Thread: We got a Cat

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:35 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,088 Posts

We got a Cat

Always been more of a dog person...

I found this thing a few months ago when we moved the cows out to the lease, but didn't think much about it. Abandoned on the only flat spot on the side of a mountain, the cows aren't up there so I didn't spend much time around it. When we went out a few weeks ago, I made a point of riding back out and taking a closer look at this thing. I've always like stuff with tracks, especially small stuff. I had a Case/ Davis trencher with steel tracks for a while, and always wanted a Struck/ Magnatrack. They're basically garden tractor size machines, but with tracks. I just think they're neat, and since deciding the F932 lawnmower project was too much trouble...something more than three times the size in much worse condition only makes sense as the next project.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3686.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	3.42 MB 
ID:	239746

It's a 1937 Caterpillar model Twenty Two. It's a four cylinder hand crank engine, originally designed to start on gasoline and once warmed up switch to 'tractor fuel' which would be similar to kerosene or diesel. General consensus is that today, trying to run one on diesel is more trouble than it's worth and the best way to go is to run it on 100% gasoline. there were aftermarket electric starters available in the 30s and 40s for them, but they're hard to find today and difficult to piece together without having a custom ring gear made for the flywheel. The landowner is out of state, so it took some time to track him down and work out a deal. It was there when he bought the property several years ago, and there it still is. At this point I still didn't know much about the mechanical condition, when I looked at it I didn't even get off the horse. I went out there again to try and see what I was getting into without tearing into it too much. I was able to get to it in the two wheel drive, but it was tricky.

Name:	IMG_3821.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	3.85 MB 
ID:	239762

The seat is gone, the engine is seized, the PTO lever is seized, exhaust stack is missing, exhaust manifold is broken, and radiator completely empty. Despite all that I still bought it. The levers all move, the clutch pedal moves, I soaked the tracks with a few cans of penetrating oil and tugged on it with the truck to see if it would roll. It would not.

Name:	IMG_3833.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	239770

Name:	IMG_3834.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	239778

Name:	IMG_3837.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	3.14 MB 
ID:	239794

So, with the tracks soaking I left and began doing research and planning the recovery.
    Last edited by 56FordGuy; 09-17-2016 at 01:43 PM.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, DRobinson and 22 others like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Thanks
    So today I set off to try and bring it home. It hadn't rolled when I tried before, so I went expecting the worst. I carried everything I thought I might need, including boards and pipe in case I had to roll it.

This was the best section of road once I turned off the pavement.

I chocked the wheels, dropped the ramps and hooked onto it.

Then I winched the truck and trailer back up underneath it. This thing was not going to roll easily.

I had thought that might happen, so I tried releasing the steering clutches. On these machines the steer clutches and steer brakes are controlled separately. When you pull back on a steer lever, that disengages the track on that side and allows it to free wheel. Pull back on both, and the tracks are disengaged from the transmission.

For reference, the roof of the house in the back of the video is on another mountain about two miles away. My little winch performed admirably. I'd hate it if it gave up and died right now, but couldn't complain. That winch doesn't owe me a thing, it's paid for itself time and time again.

Got everything secured and headed home. Got a couple of waves and thumbs up on the highway coming through town.

Aside from the problems listed earlier, there is also an issue in the transmission or driveline somewhere. With it in neutral, it should roll even with the steering clutches engaged but it doesn't. It's possible, though unlikely that issue is also what's holding the engine from turning over. I blocked the clutch pedal down and it still won't turn over, so either the clutch is stuck, the engine is stuck, or probably both. The radiator support has been cut on and has a large chunk busted out of it as well.

I found a guy in Riverton that has three of these for sale. Two run, one has a dozer blade. He also claims to have a ton of spare parts including a freshly rebuilt engine on a stand. Once I get a few other things finished and can really get after this, I may check in with him. I also found a guy another guy just over the mountains in Laramie that has a couple of these and a bunch of parts also.

Once I get it off the trailer I want to get the cylinders soaking in penetrant, then probably just let it sit until I can get the roller and the 650 done. The 22 is going to be a slow project I believe.
    mjncad, RandyM, Gizmo2 and 27 others like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 56FordGuy For This Useful Post:

lindsey97 (05-22-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:22 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,086 Posts
    56 fordguy--so ur attracted to CATS-huh nice find-hope u the best.
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, 56FordGuy and 3 others like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    56 fordguy--so ur attracted to CATS-huh nice find-hope u the best.
    Never really been a Cat guy, but this one is a good size. It weighs 6,000-6,500 lbs so it's easy to move with a pickup and should fit into one side of the garage to work on it. Parts aren't so big that you need a hoist to handle them, unlike a lot of tracked equipment. It's big enough that it could handle a decent sized pull type implement, so I could use it to actually get something done unlike a smaller garden tractor sized crawler. Those are fun, but wouldn't be practical for me. This one won't be super practical, but it could handle the roller I'm building or a pull type road grader.

I hope I can get it running and functional, but we'll have to see what happens as I get further into it. With a seized engine and a transmission problem, I really don't know what part of this machine you could consider 'good'.
    Last edited by 56FordGuy; 09-17-2016 at 02:28 PM.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, DRobinson and 8 others like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 10:39 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,064 Posts
    It looks and sounds like you have your work cut out for you on this. Good luck with it and I hope you find less things wrong with it then you think.
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, pcabe5 and 5 others like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1˝" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 979 Posts
    Good luck to ya 56FG, you dang sure going to need it.
    One heck of a project, but I like dozers.

Had a chance to buy an old D-2 many moons ago from a farmer friend, had a pony gasoline engine to start the diesel.
    The pony engine even had an electric start, not the hand crank.
    Had a blade, still ran, pretty good overall condition.
    I let it slip by because I was too busy at work, dumba$$, dumba$$, dumba$$!!!
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

10. Top | #7
    Official "Groovie" Dude
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    then probably just let it sit until I can get the roller and the 650 done. The 22 is going to be a slow project I believe.
    Um, aren't you forgetting one? The beer project?😄
    Gizmo2, rtgt, Levi and 2 others like this.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:35 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    Always been more of a dog person...

I found this thing a few months ago when we moved the cows out to the lease, but didn't think much about it. Abandoned on the only flat spot on the side of a mountain, the cows aren't up there so I didn't spend much time around it. When we went out a few weeks ago, I made a point of riding back out and taking a closer look at this thing. I've always like stuff with tracks, especially small stuff. I had a Case/ Davis trencher with steel tracks for a while, and always wanted a Struck/ Magnatrack. They're basically garden tractor size machines, but with tracks. I just think they're neat, and since deciding the F932 lawnmower project was too much trouble...something more than three times the size in much worse condition only makes sense as the next project.

Name:	IMG_3686.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	3.42 MB 
ID:	239746

It's a 1937 Caterpillar model Twenty Two. It's a four cylinder hand crank engine, originally designed to start on gasoline and once warmed up switch to 'tractor fuel' which would be similar to kerosene or diesel. General consensus is that today, trying to run one on diesel is more trouble than it's worth and the best way to go is to run it on 100% gasoline. there were aftermarket electric starters available in the 30s and 40s for them, but they're hard to find today and difficult to piece together without having a custom ring gear made for the flywheel. The landowner is out of state, so it took some time to track him down and work out a deal. It was there when he bought the property several years ago, and there it still is. At this point I still didn't know much about the mechanical condition, when I looked at it I didn't even get off the horse. I went out there again to try and see what I was getting into without tearing into it too much. I was able to get to it in the two wheel drive, but it was tricky.

The seat is gone, the engine is seized, the PTO lever is seized, exhaust stack is missing, exhaust manifold is broken, and radiator completely empty. Despite all that I still bought it. The levers all move, the clutch pedal moves, I soaked the tracks with a few cans of penetrating oil and tugged on it with the truck to see if it would roll. It would not.

So, with the tracks soaking I left and began doing research and planning the recovery.

You would have been better off with a dog.

Dave
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, pcabe5 and 7 others like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Glad to see it loaded with relative ease. The way you first talked I thought you wouldn't be able to get the truck/trailer near it.

Also good to hear you have a few sources for parts nearby - I think that will be the key for you rehab.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Getting up there was better than I thought it might be, but still kind of nasty. Soft, sandy soil followed by rocks larger than a basketball.

Right now I make no guarantee of how this will end. While I would love to rebuild it, if I find a catastrophic problem it may have to live on as parts for other machines.

Of course, I don't yet count the facts that the engine and transmission are locked us as catastrophic enough to condemn it, so who knows what would.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, DRobinson and 9 others like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast