Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: New Farmall B

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Thanks

New Farmall B

We bought a new...well a used...Farmall B. It is a one owner unit. My father in law bought it new 60 and some odd years ago... It was his first tractor.
    We gave $400 dollars for it, that may be too much since he paid around 700 for it
    I couldn't decide if I should start a thread in the restoration forum, but my wife doesn't want to restore it. She said it has looked the same for the past 40 years, and will look the same for the next 40 It doesn't have one bit of paint on it. Farmall was smart to make the faded paint match rust My wife was very happy to get the tractor away from her father. He is 85 years old and don't need it, but he thinks he does.
    She has raked an incalcuable number of acres of hay with it in her life. It's going to need the usual maintenance, tires, and some tlc. It hasn't been ran in a couple of years, but it drove into the barn under it's own power. I will get some pictures this weekend.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,296 Times in 2,584 Posts
    That sounds pretty cool Arlen.

Plan on using it with a finish mower?

Sent from a phone with a tiny keyboard and a crazy auto-correct feature
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    If I found one that its massive 18hp could handle I might, but the only thing it knows how to do is rake hay and pull hay racks. It may be too old to teach it any new tasks
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:35 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,088 Posts
    Cool old tractor.

I know where there's a MMM off of a Super A. I'm certain the deck itself would work, not sure about the mounting brackets. They might.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    07-11-2019 @ 06:46 AM
    Thanks
    When I was 5 years old, my first driving experience was on a Farmall B. They would put it in 1st gear, half throttle and I would sloooowy pull a loaded hayrack from the field into the dooryard. Since I could not reach the pedals, I would drive in a circle until someone would meander up the tractor, push the clutch in with a hand and pop the gear shift into neutral. I do recall when I got older (around 7 or 8) pulling a loaded hayrack downhill on a loose gravel road when the heavy wagon which weighed more than that B began to push that tractor with wheels sliding in the loose gravel. That was my first lesson in ballast. I quickly realized that I would jacknife unless I outran it, so I threw the tractor in high gear and gave it full throttle. Luckily the hill was steep but short and once I hit the level everything was OK. But I never forgot that a load heavier than the tow vehicle is a recipe for disaster without proper weight management.
    Jim
    USMC 73-77
    1026R, H120 Loader, 53" Bucket, 60" 7 Iron Auto-Connect MMM, Artillian Forks, Artillian Front Hoe, King Kutter 48" Tiller

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ndrmyr View Post
    When I was 5 years old, my first driving experience was on a Farmall B. They would put it in 1st gear, half throttle and I would sloooowy pull a loaded hayrack from the field into the dooryard. Since I could not reach the pedals, I would drive in a circle until someone would meander up the tractor, push the clutch in with a hand and pop the gear shift into neutral. I do recall when I got older (around 7 or 8) pulling a loaded hayrack downhill on a loose gravel road when the heavy wagon which weighed more than that B began to push that tractor with wheels sliding in the loose gravel. That was my first lesson in ballast. I quickly realized that I would jacknife unless I outran it, so I threw the tractor in high gear and gave it full throttle. Luckily the hill was steep but short and once I hit the level everything was OK. But I never forgot that a load heavier than the tow vehicle is a recipe for disaster without proper weight management.
    Now that's wierd. That post could have been written by my wife...and any one of her 6 brothers and sisters My FIL always said he put the littler kids on the steep hills because they wouldn't (couldn't) try to stop while coming down the hill. 5 years old seemed to be the golden age for learning to rake hay or pull wagons. Times have changed.
    I get a little paranoid pulling hay wagons with my 4720, when I was a kid, we had a little Allis wd that couldn't have weighed more than 2000 lbs, and I never thought twice about it....It's a wonder any of us survived.
    JD 320D Skid Loader

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:51 AM
    Thanks
    I know you said you will get pictures this weekend, but....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	239750.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	15634
    Without ice cream, there will be darkness and chaos!
    Olympian Don Kardong

1965 110s, 1966 110, 1967 112, 2001 LT150, 2003 GT245, 2004 GX345, 2006 X320

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    08-26-2015 @ 07:08 PM
    Thanks
    A Farmall B was the first tractor one of my uncles in Oklahoma had owned. I recall seeing it at his place ever since I was old enough to remember. Pretty sure he only used it for mowing. Years later he bought larger tractors and expanded his cattle operation, so the little B just sat in the same place out in the open. My uncle passed away in 1994 and all the rest of his tractors and equipment were sold off.

I enquired about buying the B more than a decade ago, but since then a tree fell on it and really did some damage to the sheet metal. My aunt passed away last year and nobody is living on the property.
    I bet that tractor is still sitting there in the same spot.

Recently I came across an International B for sale. Sure looks different. Never really knew there was such a tractor. Only seen Farmall's.

Uncle Wayne likes this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I've been thinking about the mowing thing... The B may not be an ideal mower tractor, but it would handle a 60 inch deck OK according to the dealer. I visited the dealer that sold the tractor to my FIL 60 years ago. They have went through a few changes, but the same family owns it. They are a woods dealer also, and they are less than 7 miles from me.
    Anyway, I would like to find a used deck. It would be kind of an odd ball since the pto runs the opposite direction of most tractors. A brand new woods, with brackets, belt and gauge wheels is about 3400 bucks. Not out of the question, but not real enticing either. It would be a pretty stable setup compared to modern CUTs...even with the narrow front. It it 7 feet wide and weighs in at 3500 lbs and has a quite low CG. The left wheel sticks out a foot or so compared to the right side. He said they are actually pretty good for mowing ditches, they don't flip, they will just slide down if it is too steep.
    I'll get those pictures tomorrow
    JD 320D Skid Loader

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    07-11-2019 @ 06:46 AM
    Thanks
    I was at an auction last year where they sold a Cub lo-boy with the woods mower. It was a former Navy tractor, still had the nameplate on it. I recall when we thought those were quite the mowing machine. This was the yellow and white version and was in well-maintained condition. It went for $1850. I suspect if you hit the auction circuit you would eventually find a mower at a deep discount. The sub-compact's and zero-turns have destroyed that market.
    Jim
    USMC 73-77
    1026R, H120 Loader, 53" Bucket, 60" 7 Iron Auto-Connect MMM, Artillian Forks, Artillian Front Hoe, King Kutter 48" Tiller

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast