• 1 Post By Tx Jim
  • 1 Post By 56FordGuy

Thread: Montana 3240 transmission disaster

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    03-01-2019 @ 08:10 PM
    Thanks

Montana 3240 transmission disaster

My neighbor has a Montana 3240 with PTO issues. He was brush cutting his field and the pto suddenly stopped working. Now when engaging the pto (with no implement on) the pto shaft spins but with a horrible grinding noise. Obviously there are internals that have failed but my question is should I dig into this thing myself? I have been a dealership tech for over 20 years and have overhauled numerous transmissions, engines and axles but this whole tractor transmission/pto/hydraulic mystery box is just that, a mystery. I was never a big fan of this Montana tractor from the day he bought it. Seems really cheap and it only has 300 hours. Has anyone every overhauled a tractor tranny? Should I just swallow my pride and tell him to take it to a tractor service garage? What are your thoughts? I do have a service manual but the translation from Korean to English is horrible and it just makes things a little more difficult.
    2011 1026R 54"MMM, D120 loader w/snowbucket and bucket quick attach conversion, 5' bush hog, middlebuster, 260 backhoe
    Remember: Too tight is two pieces

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 10:13 PM
    Thanks
    The Montana tractors were built by LS. Pretty much the same machines as the FarmTrac.

I'd be leary of not being able to get it back together after I got it apart.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    03-01-2019 @ 08:10 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    The Montana tractors were built by LS. Pretty much the same machines as the FarmTrac.

I'd be leary of not being able to get it back together after I got it apart.
    Jim that's my concern as well haha. I not thinking I should dive into this thing at this point.
    2011 1026R 54"MMM, D120 loader w/snowbucket and bucket quick attach conversion, 5' bush hog, middlebuster, 260 backhoe
    Remember: Too tight is two pieces

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    05-20-2019 @ 06:52 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fuelhog2000 View Post
    Jim that's my concern as well haha. I not thinking I should dive into this thing at this point.
    I personally would have a beer and step away from the Montana
    mjncad, DRobinson and fuelhog2000 like this.
    John

Case 1070 Agri King with Cab loader and 12 Speed Power Shift

JD X485 with 62C deck
    JD 425
    JD 325 With 48 inch Deck and 30 Mechanical Tiller
    JD Gator TH 6x4
    JD 216H 46 mower and 33 tiller
    Stihl MS250, KM130R

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    10-04-2018 @ 11:48 PM
    Thanks

It's a big job- not for newbies

Quote Originally Posted by fuelhog2000 View Post
    My neighbor has a Montana 3240 with PTO issues. He was brush cutting his field and the pto suddenly stopped working. Now when engaging the pto (with no implement on) the pto shaft spins but with a horrible grinding noise. Obviously there are internals that have failed but my question is should I dig into this thing myself? I have been a dealership tech for over 20 years and have overhauled numerous transmissions, engines and axles but this whole tractor transmission/pto/hydraulic mystery box is just that, a mystery. I was never a big fan of this Montana tractor from the day he bought it. Seems really cheap and it only has 300 hours. Has anyone every overhauled a tractor tranny? Should I just swallow my pride and tell him to take it to a tractor service garage? What are your thoughts? I do have a service manual but the translation from Korean to English is horrible and it just makes things a little more difficult.
    I just finished putting a John Deere 2305 hydrostatic tranny and final drive back together in late April this year. I bought it as an assembled basket case. I know it's not the same tractor but it has 3 different PTO shafts, final gear drive, rear axles and hydraulic drives, three point hitch and a couple things I've probably forgotten all in one case. Very complex and not cheap at all to repair. Metal filings everywhere. Many, many hours of cleaning! Probably 40 to 50 hours to fix it all. I got a lot of parts used and still have $2500 in parts I bet.I don't have many hours on the repair but that is just because I'm too busy with other things to run it. Not sure I've got this posting thing down. I typed this out twice but it didn't come out the same both times
    fuelhog2000 likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 03:51 PM
    Thanks
    Without a very good understandable tech manual I advise to not touch the Montana tractor with even a 10 ft pole!!!!!!!!
    fuelhog2000 likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:09 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,088 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Jim View Post
    Without a very good understandable tech manual I advise to not touch the Montana tractor with even a 10 ft pole!!!!!!!!
    Even with a good tech manual, I would stay away with out a known, reliable parts source. Having a dealer nearby isn't good enough when they may have to wait months for an order to arrive from overseas.

Let the machine sit and take up space in their shop while they wait for parts.
    fuelhog2000 likes this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements