Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Drones

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    07-30-2019 @ 05:58 PM
    Thanks

Drones

After seeing several TV shows showing drones being used on the farm and how aerial views can be had. I started to investigate these thing. I did a lot of reading and most everyone said buy a decent toy and learn to fly before investing a lot of money in a bigger heavier one. I listened and bought a toy. I am glad I did because these dang things are hard to learn to fly well. I bought a quad motor unit that has a cheap $20 camera with it. It does not fly well in the wind. I actually had the wind take mine for a ride when I got it up too high and into wind currents. I thought I had lost it but when I knew I had no control I shut it down and it landed about 1/4 mile away on the side of the road. I had looked in the brush for 45 minutes. I walked out to the road and there it was.

I am still learning to fly this thing. The hard part for me is when it gets turned around and my controls need to be reversed to fly it. My problem is I can't see it well enough to tell front from rear. I have only had it about a month and between rain and wind I am slowly getting more flight time.

I might be dreaming but I have visions of checking fences for downed trees and water tanks in the future. Some units have FPV, First Person View, piloting your heli or plane via the use of a forward facing camera using the view from the camera as if you were sitting in the vehicle. If I become a good enough pilot I can combine play with work.
    sterling40man and farmgirl19 like this.
    Don't squat with your spurs on!
    JD 5065E, JD 737 Z-Turn, Can Am XT1000, Massey 271, Massey 451, Vermeer Baler, Various other tools.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks
    I know when you get into the $5-600 range they add GPS lock. That would help keep it in postion and would require you to counter wind a lot less. The controls then just move it and the computer takes care of the fine tuning. With any of my RC planes/Heli's the wind has always been a huge deal. The bigger and more powerful you get the better it is at dealing with a breeze. The local hobby store has a micro model that is only $40. You could fly it indoors and get the feel for the controls. You know when you can land on a CD that you've got it. Lots of fun and doesn't require calm wind. The model I saw had red LEDs in the back and blue in the front.

Early 2012 1026R with H120 and 60" auto connect MMM

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 636mullet View Post
    I know when you get into the $5-600 range they add GPS lock. That would help keep it in postion and would require you to counter wind a lot less. The controls then just move it and the computer takes care of the fine tuning. With any of my RC planes/Heli's the wind has always been a huge deal. The bigger and more powerful you get the better it is at dealing with a breeze. The local hobby store has a micro model that is only $40. You could fly it indoors and get the feel for the controls. You know when you can land on a CD that you've got it. Lots of fun and doesn't require calm wind. The model I saw had red LEDs in the back and blue in the front.

Thanks Mullet. This is the one I got. Amazon.com : WLToys V959 Quadcopter UFO with Camera (2 Batteries) USA Seller-Fulfilled by Amazon : Toys & Games It has LED's and stuff but I can't see them over about 40 feet. lol

Yes, my next unit I will most likely build. It will have GPS and FPV, First Person View, and RTH, Return to Home.
    JD 5065E, JD 737 Z-Turn, Can Am XT1000, Massey 271, Massey 451, Vermeer Baler, Various other tools.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    02-23-2019 @ 11:19 AM
    Thanks
    Check this one out! View Video Box at bottom of first screen:

350 QX: Blade - #1 By Design
    636mullet, purplewg and PaDave like this.

7. Top | #5
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    purplewg; A good horse lets you check fences too!
    Kennyd, Gizmo2, 56FordGuy and 2 others like this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty370 View Post
    Check this one out! View Video Box at bottom of first screen:

350 QX: Blade - #1 By Design

Yeah, I have seen that one. I like the Stick Relativity and Return Home. I wonder if you can add Pilot view.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    purplewg; A good horse lets you check fences too!

I have a good horse but some days he is just plain lazy. He doesn't come equipped with an aerial view camera and his batteries cost more.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:47 AM
    Thanks
    I'm just learning to fly quadcopters too. It's a lot of "frustrating fun", and if you've had RC helicopter experience (which I don't), then flying quads will come easier.

FPV is cool, but not the same as sitting in the cockpit. You don't have the peripheral vision and simply cannot turn your head to look around. I've watched members of my club with FPV and watched a monitor screen, and talk about confusing ... you have a "limited" field of view, and you really need a lot of experience to tell how high you are. In addition, everything looks different from above, so if you haven't seen your property and area around it from above, you're in for a big surprise when you fly.

Our club follows AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) rules, and requires a spotter whenever a pilot flies an FPV vehicle to keep it in view and warn the pilot when it gets too far out. It makes a lot of sense, since loss of orientation comes really quick.

Back to my flying, I'm practicing hovering with the nose out/away from me. When I can get it to go where I want and recover from drift, I will try nose left and nose right and make sure I can control it well. Then I will practice nose in.

I was told that many experienced fliers to fly forward and steer with yaw. When they get a bit disoriented, they push the right stick forward (forward flight) and steer it left or right until they know it is coming back. The first time I tried it, I "landed" about a quarter mile away too. So now for the time being, I fly close in until I have control.

BTW, we had a "runaway" quad copter that landed in a school yard during recess. Luckily no one was injured, but the principal called the police (they didn't know what it was or where it came from). Our club member drove down to the school, everyone was calm, but we did have to explain that we are an insured club, and we do follow our rules. And the club president met with the principal, we can't guarantee it won't happen again, accidents, electronic and mechanical failures do occur, but we do everything we can to not overfly people and "ditch" if we have to avoid any chance of personal injury.

Have fun, but please be safe. Just my 2 cents.
    dieselshadow likes this.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

11. Top | #9
    Jer
    Last Online
    11-13-2017 @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    I'd love to hear you thoughts on this one:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...robot?ref=live

It has 'follow me' mode, and an autopilot that you can pre-program. My brother and I are seriously thinking about it - just for fun flying and cool pics. Nothing professional.

-Jer.
    2014 JD 5075M (just barely pre T IV emissions), H310 with bucket mounted grapple, HLA powertine forks, 8' HLA snowblade, Schulte SDX-840 Snowblower, Rhino 12' Flail, 6' Sweepster 3pt PTO broom, hydraulic toplink from CCM, LED lights front and back, big pile of 3pt implements.

2006 JD 3120 with R3 Turf Tires, 300x loader, Artillian Forks & Trailer Mover

Gator 825i S4 - NOW WITH TRACKS!!!

2014 pre-emission 997 with 60" deck

Wish List:
    now that I have a cozy cab, nothing really....

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    06-24-2016 @ 12:06 PM
    Thanks

I'm laughing

I was just listening to the radio and a proposal was just shot down by the state. Someone prposed a business idea using a drone to deliver beer to ice fishermen in the winter and to boats in the summer using a drone launched from a beer truck at the boat launch. BRILLIANT! I'm thinking a twin tube derrigable with twin ducted fans for thrust. The derrigable would give stable lifting ability and 2 or 4 engines would give control. Beer delivery
    I could see some teenager with a good Drone delivering bait etc to boats all over the lake. (If it went down it wouldn't sink either) Maybe the state you live in will allow it. Talk about the Budwieser or Miller blimp being popular. What an idea.
    Oh yeah checking fences too. haa haa

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast