• 2 Post By Treefarmer
  • 1 Post By Shadow_storm56

Thread: More perkins stuff! Haha

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 06:11 PM
    Thanks

More perkins stuff! Haha

Hello again all, just asking more stuff about the perkins t6.3544, been using it alot lately and managed to find out by trial and error that the dipstick on this second hand engine is wrong. It goes down just past the tip of the dipstick and all my oil burning issues go away. Still like 2.5 gallon or 3 of oil at that point. My question Is has anyone here had the non turbo version of this engine in a high load situation? I'm irrigating with this engine running a 1200 gpm pump and the engine will push a massive amount of water. If I run it at very high load at night I can start to see glowing spots on the exhaust but all other engine temps are still perfect with room to spare. I have no need of running it that hard most times so I cut it back a bit but I'm wondering If it's ok to run that hard? That would be exhaust manifold temps of like... over 1000f. The only time I would need to push that hard Is in the spring on a frost night if I had an issue with my second pump or if we got behind and needed to water everything desperately. The engine will shut down if theres an overheat In the areas with sensors but I don't want the exhaust to back up and overheat my piston heads. Also I have no idea what hp this has, this model seems to have a bunch of variants but I'm thinking it's atleast 138. It is a very loud engine at high rev/load, but works like a charm. I'm sorry to ask so much but I'm trying to keep this engine in good shape as it is very good and I want it to live long.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:13 PM
    Thanks

Irrigation engine

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_storm56 View Post
    Hello again all, just asking more stuff about the perkins t6.3544, been using it alot lately and managed to find out by trial and error that the dipstick on this second hand engine is wrong. It goes down just past the tip of the dipstick and all my oil burning issues go away. Still like 2.5 gallon or 3 of oil at that point. My question Is has anyone here had the non turbo version of this engine in a high load situation? I'm irrigating with this engine running a 1200 gpm pump and the engine will push a massive amount of water. If I run it at very high load at night I can start to see glowing spots on the exhaust but all other engine temps are still perfect with room to spare. I have no need of running it that hard most times so I cut it back a bit but I'm wondering If it's ok to run that hard? That would be exhaust manifold temps of like... over 1000f. The only time I would need to push that hard Is in the spring on a frost night if I had an issue with my second pump or if we got behind and needed to water everything desperately. The engine will shut down if theres an overheat In the areas with sensors but I don't want the exhaust to back up and overheat my piston heads. Also I have no idea what hp this has, this model seems to have a bunch of variants but I'm thinking it's atleast 138. It is a very loud engine at high rev/load, but works like a charm. I'm sorry to ask so much but I'm trying to keep this engine in good shape as it is very good and I want it to live long.
    One summer I babysat a Deutz powered irrigation rig at night. I can recall a dull glow from the stack but not any bright red. Those aircooled engines sounded like they would come apart when first started though. 30 seconds later they smoothed out and were fine running flat out all night.

I think if you know your pressure and gpm there are tables to tell you the hp needed to produce that combo. That would give you the minimum the engine is putting out but of course it could always be more.

Treefarmer
    rtgt and PJR832 like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 06:11 PM
    Thanks
    I have that, I just don't have the engines total hp, just a range of what it could be. It was a dull glow in spots so no different than ur example and the engine itself was still at 195f.
    PJR832 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements