• 2 Post By mjncad
  • 2 Post By Rescue43

Thread: One expensive used engine

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-26-2015 @ 07:08 PM
    Thanks

One expensive used engine

One of the Farmall's I own is an 806 row crop tractor with a D361 engine. That's an inline 6 cylinder.
    It needs another engine. For a while I've been working on other tractors and it got set aside. Well, I decided to start looking at engine replacement options again. There is what I call a stupid Texas emission law that prevents salvage yards from selling a complete running engine here. I don't recall what the law states exactly. Perfectly good engine blocks at some dealers were deliberately ruined to comply with this law. This is one reason I have had some difficulty locating replacement engines for some Farmall diesels.

I started checking for complete running engines in other states and found one. All this business wants for this rebuilt engine is $5700. That means I'd also owe $1500 for a core and still have to pay for the freight to ship the replacement engine here and then pay more freight to ship the core back.

What a deal!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Thanks
    When the hell did Texas become Banifornia?
    I have more ideas than ambition.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    02-27-2014 @ 12:05 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    That was my first thought as well. Next thing you know, they will have a disclaimer stating that tractor engines may cause birth defects and cancer.
    1968-110...1969-110...1971-110...1972-110...1976-210...1977-300...1978-316...1981-314...1990-2155 with loader.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    It has been slowly creeping up on us. Perfectly good engine blocks that will never be built/cast again have been destroyed and melted down. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if some ended up in China.

I know of someone who was in the middle of restoring a 560 and got an unpleasant surprise. This happened in another state. One day he went back to a popular salvage yard where there were several 560's being parted out. The last time he was there buying parts was about a month or so prior. He ended up needing more parts and had to drive about two hours each way to get to this particular salvage yard. When he got there, he was totally shocked. All the 560's had been hauled off and crushed or cut up for scrap. Neither he nor myself could make any sense of this.

7. Top | #5
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Be interesting to hear from those in other states, as I believe this is actually "your federal tax dollars at work".

Sort of like the old 55mph Speed Limit, that was shoved on States, under the "saves fuel and saves lives" slogan. Anyone that has ever driven across west Texas can tell you how stupid and mundane that can be at 55. Of course, Texas adopted the 55 for a time, so they could get federal dollars. At least we have some areas where we can legally run 75 again now! Saves a lot of time on the road if one is going to cross Texas.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    Be interesting to hear from those in other states, as I believe this is actually "your federal tax dollars at work".

Sort of like the old 55mph Speed Limit, that was shoved on States, under the "saves fuel and saves lives" slogan. Anyone that has ever driven across west Texas can tell you how stupid and mundane that can be at 55. Of course, Texas adopted the 55 for a time, so they could get federal dollars. At least we have some areas where we can legally run 75 again now! Saves a lot of time on the road if one is going to cross Texas.
    Oh yeah, I remember that 55mph business. Took so long to get to Oklahoma. Think it took like 4 hours just to get to McAlester. After they changed it to 75 mph in the daytime, it takes maybe a lil over 2 or 2.5 hours, depending on how bad the traffic is in Dallas. That's one city I wish I could avoid completely, when heading North.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post

You may very well be right that the "Cash for Clunkers" engine destruction rules were extended to off-road machinery.

Ah yes, Jiminy Peanut's awful "Double Nickel" national speed limit. Personally I'd like to see autobahn speeds on the wide open interstates outside of major cities wherever possible. Even at 75-MPH, the eastern plains of Colorado are just like driving through Texas.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements