Like Tree160Likes

Thread: Bought my kid a 8N..........stuck clutch

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Thanks

Bought my kid a 8N..........stuck clutch

Its a 47...first production model.
    Does run..quite well after some carb tuning and general cleanup.

Fixed the lose hubs in the rear ,cleaned brakes ,cleaned air filter (has the optional glass outer pre-cleaner).

Hydro oil is contaminated....more on this.
    Draft control spring shaft has morphed into a 2 piece useless part......more on that later as well.

Came with a ford 5' brush mower that has seen better days and pukes oil out of every orafice....
    Solution ......some combine butter/corn grease thing I read about somewhere . If you have a better Idea lets hear it??
    No its not getting new seals...its older than dirt and the housing is rough at best. Goofy one-off blades. Its getting pumped full of whatever grease and will last long enough.

Tractor has 1 new rear(brand new by previous owner).with no ballast.....dumped the calcium outta the other yesterday and installed new valve stem . Its the 2 piece liquid style. Fronts look great ,hold air but are dated...prehistoric..there fine. This tractor needs front weight...NOT rear. No loader.Not getting one. The less traction the better as they are known to lift the front quite easy. The reason I own a jd 4x4 is cus I got spooked on a 9n.....This is a stepping stone to get my kid into a jd 4x4 scut. Learn the basics on something thats leaving...not the one your keeping.

Pto works ,looks like a new hydro pump was installed?? Plate on the bottom is spotless and shiney..either a rebuild or whatever...it has no paint like the rest of the Red Belly.

Drives....but we havn't....Had the old boy that we bought it from drive it over to the loading site.
    He started it in N then somehow got it into 1st...it would try to die at idle when we showed up so this would have helped.
    Or he bypassed the start in gear switch as there are bare wires everywhere to acomplish this. Its Home.

6v...positive ground...confirmed buy seller. Get it home and the battery is in backwards

These tractors don't care...but Were scared to switch it back...Its working soo.. We'll get to that but of course being an early model it has the front Distributer...PITA.

The BLOCK is Not cracked so were feeling good.

Ok we paid 800...tractor mower.running.

Who here has split a 2,9,or 8N...??

Any other good ideas for unsticking the clutch....??

Pulled starter and dumped 3 cans of brake clean on clutch....it appears that hydro oil is leaking out front of transmission.
    Could be oil stuck...been stuck for a year plus. Pedal has been wired down and He mowed 10 acres with no sign of it unsticking.

No were not running it into a tree.
    Not gonna jack it up ,wind it up in 4th and push it off the jack.
    Tie it to a tree with a long chain and go like a bat outta h55l.

Other solutions are all welcome...pile on if you got a story that works ...or might.

Dan

Yes I've found a couple other forums...not a member of any.
    I like it here but realize I'll have to look around a bit .
    Last edited by theduke; 08-10-2019 at 10:32 PM.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:19 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,060 Times in 751 Posts

Well you wanted a tractor with no brains.

This is gonna be a fun one to follow.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:52 AM
    Thanks
    I split one about 15 years ago. I don’t have any tips but I remember it was super simple, almost split itself.

Are they a live pto, ie: does the pto stop with the clutch? If so mowing 10 acres and not having it break free seems like more might be needed that something this simple.

The brake cleaner is a good idea but if it has a oil leak in that area and is still stuck, again sounds like something else going on.

Can you see the throw bearing and fingers moving when you push the pedal from anywhere under it or a mirror though the starter hole? It would be nice if it was just an adjustment problem.
    DRobinson, rtgt and BigJim55 like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Herminator For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman†(08-14-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Herminator View Post
    I split one about 15 years ago. I donít have any tips but I remember it was super simple, almost split itself.

Are they a live pto, ie: does the pto stop with the clutch? If so mowing 10 acres and not having it break free seems like more might be needed that something this simple.

The brake cleaner is a good idea but if it has a oil leak in that area and is still stuck, again sounds like something else going on.

Can you see the throw bearing and fingers moving when you push the pedal from anywhere under it or a mirror though the starter hole? It would be nice if it was just an adjustment problem.

You can't see s77t.

Clutch is adjusted proper as all that is external.
    Pulling the starter gives you a peek....at the wrong side of flywheel. Not to mention that the starter falls apart as the mounting bolts hold it together.

I previously read this and was prepared...So RTGT...don't laugh it up yet. I'll surely give you a few more chances before this is over.

Yea ..the worm hole...you a can " reach around".. the flywheel and feel the PP..spin flywheel o optimal area to squirt.
    All this after you build a custom straw with a lighter and shrink wrap....the first one launched off the can never to be seen again. Second attempt was better but the dam straws are so short now...used to get 6" or so.

My next thought was wd-40.....it does dry up eventually.
    There was mention of filling bell housing with diesel and running it. Fill through flywheel/ inspection/timing hole....
    this is First year production....NO timing HOLE.....I could pull a steering box bolt and feed diesel through it but its tiny.

I've been looking into drilling the hole for the sherman trans shifter. That would give me good aim at the clutch side of flywheel and perhaps be usefull later.
    rtgt, BigJim55 and Herminator like this.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:52 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    You can't see s77t.

Clutch is adjusted proper as all that is external.
    Pulling the starter gives you a peek....at the wrong side of flywheel. Not to mention that the starter falls apart as the mounting bolts hold it together.

I previously read this and was prepared...So RTGT...don't laugh it up yet. I'll surely give you a few more chances before this is over.

Yea ..the worm hole...you a can " reach around".. the flywheel and feel the PP..spin flywheel o optimal area to squirt.
    All this after you build a custom straw with a lighter and shrink wrap....the first one launched off the can never to be seen again. Second attempt was better but the dam straws are so short now...used to get 6" or so.

My next thought was wd-40.....it does dry up eventually.
    There was mention of filling bell housing with diesel and running it. Fill through flywheel/ inspection/timing hole....
    this is First year production....NO timing HOLE.....I could pull a steering box bolt and feed diesel through it but its tiny.

I've been looking into drilling the hole for the sherman trans shifter. That would give me good aim at the clutch side of flywheel and perhaps be usefull later.
    At some point the spring will fall off the end of the starter when you bump it just right against the bell housing taking it out. Then you will split it but all you will need is longer bolts to slide it apart to get it to fall out. That might be a way to see if the throw out bearing is pushing against the pressure plate come to think of it or if the fingers that hold the throw out bearing are bent The fluid is only going to work so well because while everything else frees up the stuck part won’t have oil on it.

You might ask the old owner if it had been free and when. Depends on him on how honest an answer you get.
    Last edited by Herminator; 08-10-2019 at 11:32 PM.
    DRobinson, rtgt, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The long bolts is a thought. But if it comes apart it needs a trans seal ,and might as well put in a clutch kit at that point

Old boy...75ish...paid 2200 for it maybe 3 years ago.
    Been stuck since last spring....I can see it in the google maps pic.
    He seemed honest and babied it through last summer...Bought a nice 2040 to replace it.

Wasn't the sharpest stick in the shed but not totally illiterate.

While we "bought" a known problem...we bought it at a fair price , maybe a touch high but it was close and has a trashed but useable mower.

I did just find a used trans with the Sherman in it already not far from here..CL
    Looks to be an 8n...but I gotta look a bit closer. Dude has a whole pile of parts.

While they are nice to slow it down.....they slow the pto speed as well

Still haven't figured out why they were even used...maybe a plowing thing????...more gear selection?
    Dan

Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:37 AM
    Thanks
    Marvel Mystery oil. Donít laugh

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbar View Post
    Marvel Mystery oil. Donít laugh

If I can get it to the disk........I've got the air fillable wd-40 can...old school red one......google is retarded and can't find a pic.

Anyways.........if iI can build a snorkle to point it through starter hole and at clutch disk...its a maybe.
    I can get like 100 psi in the can and may have to dilute it slightly.......

Keep the ideas coming.

Pulling the starter is a pita.
    The drain petcock for the block is right in the path. Its not coming out of a 70 year old engine without a fight.
    Dam starter has a 6" long nose and gear that engages the "back" of flywheel.......yet mounts from front.

It should mount from the back....makes no sense. They could have used a standard ford starter as the gear is clearly visible.

I guess they invented that at a later date..............
    DRobinson, rtgt, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    Dan

Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 1,065 Posts
    oh boy---pics-pics.
    dieselshadow and Herminator like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim55 For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman†(08-14-2019)

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 05:15 AM
    Thanks
    With the pedal depressed as much as possible, tap the pressure plate with a punch and hammer,,
    then tap the edge of the clutch disk.

I had an old Satoh tractor that would stick,, this would unstick it,,
    THEN, I learned to block the pedal for the clutch down if the tractor was gonna set more than a week.

The sticking is due to the shiny metal rusting a little, the rust glues the metal to the clutch disk fibers.

If the tractor has sat for may years in a humid location,, the bond may be too great to break, then wrenches will be needed,,

I even block the clutch on the JD 650 out of fear of a stuck clutch,,,

Oh, yea, a neighbor broke the stuck clutch free by driving the tractor with the clutch pedal depressed, and repeatedly hitting one of the steering brake pedals,,
    that will work also,, up until the process breaks some other part,, like the transmission input shaft,,,
    Last edited by CADplans; 08-11-2019 at 07:31 AM.
    BigJim55, theduke and Herminator like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CADplans For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman†(08-14-2019)

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast