem more suited to doing a large amount of work in a fixed space rather than what we do with tractors, which is small bits here and there, over and over.

Seems VERY odd that Terramite doesnt list speed on their own literature.
    I found a Kubota comparison brochure and they didnt have it listed either, but since they get their comparison specs from other manufacturers, I guess its not that strange it wasnt there.
    psrumors likes this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    The SCUTs/MCUTs are basically glorified toys/lawn tractors.

The T9 is a "real" working machine, but absurdly slow.

Kind of an apples to oranges comparison.

For the record, I landscape commercially, but I've already made peace that the day I acquire an employee, is the day the 2520 gets traded in for something more "rugged".
    Last edited by firemachine69; 07-23-2018 at 08:55 AM.
    psrumors and mark02tj like this.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    07-19-2019 @ 07:42 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    Just dont forget too that there is no quick attach bucket for the Terramite. I noticed that earlier when I was looking at them.

I looked for the last half hour, and cant find a darn thing about transport speed, top speed, nothing. I found a video of one poking along, but I was hoping it wasnt full speed, maybe it was.

A while back, when I started looking for a TLB, I started out looking at the T5. I remember back then reading on a few forums about how slow they are. Now that one is smaller than the T9, but the same issues seemed to hold for both, as far as speed and fixed bucket.
    They do have an optional 4 in 1 bucket, which would be nice.
    I gave up pretty quick once I figured out all the limitations they have that most others dont.
    If all you ever use is the loader bucket and hoe, then maybe its the machine for you. I know it wasnt right for me, extra capacity or not.
    Ive got 5 acres, which isnt that big compared to some here, and very big compared to others. I couldnt imagine trying to take that thing around the outside of the woods for something at less than 4mph top speed, and from the comment above, it seems like youd be lucky to go 4. Seems I recall hearing something in the neighborhood of 3 mph but I cant find anything now. They seem more suited to doing a large amount of work in a fixed space rather than what we do with tractors, which is small bits here and there, over and over.

Seems VERY odd that Terramite doesnt list speed on their own literature.
    I found a Kubota comparison brochure and they didnt have it listed either, but since they get their comparison specs from other manufacturers, I guess its not that strange it wasnt there.
    I have an old TC5. It is much slower than my Massey, buy it definitely goes faster than 5 miles per hour. It's a hydrostatic transmission, so they don't have a high and low. Top speed is closer to 6 or 7. I can check this weekend. I use it all over my 13 acre property. I hardly ever use the tractor since I bought it, however I'm in the woods, and it's mostly for clearing yupon, loading/unloading , moving dead trees, etc. The backhoe is ample, although again nothing like a full sized one. I've never used a three point backhoe, so I can't compare. It has been ultra reliable, and paid itself off several times over I'm the last year and a half. I paid 6500, but knowing what I know now, I'd have paid more. If you get it, definitely add the piranha toothbar. I realize this thread is older, but I'm brand new. If y'all want exact top speed, let me know.
    psrumors and BigJim55 like this.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements