Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: Bought my kid a 8N..........stuck clutch

1. Top | #11
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:59 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    With the pedal depressed as much as possible, tap the pressure plate with a punch and hammer,,
    then tap the edge of the clutch disk.

I had an old Satoh tractor that would stick,, this would unstick it,,
    THEN, I learned to block the pedal for the clutch down if the tractor was gonna set more than a week.

The sticking is due to the shiny metal rusting a little, the rust glues the metal to the clutch disk fibers.

If the tractor has sat for may years in a humid location,, the bond may be too great to break, then wrenches will be needed,,

I even block the clutch on the JD 650 out of fear of a stuck clutch,,,

Oh, yea, a neighbor broke the stuck clutch free by driving the tractor with the clutch pedal depressed, and repeatedly hitting one of the steering brake pedals,,
    that will work also,, up until the process breaks some other part,, like the transmission input shaft,,,

Problem.......there is zero access hole to even see the PP or edge of disk.

Next easiest step is to remove steering box. This opens a hole about 6" x 8" a bit aft of clutch.
    Its got to come off regardless just to do the split so its a good starting point. Maybe with a long brass drift and a b uhhh Large hammer or perhaps air hammer we can rattle it loose.
    Lots of stuff hooked to dash....most needs attention anyway. Throttle ,choke are easy. Oil gage should be simple if the line will cooperate. Then theres the battery tray that seems to bolt to everything and those bolts will likely fight back .
    Lastly the wiring which is kinda spagettied @ the moment....needs cleaned up and none is attatched to anything..Its just floating around behind dash..some with wire nuts..most just twisted together. Voltage regulater is in the middle of the mess covered in oil from the oil gage yet part of the battery tray (i can't use the word)*.....Oh yeah..The Air cleaner seams to be a integregal part of the entire mess...it bolts to dash , battery tray ,VR ,Hood and no doubt something else.

Making room by the saw mill to do the work....its the only flat spot I have left.

Trying to drive it enough to play with brakes /whatever to free it up is just not doable. Ground is too steep ,driveway too long and narrow + on a hillside. These are man killers....Dad lost a Cousin to one back in the 60's...I remember the call and Him leaving for the Funeral. That one rolled sideways on a flat dirt road in east Texas. Probly going too fast and road was rutted...somehow it all went south.
    Gotta teach my kid the right/proper useage...time is not a factor...safety is. He's 30 and has operated machines bigger than this...but back when He was 15....He forgets a lot. I know ,we work together daily

Pics......I have zero luck posting here.....got a couple I can send to rtgt if He don't mind.
    DRobinson and BigJim55 like this.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #12
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Well... Some progress

More clean up...Removed Hood/tank/battery tray today.
    Finally have access to steering box.
    Kid had to go so I blasted the area with "gunk" carb clean /air...Its looking sanitary for removal.

Radiator is/was plugged bad.(in the fins).got 90% out..kinda spooked about messing with it much more for fear of damage.

Thermostat...WOW..its mounted in the middle of upper radiator hose...

Its bad or has turned sideways in hose??..not sure on attacking that one yet. Has constant flow from start up...

Big plan is to unbolt steering box...block up...and see what we can of clutch area.

Possibly can knock it loose?...or its 8 more bolts to split it.

Sent some pics to rtgt....perhaps He can post them...idk

Got a short day tomorrow so something will happen hopefully.
    DRobinson and BigJim55 like this.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

4. Top | #13
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:35 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 764 Posts
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PART951565228703902.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	205.9 KB 
ID:	699474

Name:	vmacocss05951095812337857-1-123951.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	176.0 KB 
ID:	699476

Name:	output3.jpg 
Size:	520.2 KB 
ID:	699478

Name:	output4.jpg 
Size:	446.1 KB 
ID:	699480

Name:	output6.jpg 
Size:	468.8 KB 
ID:	699482

Name:	output7.jpg 
Size:	625.2 KB 
ID:	699484
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rtgt For This Useful Post:

BigJim55 (08-14-2019), DRobinson (08-13-2019), Herminator (08-12-2019), theduke (08-12-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #14

Last Online
    08-22-2019 @ 10:13 PM
    Thanks
    Since you have it taken down this far, take a good look at your steering box. They were originally filled with gear oil that leaks out leaving the bearings dry. Add in whatever rain water or moisture makes its way down the steering column and that makes for hard steering or even no steering if the bearings fall apart. I rebuilt my steering box with new bearings after the bearings came apart from water in the box then added a grease zerk to the fill plug and used JD cornhead grease to fill the box. It has been trouble free for the last 5 years or so now.
    rtgt, BigJim55, theduke and 1 others like this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MTB98 For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman (08-14-2019)

9. Top | #15

Last Online
    08-20-2019 @ 08:43 PM
    Thanks
    Saw the pictures. She's a beauty! Looks like there's a couple of new tools in your future. I was replacing the bumper on my truck last week and finally had the opportunity to use an air chisel I bought years ago before I discovered battery operated tools. I put the punch attachment on a rusted bolt and gave it a quick blip of air. It knocked the rust off and loosened the bolt. I can't believe that I overlooked this amazing tool. I don't know if it will work for your problem, but it's worth looking at.
    My 2 cents.
    BigJim55, theduke and Herminator like this.
    2018 JD 1025r, 54" mower deck, backhoe, front-end-loader, Braber Equipment post hole auger, 9 and 12" augers,
    1999 +/- Craftsman lawn tractor, 46" mower deck.

10. Top | #16
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB98 View Post
    Since you have it taken down this far, take a good look at your steering box. They were originally filled with gear oil that leaks out leaving the bearings dry. Add in whatever rain water or moisture makes its way down the steering column and that makes for hard steering or even no steering if the bearings fall apart. I rebuilt my steering box with new bearings after the bearings came apart from water in the box then added a grease zerk to the fill plug and used JD cornhead grease to fill the box. It has been trouble free for the last 5 years or so now.

Great call on the steering box!

I guess I'm luck in that this is early production and actually has a plug in the side of box. Googled that info this am and found it finally.
    Later units did not. Pulled plug ...its dry. Squirted some Lucas 140 in the bottom.
    Picked up 3 tubes of the cornhead grease. Will install fitting where the plug was and fill it up.
    Remainder of grease will go in the Brush mower gearbox....all its seals are toast And I'm not going down that road.
    Grease is cheap.

Steering box off. Disk is stuck to flywheel but not PP..of course

Soaked it with PB blaster /wd-40 /full can of Kroil...some other majic stuff in a can.
    Rotate squirt......over & over& over.....Hit it with the Heat gun

NOPE

Air Hammer.......just dug it out....... Only spot I can get to is the clutch disk Hub area....I have no faith its going to help and may crack it ....idk

Its soaking.....gonna go dump a can of JD spray degreaser on it later....Only way to get aim is with can upside down.
    Some work this way some don't.

Doing some measuring...if I split it about 3/8 th of an inch.....I'll be looking at edge of Disk.

Thats my plan B.......Gonna be smokin Hot tomorrow and JR. was late today. Provided He shows up on time to go get
    The House up by "Marlins Place" done...( Guttered)..we'll have a chance to try plan B ..If not we'll go at it early Thursday.

Thought about hitting it with CO2...freeze it...If I had that type of FE...I'd have stuck it in there for fun.

Any other solutions...??
    BigJim55, MTB98 and Herminator like this.
    Dan

Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

11. Top | #17
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Pulled the Left floor board off and got the clutch pedal pushed down another 1 & 1/2"

Feels like the disk is seperating....possibly stuck to both sides flywheel/PP.

2 new ideas
    1 lift rear of tractor with hoist....dump a couple gallons of diesel in bell housing area..spin motor to soak it all...pray.

2 buy longer bolts..try a mini split 1/2" plus and see if we can drive a putty knife?...whatever between the stuck parts.

To do a full split...We gotta move 2 dead trucks , the sawmill & partially reassemble tractor (steering box) to be able to move to a flat spot under the other 2 hoists.

Tryed air hammer....No Joy

2 more cans of brake clean/Jd Majic stuff........its got alot of pressure ( clutch pedal way down)....maybe it will pop by tomorrow.
    BigJim55 and Herminator like this.
    Dan

Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

12. Top | #18
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:23 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    Pulled the Left floor board off and got the clutch pedal pushed down another 1 & 1/2"

Feels like the disk is seperating....possibly stuck to both sides flywheel/PP.

2 new ideas
    1 lift rear of tractor with hoist....dump a couple gallons of diesel in bell housing area..spin motor to soak it all...pray.

2 buy longer bolts..try a mini split 1/2" plus and see if we can drive a putty knife?...whatever between the stuck parts.

To do a full split...We gotta move 2 dead trucks , the sawmill & partially reassemble tractor (steering box) to be able to move to a flat spot under the other 2 hoists.

Tryed air hammer....No Joy

2 more cans of brake clean/Jd Majic stuff........its got alot of pressure ( clutch pedal way down)....maybe it will pop by tomorrow.

I would try the mini split. Sounds like your on the right path. If you go senile your going to be posting in a year about all the oil in there but it smells like brake cleaner.
    DRobinson, rtgt, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

13. Top | #19
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    Try 50/50 ATF fluid and acetone. Heard from many that it is a great penetrating fluid.

I'm still laughing about all the things you're NOT going to try in the first post. Do people really try those things in this case???

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    rtgt, BigJim55 and Herminator like this.

14. Top | #20
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:23 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JDSwan87 View Post
    . Do people really try those things in this case???

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Pushing against trees is quite popular with motorcycles and tractors.
    Dave C, BigJim55 and JDSwan87 like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Herminator For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman (08-14-2019), JDSwan87 (08-14-2019)

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast