• 1 Post By rydplrs
  • 1 Post By POWERSTROKE

Thread: I know its not Green, but

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-18-2016 @ 01:43 PM
    Thanks

I know its not Green, but

I know its not Green but, I found a tractor on Cl, its a Sears with a 16hp onan engine, add says a v16, 3spd with high low and comes with a blade on back for asking price of 350. Is this worth picking up just for the engine if it runs good? Did john deere use this same engine for anything? I know some JDs have onan engines. the pic I post is from the add. what can tou tell me on this?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	248241
    Bubber likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:41 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mbtupps View Post
    I know its not Green but, I found a tractor on Cl, its a Sears with a 16hp onan engine, add says a v16, 3spd with high low and comes with a blade on back for asking price of 350. Is this worth picking up just for the engine if it runs good? Did john deere use this same engine for anything? I know some JDs have onan engines. the pic I post is from the add. what can tou tell me on this?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	248241
    I can tell you I had almost that exact tractor. My grandfather bought ours new in 1977. I am pretty sure ours was rates at 18 HP 6 sp (3 with high/low). Knowing how they rate small motors, I bet it was the same motor and 1 year different. They call those tractors "Suburban" tractors. There is a definite following. I had the sickle bar mower, front blade, and MMM. Our motor never impressed me. It was hard to start when it sat for an extended period. Maybe we just had a bad one.

If I had to guess, based on the age alone, I would say that buying it just for the motor might be hard to justify. Others may disagree.

Lee
    2305, 200CX loader w/53" bucket, 62C MMM, and 47 SB.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks
    Hiya,

The older "Sears" Suburban tractors were made by the Roper Tractor corp. They were around for years and have a great following. I think Husky bought them when they started their power equipment line in the US but I could be wrong and it may have been MTD.

Tom
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:09 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,088 Posts
    I had one very similar with a front blade. Solid little tractors with a pretty good collector following. I don't know if I'd pay $350 just to pull the engine out, but that's probably a fair price of you wanted it as a tractor with the blade. I sold one not running for $200.
    Levi likes this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:10 PM
    Thanks
    I have never seen a horizontal shaft motor be plug and play between tractor brands.

if you look at Kohler for example, there are about 500 different k321's and none are mix and match.

that onan is also turned sideways compared to JD so the exhaust is definitely a problem
    dd57chevy likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    01-16-2017 @ 02:18 PM
    Thanks
    I'm another person NOT IMPRESSED with Onan engines. I've had a garden tractor with a B48G On an in it that was completely rebuilt just before I bought it. It was restored/refurbished/rebuilt when roughly 20 years old. I've had it 16 years now, every 120-140 hours it needs a set of points and a condenser that last time 3 yes ago cost me $65.

I semiretired that tractor last spring. Tractor is fine, would really like to drop an air cooled Duetz diesel engine in place of that Onan.

The chances of an engine in a Sears Suburban fitting in another brand of garden tractor is sketchy at best, but a running 16 hp Onan should be worth most of the $350 price.

I'm not a big fan of people who buy something to "Flip it" to make money. 95+% of the sellers know nothing of the history of the machine. I'd walk away as soon as I heard that. I keep my machines. I have a garden tractor Dad bought brand new in 1965 and I ran 4-5 hours a week all summer for ten-twelve years till I moved out on my own. Another garden tractor I've had for 35 years and the one I've had 16 years. Then the two antique tractors I've been around one since 1968, and the other since about 1958-'59. And my 20 year old pickup I ordered out and waited 13 weeks for it to be built. I don't get rid of stuff that still works for me!
    robpm likes this.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements