Need advice/input on large nonrunning articulated tractor

Thread: Need advice/input on large nonrunning articulated tractor

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-26-2015 @ 07:08 PM
    Thanks

Need advice/input on large nonrunning articulated tractor

While on a road trip back in the 1990's, I happened to see a large articulated tractor(non Deere) sitting by itself . Ever since then I have driven back into the countryside to see it again. Being the tractor nut that I am, I admittedly have tractor lust. I also love a challenge. Right now, I do have enough project tractors to keep my busy, but I cannot get that behemoth out of my mind. Yes, I have a thing for big machines and small ones too. It will take some time, money, and effort to move the tractor.

Here's some of the known challenges I'll face upon trying to move it.

1. It has 8 wheels(4 sets of duals)on it right now. The duals will have to be removed in order to put it on a trailer.

2. Weighs somewhere between 25,000 and 30,000 pounds. The engine alone weighs 6000+ pounds. Gonna have to probably invest in a big engine hoist and maybe special stand.

3. It has not run in many years. If I could get it running it would make the loading of it onto a trailer far less complicated and less chance of damaging anything. But, it appears that getting it running where it sits right now is not realistic.

4. Will have to hire a heavy duty truck and trailer to haul it.

5. There is limited room to back a large trailer through the gate opening and avoid the house that sits on the front of the property.

6. It will have to be hauled through the one gate opening, as there is a deep ditch along the front and a barbed wire fence. The property faces a two-lane country highway.

I probably won't attempt to buy it right now, but want to do the necessary brain storming way in advance just in case.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,579 Posts
    Pics?

Sounds like you have the basics covered.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I'm a little hesitant to post pics of it, since I don't have a purchase agreement finalized with the owner.

Probably need to maybe measure the gate opening and also the distance from the house to the fence. Sure wish there was another gate entrance further away from the house. I kind of entertained the idea of a large wrecker trying to pull it to the gate opening. But, that would increase the risk of damaging drive components. And, it would be dangerous to load it on the highway. There are a lot of hills and turns on the highway that can limit a motorist's view of anything parked on the highway and they might not be able to slow down in time. People drive crazy fast regardless.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:09 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,088 Posts
    It had to get where it is somehow. Is there access through another side of the field? Perhaps you could take down (and put back up when finished) a section of fence to get a truck in and out. Depending on how far you have to trailer it, you may be able to get by without removing the duals. If it was running, your almost certainly could if you simply drove it. That's a big risk for a machine that hasn't run in years though.

I see a winch truck and a gooseneck/ drop deck trailer as the solution if it has to be hauled. You could even hire a wrecker to winch it onto the trailer if necessary. Can you tell us what type of tractor it is, or what type of transmission it has? A geared machine would be less risky to load than a hydro, but even a hydro should have a way to disengage the drive system to move a disabled machine.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Interested to see how this ends up.

Yeah, I'd be looking at buying it too if I were you...
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Thanks
    I wish I had the money to even seriously think of tackling such a project.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    09-11-2019 @ 01:31 PM
    Bloomingdale, NJ which is in the north east part of NJ
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    I wish I had the money to even seriously think of tackling such a project.
    X2 and add the time as well
    Rob

second owner of '05' John Deere 990 CUT with the following:
    JD 300CX FEL
    JD 8B BH
    JD PF
    Artillian PF with 2" reciever hitch adapter
    JD BB
    SpeeCo 3PH Wood Splitter
    Also an independent SplitFire Wood splitter

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robpm View Post
    X2 and add the time as well
    x3 and add the space and tools too
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    It had to get where it is somehow. Is there access through another side of the field? Perhaps you could take down (and put back up when finished) a section of fence to get a truck in and out. Depending on how far you have to trailer it, you may be able to get by without removing the duals. If it was running, your almost certainly could if you simply drove it. That's a big risk for a machine that hasn't run in years though.

I see a winch truck and a gooseneck/ drop deck trailer as the solution if it has to be hauled. You could even hire a wrecker to winch it onto the trailer if necessary. Can you tell us what type of tractor it is, or what type of transmission it has? A geared machine would be less risky to load than a hydro, but even a hydro should have a way to disengage the drive system to move a disabled machine.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Interested to see how this ends up.

Yeah, I'd be looking at buying it too if I were you...
    It's a gear drive tractor. Looks like I'll have to find the time to drive back out there to reevaluate things. Even if I could take down a section of the fence, that ditch is way to deep to navigate and there'd be property damage for sure with a heavy truck and tractor crossing it. I haven't seen if there is another gate somewhere on the back of the place. That fence was for sure not there when the tractor was parked. The gates in front are tall chain link type. Considering the distance and other concerns, it would better to not even contemplate trying to get it started. With so many unknowns, there's little chance it could be started anytime soon without many days spent working on it.

It bothers me to think of it just sitting there for another decade or more without it being fixed up. The tires still hold air. It may not have all the fancy options like today's machines do, but then again it doesn't have all the sensors and other electronic stuff that can fail as quick as the wind changes directions. So far, it looks to be worth fixing up.
    EDIT: Forgot to add that it's mainly red in color. Gotta be mysterious about it till I can close the deal on it.

Last edited by green and red man; 01-22-2013 at 01:55 PM.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements