Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Time marches on

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks

Time marches on

Very little remains of what once was a typical American farm. My granddad bought a small farm after WW2 and pretty much things was set in motion then. Theres a lot I could write about but to keep this short and to the point I'm just hitting the highlights.

Over time his two eldest sons started their own roots farming together and somewhat quickly became a fairly large operation for our area during that specific time. By the early 70's they were to a point of needing to upgrade equipment and pretty much was going to do it by the "go big or go home" mindset. In came a IH 915 combine, 2 IH 1066's tractors, IH 8 row corn planter, 8 row John Deere bean planter, grain trucks, plows, disks, etc etc etc. All of this stuff is considered small in today's world but in the 1970's these boys was farming.

I grew up on this farm and loved every minute of it! As a lot of folks know or remember the agricultural business took some really hard knocks in the early 80's as many other areas of industry did in this country and that is the biggest factor in what kept this farm from growing any larger. Other than trading the 915 combine off for a newer machine, the equipment purchased in the 70's was still in use putting out crops up until 2007. The grain was still being hauled out of the fields in the same trucks purchased back then. These guys drilled into my brain maintenance is everything and using the same equipment for over 30 years says something, to me it does anyways.

The last few years they farmed it was more for passion than business and eventually health and age trumped the passion. Most everything was sold with exception of some acreage, the shop, shed, a few tractors and handful of implements. Last week we buried one of the two uncles that taught me most everything I know to this day. The other has health issues that keeps him pretty much kicked back in his recliner, granddad has been gone for years, and the rest of family has scattered to different counties and many to different states so there's not many of us around these days. I was honored when my aunt called and asked me to come "put away" what equipment is remaining and thought I would share a few pictures of some of the old iron that once made the money.

The 135 Massey Ferguson is the first diesel tractor ever to come onto the farm and granddad purchased it on 10/10/1966. I know this because the dealership put his name and the date purchased onto a small plaque and it's still on the tractor today. This tractor has been flat out amazing, other than replacing one front rim, the injector pump, and the seat this tractor has ran since the day it came home new with virtually NO problems. It has a 3 cylinder Perkins and the tractor is estimated to have around 8 thousand hours. I say estimated because this tractor has worn out several tachs and we simply lost track of the hours each had when replaced. The 1066 is a 1975 and was the tractor that did the majority of tillage work and ran hay equipment. It has had one clutch, a TA, injector pump, and 1 major engine overall. Other than that it's untouched including the turbo. The original engine started knocking around 10 thousand hours and when it was rebuilt, a new tach was installed and its reading 1684 hours today. The other tractor is a 1959 Massey Ferguson 50 gas burner. This tractor had very little to do with our farming operation, it was one of those "think I'll buy that just because I like it" tractors by my uncle in his later years. It's got 6143 hours on the original working tach and other than a cam shaft being replaced, a paint job in the 80's and probably a dozen carb rebuilds, it's pretty much untouched mechanically as well. I removed the bushhog off the 1066, pulled the rear blade off the Massey 50, and lined them up in the shop where the combine and headers once was stored. I pretty much did all it takes to store a tractor for an extended amount of time.

As much as it breaks my heart I'm anticipating these old tractors to sit here until the tires dry rot off them. It's crazy to have looked around at what once was a staple of a small community where everyone gathered to tell stories and borrow tools to patch up the stuff they broke on their properties but those times are long gone, it's now just a pole barn housing what little remains.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Last edited by ky_shawn; 10-13-2016 at 02:52 PM.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ky_shawn For This Useful Post:

BigJim55 (10-13-2016), etcallhome (10-13-2016), JDSwan87 (10-13-2016), Levi (10-13-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 672 Posts
    What a great piece of history and story. You are correct, there is no stopping time, it is up to us to remember. Thank you for the post.
    etcallhome, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RandyM For This Useful Post:

ky_shawn (10-13-2016)

6. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    I'd like to read this but find it impossible due to the wall of text. Could you put some paragrahs in there (by hitting the enter button once in a while)?
    RandyM, Old Cajun and johnH123 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    I'd like to read this but find it impossible due to the wall of text. Could you put some paragrahs in there (by hitting the enter button once in a while)?
    Sure thing sir, give me a moment.
    Gizmo2, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ky_shawn For This Useful Post:

coaltrain (10-13-2016)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 10:40 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the memories. Has a Farmall employee i probaly put the front tires and Hubs on the 1066. It is a great tractor that still has some work left in it. I worked there from 1972 till the plant closed. Hopefully they find a new home and get back to work. If you have no use for them have your Aunt sell them i know she could use the money and your grandfather would want to keep them going not just setting. that 1066 open station is a good tractor most of them are Cab tractors.
    Levi, BigJim55, Old Cajun and 1 others like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    08-02-2019 @ 05:58 AM
    Thanks
    ky_shawn,

I couldn't agree with you more.

My Great Grandfather started a farm after emigrating to the US in 1901. After he passed, my Grandmother (the eldest child), put her Brother in charge of the farm and he ran it until the early 70's before passing it on to his Son. I visited a few times as a small boy, when my Mother went to visit her aunts, uncles and cousins.

By the early 2000's most of the farm had been sold off. I was one of those that moved to another state at that time. I haven't kept in close contact with my distant cousins that still had the farm. I don't even know if it's still in the family. Time, change and death are things you just can't stop.

That was a wonderful story and great pictures. It brought back memories.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Tom

2010 JD LA115 mower w/bagger
    2011 JD 10P dump cart
    2016 JD 1025R TLB: H120 loader w/ 49" bucket - 260 BH w/12" bucket - 60D MMM w/auto PTO - iMatch Quick Hitch
    Heavy Hitch toothbar | Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks | Ken's Seat Springs | Ken's Diff Pedal | Edge Tamers
    Frontier 2048 Box blade | Frontier LR2060L Landscape Rake
    2016 Cyclone Rake model Z-10

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ky_shawn View Post
    Sure thing sir, give me a moment.
    Thank you very much! Going back up to read it now.

-------------------

Loved your story! Not only the machinery aspect but the heritage of your family and the farm. I see that you really appreciate all of it.

The original equipment being used all that time is awesome. It remimds me of a local highway/road contractor - all major work on roads here in PA is done by contractors. Don't know exacty when or how old - but around 25 years ago this contractor bought close to 100 Peterbuilt tri-axle dump trucks. I would bet that 95% of them are still used everyday.

This guy was very demanding about the maintenance and of the drivers. One example is that if you didn't warm up your truck for at least 5 mimutes at the beginning of the day you were done. He also will not let them convoy which is so common with dump truck drivers arounds here - 4 or 5 of them running together. They had to be spaced out if they happened to come upon each other.

Your story gave me a good feeling - a success story in a very hard business during very hard times.
    Last edited by coaltrain; 10-13-2016 at 03:22 PM.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifterbike View Post
    Thanks for the memories. Has a Farmall employee i probaly put the front tires and Hubs on the 1066. It is a great tractor that still has some work left in it. I worked there from 1972 till the plant closed. Hopefully they find a new home and get back to work. If you have no use for them have your Aunt sell them i know she could use the money and your grandfather would want to keep them going not just setting. that 1066 open station is a good tractor most of them are Cab tractors.
    With one uncle still living I'm not sure what will come of the tractors. If the opportunity arises I would be honored to purchase them and keep them in working order. When they started me disking on the 1066 I was to small to push in the clutch sitting down, I had to stand on the clutch to get it depressed. In today's world someone would have had them arrested for putting a kid on a tractor with a cooler full of pop and turning them loose in a field.

The left side fender has the paint worn off in the middle of it from all the butts that sat on the fender to ride along over the years. That alone warrants never wanting this tractor repainted. Lots of memories!
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 10-13-2016 at 03:32 PM.
    etcallhome, Levi, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifterbike View Post
    I also want to thank you for your words about working for farmall and most likely being the one who put the hubs on it when it was new. It's my understanding they were only made at the one plant. The duals are still the original tires it came from the dealer with. The rest had been replaced several times but those duals never was and have been worn out and weathered for as long as I can remember. The insides was always loaded for weight but the duals wasn't and used for floatation to keep the soil from compacting as bad.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ky_shawn For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike (10-13-2016)

16. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterThanATonka View Post
    ky_shawn,

I couldn't agree with you more.

My Great Grandfather started a farm after emigrating to the US in 1901. After he passed, my Grandmother (the eldest child), put her Brother in charge of the farm and he ran it until the early 70's before passing it on to his Son. I visited a few times as a small boy, when my Mother went to visit her aunts, uncles and cousins.

By the early 2000's most of the farm had been sold off. I was one of those that moved to another state at that time. I haven't kept in close contact with my distant cousins that still had the farm. I don't even know if it's still in the family. Time, change and death are things you just can't stop.

That was a wonderful story and great pictures. It brought back memories.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Amazing to think about a farm being started in 1901 and still being around over 100 years later! Glad it brought back a memory and I welcome any memory from anyone that would like to share something they would like to not be forgotten.
    Levi, BigJim55, Old Cajun and 2 others like this.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast