Who makes it?

Thread: Who makes it?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks

Who makes it?

I was in a NON Green dealership & I noticed that the Snapper lawn tractors on display looked a lot like Massey Ferguson lawn tractors. I have a business relationship with the owner of the dealership & I asked him if Massey Ferguson was building tractors for Snapper.

I was told NO. It was Briggs & Straton engines that got involved with building the Snapper tractor & found its business expanding from it that they also started to build the lawn tractors for Massey as well. I think he also told me that B&S is now building units for Murray as well as another name brand which I can't recall right now. All this has me wondering how much longer Deere will continue to assemble all the tractors in its current lineup. I may be wrong, but I think Deere is the only one left that has not spun off any of its lines. Massey Ferguson-which IMHO builds a really nice product has seen fit to spin off its L&G's & just concentrate on its diesel line.

I was told that all these companies, like Massey Ferguson, Snapper, Murray have given over some of their product lines to companies like B&S and it has been a financial bonanza for all involved. B&S wanted to increase its capacity for engine building & the tractor companies were looking for a way to reduce engineering costs, common parts inventory, etc. Personally I think Deere is moveing closer & closer to spinning off some of its models, especially the low end gas engine puddle jumpers used on 1/4 acre grass lots. Just my own feelings on it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    I think that I read somewhere, (here on GTT maybe?) that JD was no longer going to be making the small riding mowers. The dealers are going to be carrying Briggs and Stratton.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    08-26-2015 @ 07:08 PM
    Thanks
    When MF was bought out(or merged) by/with AGCO, a lot of things changed considerably. They quit sending me free hats for one.

Wasn't it John Deere that made the Sabre and also the Green Machine lineup of trimmers?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    rgd
    Last Online
    02-18-2019 @ 10:52 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by green and red man View Post
    When MF was bought out(or merged) by/with AGCO, a lot of things changed considerably. They quit sending me free hats for one.

Wasn't it John Deere that made the Sabre and also the Green Machine lineup of trimmers?
    My son in law had a Sabre,by John Deere . He put that thing through heck....always out in the weather, dont now if it ever had an oil change,and it just died last year. I believe it was 12 yrs old. He mowed 5 acres almost every weekend. It was the same size,same fender/body panel as my JD gt 275, but not near as heavy duty. My 275 should last my lifetime gauging against his experience
    JD 2520 TLB
    JD gt 275

Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

7. Top | #5
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by green and red man View Post

I wouldn't doubt the Green Macine line of trimmers, since my mom has had one of those for 20 years, and used it in places that a trimmer had no business. My dad bought the thing, a couple of years before he died, and this is the first year it has gone to the shop. My mom has NO mechanical knowledge, and is VERY hard on equipment. Anything that can last more than a season or two with her, must be made to last. That is why I think it was probably a Deere.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:07 AM
    Thanks
    My dirty mind always gets a kick out of the Snapper brand name for outdoor power equipment; because OPE is not what I'm thinking of when I hear the word snapper. Didn't their logo have a snapping turtle in it?
    I have more ideas than ambition.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 AM
    Thanks
    Snapper is now owned by Simplicity, which in turn is owned by Briggs. So that's where the Briggs tie in lies. The Snapper lawn tractors are re-badged Simplicitys.

John Deere made the Sabre and the Scotts line of tractors in their Greeneville, Tennessee plant. That plant now makes the D-series (and the L-series and LA series that preceded the D-series). The few years, Briggs made the Deere branded push mowers. Deere made an agreement with Honda to sell Honda mowers in JD dealerships and Deere in return stopped selling their Deere branded push mowers. If you see any Deere branded push mowers at a dealership, they're NOS (new old stock) and once that inventory is gone, it's gone.
    Without ice cream, there will be darkness and chaos!
    Olympian Don Kardong

1965 110s, 1966 110, 1967 112, 2001 LT150, 2003 GT245, 2004 GX345, 2006 X320

10. The Following User Says Thank You to T-Mo For This Useful Post:

farmgirl19(05-10-2013)

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Mo View Post
    Snapper is now owned by Simplicity, which in turn is owned by Briggs. So that's where the Briggs tie in lies. The Snapper lawn tractors are re-badged Simplicitys.

John Deere made the Sabre and the Scotts line of tractors in their Greeneville, Tennessee plant. That plant now makes the D-series (and the L-series and LA series that preceded the D-series). The few years, Briggs made the Deere branded push mowers. Deere made an agreement with Honda to sell Honda mowers in JD dealerships and Deere in return stopped selling their Deere branded push mowers. If you see any Deere branded push mowers at a dealership, they're NOS (new old stock) and once that inventory is gone, it's gone.
    Your correct! That's a part of the information my dealer friend told me but I could not recall. Briggs has gone balls out in the lawn tractor market. The Simplicity buyout by Briggs was a well planed move. I think there is now a total of five brands owned by Briggs. Massey-Ferguson I believe now only concentrates on their diesel line of tractors. A few years ago, Massey was really cleaning house & dumping their marginal franchise dealers. They put a lot of dealers out of business. The dealer I know was pushing just under One million dollars a year in tractor sales & they wanted more from him. He is just a two man dealership & has the dealership for over forty years. If you get an opportunity to talk to a smaller franchise owner you get a real insight as to how demanding & brutal a business it is. A real nightmare.

And while a lot of us hate to say it- I see a lot of reduced quality in the JD line. JD has videos comparing their line to Kubota. But I've yet to see a JD video comparing their line to Massey Ferguson. Why? Massey is just as good & better in some areas- and a lot less in cost. Just my own observation here. I'm a green guy all the way. But if I ever need to make a change for whatever reason, I would go with the Red & Grey of MF & then Ford. There really isin't much left out there when it comes to a quality tractor.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements