• 1 Post By dieselshadow
  • 3 Post By Kennyd

Thread: Which brand of helicopter?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-26-2015 @ 07:08 PM
    Thanks

Which brand of helicopter?

The other night I happened to be in an area where there was an ongoing manhunt by police that later turned into a short car chase.
    A local police department called for a helicopter to assist in the search. When the helicopter arrived, I couldn't help but notice how quiet it was. The usual rotor chop was not present and that helicopter was continuously making tight turns while using spotlights to keep track of the person/s of interest.

A car was used in an attempt to flee from the scene while the helicopter remained right above and illuminated the area. It was after 7 pm so I couldn't see very much of the chopper. Initially, I thought it might be from DPS, but not certain. Could've been from any number of agencies.

Wonder if it was a Eurocopter?

It circled for an hour or more and chased the car to the end of a dead end road. Since it was so quiet, you could easily hear the pilot talking on the loudspeaker to people on the ground. He kept identifying the aircraft as police and making requests.
    I've seen DPS choppers and from what I was able to see of this one it didn't look like any of those.

By the time I decided to drive closer to the scene and try to get a closer look at the chopper, it flew away.
    I'm still amazed at just how quiet it was. It was not a small helicopter at all. From some of the words stated by the pilot over the loud speaker, somebody on the ground must've been doing something to tick him off.

Last edited by green and red man; 01-19-2014 at 09:14 AM.
    The man who wins is the one who thinks he can.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."

–Henry Ford

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:29 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,035 Times in 2,514 Posts
    Did it have a fenestron tail (fan tail)? If so, most likely it was a Eurocopter EC120. They are SUPER quiet and used in a a lot of urban area's by PD's.

Eurocopter EC120 Colibri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

green and red man likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:26 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,296 Times in 2,584 Posts
    There are several makes of helicopters that have "quiet" models.

Here's McDonnell Douglas 500 with the 'NOTAR' system. No tail rotor. Uses a directed stream of air through a vent where the tail rotor normally lives for yaw control.

Here's a ducted fan type of helicopter. Kenny sees these MD state trooper birds all the time I bet, the Aerospatiale Dauphin.

There are others out there, but without an image or a recording of the distinct sound each machine makes, it'll be hard to tell. Can you look up by the police department name and see what they fly?
    green and red man likes this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Kenny thanks for the link and video. It's very possible it did. I tried to see if I could spot that design feature when I was closer on foot before the car fled but the trees blocked my view.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."

–Henry Ford

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for that info and pics Diesel. I couldn't see even the word, "police", on the copter. Usually around here they have that much on them. The town where this was at doesn't have any aircraft.

Guess I could ask someone at that department.

–Henry Ford

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:29 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,035 Times in 2,514 Posts
    Jason, the Prince Georges County PD has a small fleet NOTAR's, they are looking at changing because parts are limited and expensive (comparatively anyway). They would do a fly in at our local RC Heli club FunFly every year and stay for two hours. I was offered a ride-along many times ( Iwas president of the club for 10+ years)...just never was able to hook up with the captain, I have his business card still on my desk.

And as for the MSP, they are switching to the AW 139 from Agusta Aerospace Corporation. 6 of them for 72.2 million:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	N382.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	24675

Our club visited their main hanger/shop some 20 years ago (wow I am getting old!)

Sorry for the derail G&R Man!
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    You didn't derail at all. Enjoy learning new info. Thanks. A friend of mine that's a veteran and pilot used to build aircraft parts for a living. He went into business for himself. One of his customers asked him to build a small helicopter based on someone else's plans. What's kind of amusing, after all the time and expense, the customer never flew the copter and decided to sell it.

Last edited by green and red man; 01-19-2014 at 09:50 AM.

–Henry Ford

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements