Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Free - Diesel Fume Alarm

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:54 AM
    Thanks

Free - Diesel Fume Alarm

Free – Diesel Fume Alarm
    Slightly used, early 1960s model. Not showroom condition, but clean with good paint. Programmed to go off when her car fills with diesel fumes in enclosed garage. Refuses to park outside. Very reliable and not too bad in the kitchen. I’m the second owner and had her for over 30 years. Trade and cash considered for newer version. Delivery available. PM for details.
    mjncad, Kennyd, DRobinson and 3 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OxPath View Post
    Free – Diesel Fume Alarm
    Slightly used, early 1960s model. Not showroom condition, but clean with good paint. Programmed to go off when her car fills with diesel fumes in enclosed garage. Refuses to park outside. Very reliable and not too bad in the kitchen. I’m the second owner and had her for over 30 years. Trade and cash considered for newer version. Delivery available. PM for details.

I sense that somehow you have not shopped around for a newer model. Although at first glance, they may appear to be cosmetically more appealing, they may contain many hidden and undesirable qualities.
    According to your description, and unless you have made a misrepresentation, the alarm only sounds for diesel fumes. In my experience, any newer model, or older model for that matter, is programmed to sound the alarm for a myriad of stimuli, including such mundane things as taking a nap, spending too much time on tractor sites, not being attentive, coveting old and comfortable furniture, tinkering with old cars, neglecting to bathe the dog, leaving certain garments in the dryer overnight, etc., etc. I could go on and on.

Unless you desire an alarm that will sound infinitely more often, I suggest you may want to reconsider or withdraw your offer completely. I suspect you may not fully recognize the near perfection of what you have. I considered making you an offer, since there is no diesel powered vehicles anywhere near my place, but my trade in is considerably older, and in spite of it's range of detection, has become quite comfortable.

Good luck,
    Dennis
    mjncad, Kennyd, DRobinson and 4 others like this.
    Have wings, will travel.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:30 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2LaneCruzer View Post
    I sense that somehow you have not shopped around for a newer model. Although at first glance, they may appear to be cosmetically more appealing, they may contain many hidden and undesirable qualities.
    According to your description, and unless you have made a misrepresentation, the alarm only sounds for diesel fumes. In my experience, any newer model, or older model for that matter, is programmed to sound the alarm for a myriad of stimuli, including such mundane things as taking a nap, spending too much time on tractor sites, not being attentive, coveting old and comfortable furniture, tinkering with old cars, neglecting to bathe the dog, leaving certain garments in the dryer overnight, etc., etc. I could go on and on.

Unless you desire an alarm that will sound infinitely more often, I suggest you may want to reconsider or withdraw your offer completely. I suspect you may not fully recognize the near perfection of what you have. I considered making you an offer, since there is no diesel powered vehicles anywhere near my place, but my trade in is considerably older, and in spite of it's range of detection, has become quite comfortable.

Good luck,
    Dennis
    While those new models may be more cosmetically appealing, they tend to giggle a lot, are very flighty, and suffer from attention deficit disorder. However, they would likely not know diesel fumes from sweat odor. And their music tastes are horrible. Then we get to cooking, they probably could not even spell ingredient, let alone actually do any cooking.

Dave
    mjncad, farmgirl19 and OxPath like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    While those new models may be more cosmetically appealing, they tend to giggle a lot, are very flighty, and suffer from attention deficit disorder. However, they would likely not know diesel fumes from sweat odor. And their music tastes are horrible. Then we get to cooking, they probably could not even spell ingredient, let alone actually do any cooking.

Dave
    They are generally very high maintenance; although that is not a characteristic exclusively exhibited by the newer models, as I can confidently attest.
    mjncad likes this.
    Have wings, will travel.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:53 AM
    Thanks
    OxPath, I suggest you live on the edge and go without such alarms regardless of age and/or condition.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks

This is correct, I have not shopped around. Before looking at newer models, I wanted to gauge the value, if any, of the trade.

According to your description, and unless you have made a misrepresentation, the alarm only sounds for diesel fumes.

If not listing all the optional alarm modes is considered misrepresentation, I suppose I did. No harm was intended and I don't think I acted illegally as I'm not selling ... I'm begging.

In my experience, any newer model, or older model for that matter, is programmed to sound the alarm for a myriad of stimuli, including such mundane things as taking a nap, spending too much time on tractor sites, not being attentive, coveting old and comfortable furniture, tinkering with old cars, neglecting to bathe the dog, leaving certain garments in the dryer overnight, etc., etc. I could go on and on.

What? There are others like mine? I was promised by my FIL that I was getting a patented, one-off model. He and I need to have a talk.

Ouch! This really hit home and I feel awful that I made my original post. I will reconsider and edit my offer.

Free – Diesel Fume Alarm
    Slightly used, early 1960s model. Not showroom condition, but clean with good paint. Programmed to go off when her car fills with diesel fumes in enclosed garage. Optional alarm modes available. Refuses to park outside. Very reliable and not too bad in the kitchen. I’m the second owner and had her for over 30 years. I will not consider trades. Delivery available and no returns accepted. PM for details.
    - Phil -
    LT160 Garden Tractor
    3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks - Artillian 42" Forks - Edge Tamers

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    OxPath, I suggest you live on the edge and go without such alarms regardless of age and/or condition.
    That's sort of what I'm thinking. How hard can it be to learn how to cook?
    - Phil -
    LT160 Garden Tractor
    3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger

10. Top | #8
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Well, we do have a GTT Cookbook, where you can get recipes.

I suspect this is a huge joke, but I too suggest you plan on no alarm. By the time an alarm get to be of the vintage that yours is, they have come to the realization that it isn't worth buying an entire hog, for a little sausage!
    mjncad, dieselshadow and OxPath like this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to farmgirl19 For This Useful Post:

mjncad (01-13-2014)

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    Well, we do have a GTT Cookbook, where you can get recipes.

I suspect this is a huge joke, but I too suggest you plan on no alarm. By the time an alarm get to be of the vintage that yours is, they have come to the realization that it isn't worth buying an entire hog, for a little sausage!
    Yes. It's a joke. I'm married to my high school sweetheart, whom I love today as much as ever. I am very happy and content and my life would not be complete without her. She'll eventually learn to appreciate the diesel fumes ... just as she did the little sausage.
    - Phil -
    LT160 Garden Tractor

13. Top | #10
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OxPath View Post
    Yes. It's a joke. I'm married to my high school sweetheart, whom I love today as much as ever. I am very happy and content and my life would not be complete without her. She'll eventually learn to appreciate the diesel fumes ... just as she did the little sausage.
    I suspected as much! You do have a fun way with words though!
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast