• 2 Post By Johndeere3720
  • 1 Post By Bill Berger

Thread: Hinomoto E150D project tractor

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-06-2017 @ 11:32 AM
    Thanks

Hinomoto E150D project tractor

So since I have been procrastinating on fabricating a new frame up for a fuel tank on my Onan HDKAG generator I decided to pick up another diesel project since most of my projects lately have been electrical or hydraulic. Plus, who wouldn't want another machine to tinker with. None the less, I of course chose a project that would challenge me, not just with a new problem, but with difficult to find parts.

Last week I brought home this Hinomoto E150D. Really it is a clean little tractor. Manufactured between 1979 and 1982 it is a little older vintage than some of my more recent projects but still not quite "antique". This tractor was reported to have sat for 3 years in a barn untouched. It had reportedly mowed a field last and parked, nothing was wrong with the tractor when it was parked. When the owner came out to start it 3 years later it would not start. The starter gave a solid single click but would not turn over the engine. Then the tractor was sold to the guy I got it from who really just pulled out the glow plugs, sprayed PB blaster into the precombustion chamber (thinking it was a direct injected engine) and let it set for 3 months. Now considering my generator had a similar fate when it was left untouched for 2 years I figured this may be a similar problem and could be an easy fix. However I never go into a project like this not expecting to do a complete rebuild or engine replacement if necessary. More in the next post...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6858.jpg   IMG_6864.jpg   IMG_6860.jpg   IMG_6889.jpg   IMG_6878.jpg  

mjncad, RandyM, Gizmo2 and 5 others like this.
    2004 John Deere 317
    66" bucket, forks, imatch adapter plate, Bobcat 72" Landplane, 60" 4 in 1 tooth bucket
    2005 John Deere L118
    42" deck, bagger
    2004 Bobcat 430
    4 buckets, brush rake, ripper, concrete breaker

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:20 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,654 Times in 1,086 Posts
    Curious to see how this one turns out. I suspect an electrical issue...
    Johndeere3720 and BigJim55 like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 56FordGuy For This Useful Post:

Johndeere3720 (09-06-2016)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    After bringing the tractor home I picked up a new battery and low and behold all it does is click once. The engine does not turn over via the starter. I tried to bar over the engine @ the crankshaft with no luck either. Even putting it in gear and rocking it did nothing.

Since it was so locked up I pulled the injectors and filled the cylinders with ATF and let them sit for a few days. After a few days I tried again with no luck. Yesterday I decided to pull the head to see what the cylinders looked like. The exhaust valve for number 1 cylinder was stuck open and cylinder 1 was a bit rusty, cylinder 2 looked to be in pretty good shape other than being sooty. After cleaning cylinder 1 a bit I tried to bar it over with no luck, still locked up. So once again I poured a little ATF in the cylinders and am letting it sit. Not knowing a lot of the history of this tractor it could have a spun bearing causing the issue, hard to tell without digging further into it. From my research on various forums several people have this tractor but no one knew where to get parts nor would get a response when they asked. After searching the web I managed to locate a couple of E150D's being parted out as well as most everything to do a complete rebuild on the engine I have now. In my mind I don't want to order anything until I know for sure that the bottom end of this engine is okay, and that the cylinders for sure are what locked this engine up and not something else. For anyone looking for E150/E150D parts Southern Global and Stevens tractor are an invaluable source for parts, definitely worth checking out. More to come later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6913.jpg   IMG_6915.jpg   IMG_6916.jpg   IMG_6922.jpg   IMG_6924.jpg  

IMG_6926.jpg   IMG_6933.jpg  
    mjncad, RandyM, Gizmo2 and 5 others like this.
    2004 John Deere 317
    66" bucket, forks, imatch adapter plate, Bobcat 72" Landplane, 60" 4 in 1 tooth bucket
    2005 John Deere L118
    42" deck, bagger
    2004 Bobcat 430

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:25 AM
    Thanks
    Neat, have fun with your latest project.

By chance is/was Hinomoto part of Toyota? The reason I ask is, correct me if I'm wrong; but aren't Hino medium duty trucks made by Toyota?
    I have more ideas than ambition.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    Neat, have fun with your latest project.

By chance is/was Hinomoto part of Toyota? The reason I ask is, correct me if I'm wrong; but aren't Hino medium duty trucks made by Toyota?
    I'd be curious as to if Toyota is involved with Toyosha which is who manufactured this tractor for Hinomoto as well as Massey Ferguson.
    mjncad likes this.
    2004 John Deere 317
    2005 John Deere L118
    42" deck, bagger
    2004 Bobcat 430

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:42 PM
    Thanks
    Huh. I see these Hinomoto machines on Craigslist every now and then. Usually they are all rusted out and being sold as scrap metal. Your's looks to be in pretty good shape! Hopefully you can get that engine freed up!
    DRobinson likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Huh. I see these Hinomoto machines on Craigslist every now and then. Usually they are all rusted out and being sold as scrap metal. Your's looks to be in pretty good shape! Hopefully you can get that engine freed up!
    They do tend to come up from time to time here too. I do know of a good short block for it if I cannot get this engine freed up or if the block or bottom end is too far gone to salvage. I'm really hoping it's just the pistons seized in the bore.
    mjncad and 56FordGuy like this.
    2004 John Deere 317
    2005 John Deere L118
    42" deck, bagger
    2004 Bobcat 430

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    09-05-2019 @ 06:50 PM
    Thanks
    Interesting read, and nice pictures to go along with the project.
    Best of luck. I too am one of those who despise seeing good equipment go to waste.
    Johndeere3720 likes this.
    The I.R.S. must love poor folks, they create more and more every day.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements