• 1 Post By Kennyd

Thread: Chains for boots and shoes

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:42 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,584 Posts

Chains for boots and shoes

Just wondering with all the snow and freezing conditions ,if anyone else uses these. I have been using these for the past 2-3 yrs , and I love them... Mine broke Wed while taking down Christmas decorations might have been able to do a poor fix but decided to order a new set.
    I put these on my boots at the first thought of falling or freezing conditions and take them off at end of season. Directions state not to wear on cleared concrete, I have worn them across the basement floor. Walked on rugs in our laundry room , down our wooden steps , steep grades with and without snow asphalt or concrete have had no problems.
    Went on line Thur morning and ordered the YakTrax Pro Ice Grips received them today USPS. I thought of buying the cleats for boots but them only having maybe 10 cleats sticking down ,just wasn't sure, I knew these worked.

Ordered them from TheWarming Store Yaktrax Pro Ice Cleats, Ice Grips and Winter Walking Aids - The Warming STore

Be safe. I know doing against the directions ,but they work great ...first time walking on smooth surface or driving tractor just beware they are on your boots or shoes. Has saved me from falling on our driveway or over at the church doing off the sidewalks and steps.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to etcallhome For This Useful Post:

PaDave (01-04-2014)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,035 Times in 2,514 Posts
    I have a set of those as well, and some Grip-X ones they gave us at work for walking on ice. I think for long tern durability the Grip-X ones are better, but either will save your a** from falling on it
    etcallhome likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:42 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,584 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    I have a set of those as well, and some Grip-X ones they gave us at work for walking on ice. I think for long tern durability the Grip-X ones are better, but either will save your a** from falling on it
    Our supervisors won't get us anything for our boots... We was lucky to have a vehicle that would run. Always NO MONEY in budget, and make sure your safe out and about. Don't fall and hurt yourself. Seriously if someone had mentioned these they might have ordered them for us. Knowing some of our workers I could see them walking with them on ,across a new hard wood floor ...
    Last edited by etcallhome; 01-04-2014 at 10:14 AM.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    11-06-2018 @ 08:03 AM
    Thanks
    Hmmm, I have a pair in the closet that someone gave me as a present a while back. I've never tried them, but I may need them to get my mail today. My driveway is slick right now!
    2003 JD 4110, FEL, 60"MMM, 54" Blade, 46 Backhoe, MCS, BB2060
    1989 JD 332, 50"MMM

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks
    Pull a pair of old sweat socks over your shoes. They work great.
    Have wings, will travel.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    02-17-2014 @ 04:55 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post

Ordered them from TheWarming Store Yaktrax Pro Ice Cleats, Ice Grips and Winter Walking Aids - The Warming STore

Be safe. I know doing against the directions ,but they work great ...first time walking on smooth surface or driving tractor just beware they are on your boots or shoes. Has saved me from falling on our driveway or over at the church doing off the sidewalks and steps.
    et,

Yea, be careful where you wear them. They won't take much abuse... at least the ones I had didn't. Wore them a couple times over sneakers to wet wade the river. Tore them up pretty quick. I went with another brand with the carbide spikes. They hold up great and work on ice, and I can still wear them wade fishing.
    Dave

2011 - X320
    2000 - LX-288 - Gone, but not forgotten
    1988 - 240 - Long Gone, but probably still running

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    First snow storm before Christmas I was heading out in "duck feet" boots to the wood pile like I've been doing for 17 years with this wood pile... Next thing I see is cedar trees and sky, I'm flat on my back! No harm done, I'd have to pay big $'s for that adjustment at the chiropracter...

Next day, with 3 open measures of bird food, I turned the corner by the downspout... and I was looking into the snow on the front yard. (Expletives deleted) I went inside and ordered a set of those spirally Yaxtrax from LL BBean and got 'em 2 days later.

I have to say that Cabela's version of insulated side zip duck boots are pretty well made, but the soles have very little traction to start with. Mine were polished smooth. The Yaxtrax really give me a more confident wood gathering experience... But is't tough not turning an ankle with 2 loaded milk crates of wood going over the driveway. Which gives me the chance to update my zip duck boots with some new ones and leave the Yaxtrax on the old ones... (Yaxtrax are a PIA to put on the boot, and don't let them hit you in the eye when you take them off, they will double for a slingshot during a survival situation!)

I paid something like $30 for those same ones, but then it's BBean's and the shipping is fast/FedEx and they have a no question-no BS return policy for all their merchandise.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 10:33 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    Just wondering with all the snow and freezing conditions ,if anyone else uses these. I have been using these for the past 2-3 yrs , and I love them... Mine broke Wed while taking down Christmas decorations might have been able to do a poor fix but decided to order a new set.
    I put these on my boots at the first thought of falling or freezing conditions and take them off at end of season. Directions state not to wear on cleared concrete, I have worn them across the basement floor. Walked on rugs in our laundry room , down our wooden steps , steep grades with and without snow asphalt or concrete have had no problems.
    Went on line Thur morning and ordered the YakTrax Pro Ice Grips received them today USPS. I thought of buying the cleats for boots but them only having maybe 10 cleats sticking down ,just wasn't sure, I knew these worked.

I use them ice fishing and gave my parents a set so they don't fall when walking outside. They work well. There are also some variations that have small jagged or spiked end for better traction. I sell alot of these in my sporting goods store.
    - Mike - 2012 John Deere 3320 eHydro with cab, 300cx loader

John Deere 6' 6" 3 point snow blower, Frontier 48" pallet forks, King Kutter 5' box blade, 6' back blade, 5' rake, 5' tiller, and 5' brush hog, Northstar log splitter, Chief 22 gpm PTO pump, 8'6" hydraulic V-Plow, BXpanded 72" Piranha toothbar.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements