• 2 Post By John 54
  • 1 Post By Shadow_storm56

Thread: Oil for old perkins?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 06:11 PM
    Thanks

Oil for old perkins?

This is a quick question related to a previous post. My perkins t6.3544 has multiple different oils reccomend, currently I'm using 15w 40 but some sites say I should use strait 30 weight. What do you think is better? Both are listed in the manual as ones to be used.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:13 PM
    Thanks

Go by the manual

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_storm56 View Post
    This is a quick question related to a previous post. My perkins t6.3544 has multiple different oils reccomend, currently I'm using 15w 40 but some sites say I should use strait 30 weight. What do you think is better? Both are listed in the manual as ones to be used.
    If in doubt, go by the manual but check to see if there's an update on the mfg. website. Usually if more than one oil is recommended, there's some criteria related to temperature or type of use. Of course, Perkins recommends using their oil: "Perkins approves and recommends Perkins Engine Oil 15W-40 API CI-4 as the only oil to use in Perkins engines, EU Stage IIIA/U.S. EPA Tier 3 equivalent and below."

Engines benefit from good quality oil | Perkins Engines

If Perkins oil is cost competitive, I'd usetheir oil. If it's way out of line, I'd use a good quality 15W-40 API CI-4 oil. Rotella T-4 meets that spec as do other good brands.

Treefarmer
    PJR832 likes this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Thanks
    Treefarmer hit the nail on the head. The manual or newer available online direction should give you a temp chart that reflects the preferred oil. In cooler/cold weather I’d expect it to go the 30wt route, in hot weather I’d expect it to indicate that the 15w40 is preferable.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 05:40 PM
    Thanks
    Hi All
    Please remember that the perkins 6-354 dates from the 1950's, multi grade oils were not around. The above link is for modern engines, it also says to use only perkins oil in tier 3 and below, it could be specially formulated to run in the older engines. I would contact perkins and check. My experience is that they now best and the result of using the recommended oil made a great difference to my engine.
    Regards John

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John 54 View Post
    Hi All
    Please remember that the perkins 6-354 dates from the 1950's, multi grade oils were not around. The above link is for modern engines, it also says to use only perkins oil in tier 3 and below, it could be specially formulated to run in the older engines. I would contact perkins and check. My experience is that they now best and the result of using the recommended oil made a great difference to my engine.
    Regards John
    While I agree that the older vintage of this engine was designed and intended to run on oils of its era, finding them now to run in it would be like the proverbial needle in the haystack at best. Even if one could find a matching era lube, would it be suitable to run in any application at this point, who knows what its properties are now after almost 70 years of unknown condition storage...

Best bet is to take the advice of the manufacture and perhaps find a modern lube that is directly backward compatible with the original.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 05:40 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    While I agree that the older vintage of this engine was designed and intended to run on oils of its era, finding them now to run in it would be like the proverbial needle in the haystack at best. Even if one could find a matching era lube, would it be suitable to run in any application at this point, who knows what its properties are now after almost 70 years of unknown condition storage...

Best bet is to take the advice of the manufacture and perhaps find a modern lube that is directly backward compatible with the original.
    As I said check with Perkins. They advised me to use Delvac 1330 in my 6-3542 and Mobil Delvac 1330 is available according to the Mobil website.
    regards John
    Treefarmer and PJR832 like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    I decided to try 20w 50 which was listed as an option. I also added some Lucas oil stabilizer, between the 2 it seems to have helped a substantial amount. All Is good now
    Treefarmer likes this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    I'm curious, what is the proper oil capacity for this engine. I have a hunch and I'm curious is all.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements