Ann Margret
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Ann Margret

  1. Top | #1
    etcallhome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:26 AM
    Location
    Preston County WV
    Posts
    13,384
    Thanks
    3,263
    Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,584 Posts

    Ann Margret

    May or may not be true

    (unverified but believable)

    
    Ann Margret....

    ...a contrast to Jane Fonda

    Viet Nam1966

    Richard, (my husband), never really talked a lot about his time in Viet Nam, other than he had been shot by a sniper. However, he had a rather grainy, 8 x 10 black and white photo he had taken at a USO show of Ann Margret with Bob Hope in the background that was one of his treasures.

    A few years ago, Ann Margret was doing a book signing at a local bookstore. Richard wanted to see if he could get her to sign the treasured photo so he arrived at the bookstore at 12 o'clock for the 7:30 signing.

    When I got there after work, the line went all the way around the bookstore, circled the parking lot, and disappeared behind a parking garage. Before her appearance, bookstore employees announced that she would sign only her book and no memorabilia would be permitted.
    Richard was disappointed, but wanted to show her the photo and let her know how much those shows meant to lonely GI's so far from home. Ann Margaret came out looking as beautiful as ever and, as second in line, it was soon Richard's turn.

    He presented the book for her signature and then took out the photo. When he did, there were many shouts from the employees that she would not sign it. Richard said, "I understand. I just wanted her to see it."

    She took one look at the photo, tears welled up in her eyes and she said, "This is one of my gentlemen from Viet Nam and I most certainly will sign his photo. I know what these men did for their country and I always have time for 'my gentlemen.''
    With that, she pulled Richard across the table and planted a big kiss on him. She then made quite a to-do about the bravery of the young men she met over the years, how much she admired them, and how much she appreciated them. There weren't too many dry eyes among those close enough to hear. She then posed for pictures and acted as if he were the only one there.

    Later at dinner, Richard was very quiet. When I asked if he'd like to talk about it, my big, strong husband broke down in tears. ''That's the first time anyone ever thanked me for my time in the Army,'' he said.

    That night was a turning point for him. He walked a little straighter and, for the first time in years, was proud to have been a Vet. I'll never forget Ann Margret for her graciousness and how much that small act of kindness meant to my husband.

    I now make it a point to say 'Thank you' to every person I come across who served in our Armed Forces. Freedom does not come cheap and I am grateful for all those who have served their country.
    If you'd like to pass on this story, feel free to do so. Perhaps it will help others to become aware of how important it is to acknowledge the contribution our service people make.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails !cid_1_2093975741@web141203_mail_bf1_yahoo.jpg   !cid_3_2093975741@web141203_mail_bf1_yahoo.jpg  
    Last edited by dieselshadow; 02-12-2014 at 03:30 PM. Reason: title spelling
    glc, ndrmyr, Tomfive and 2 others like this.
    Gene

    Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

  2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to etcallhome For This Useful Post:

    ddinham (02-11-2014), glc (02-12-2014), Kennyd (02-12-2014), Tomfive (02-12-2014), Vern1026R (02-11-2014)

  3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  4. Top | #2
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8,562
    Thanks
    1,503
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Not the first time I have heard of Ann Margret doing this. In what little research I have done, it appears to be true. Given her work with the USO, I would not doubt that it most certainly is true. She has always been a beautiful lady, and a class act!
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

    If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

    Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to farmgirl19 For This Useful Post:

    etcallhome (02-11-2014)

  6. Top | #3
    Zebrafive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:31 PM
    Location
    South West Michigan
    Posts
    7,192
    Thanks
    1,523
    Thanked 599 Times in 525 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    May or may not be true

    (unverified but believable)

    
    Ann Margret....

    ...a contrast to Jane Fonda

    Viet Nam1966

    Richard, (my husband), never really talked a lot about his time in Viet Nam, other than he had been shot by a sniper. However, he had a rather grainy, 8 x 10 black and white photo he had taken at a USO show of Ann Margret with Bob Hope in the background that was one of his treasures.

    A few years ago, Ann Margret was doing a book signing at a local bookstore. Richard wanted to see if he could get her to sign the treasured photo so he arrived at the bookstore at 12 o'clock for the 7:30 signing.

    When I got there after work, the line went all the way around the bookstore, circled the parking lot, and disappeared behind a parking garage. Before her appearance, bookstore employees announced that she would sign only her book and no memorabilia would be permitted.
    Richard was disappointed, but wanted to show her the photo and let her know how much those shows meant to lonely GI's so far from home. Ann Margaret came out looking as beautiful as ever and, as second in line, it was soon Richard's turn.

    He presented the book for her signature and then took out the photo. When he did, there were many shouts from the employees that she would not sign it. Richard said, "I understand. I just wanted her to see it."

    She took one look at the photo, tears welled up in her eyes and she said, "This is one of my gentlemen from Viet Nam and I most certainly will sign his photo. I know what these men did for their country and I always have time for 'my gentlemen.''
    With that, she pulled Richard across the table and planted a big kiss on him. She then made quite a to-do about the bravery of the young men she met over the years, how much she admired them, and how much she appreciated them. There weren't too many dry eyes among those close enough to hear. She then posed for pictures and acted as if he were the only one there.

    Later at dinner, Richard was very quiet. When I asked if he'd like to talk about it, my big, strong husband broke down in tears. ''That's the first time anyone ever thanked me for my time in the Army,'' he said.

    That night was a turning point for him. He walked a little straighter and, for the first time in years, was proud to have been a Vet. I'll never forget Ann Margret for her graciousness and how much that small act of kindness meant to my husband.

    I now make it a point to say 'Thank you' to every person I come across who served in our Armed Forces. Freedom does not come cheap and I am grateful for all those who have served their country.
    If you'd like to pass on this story, feel free to do so. Perhaps it will help others to become aware of how important it is to acknowledge the contribution our service people make.
    This deserves it's OWN Thread, not buried in funny jokes and pictures. Thanks for sharing.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zebrafive For This Useful Post:

    etcallhome (02-13-2014), Gizmo2 (02-12-2014)

  8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  9. Top | #4
    etcallhome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:26 AM
    Location
    Preston County WV
    Posts
    13,384
    Thanks
    3,263
    Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,584 Posts
    If Kennyd or any of the Admin wants to that is fine with me. I had thought of doing that and just didn't.

    Thanks for for the Likes from everyone..
    Gene

    Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

  10. Top | #5
    purplewg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Online
    07-30-2019 @ 05:58 PM
    Location
    Fla
    Posts
    427
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 35 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    Not the first time I have heard of Ann Margret doing this. In what little research I have done, it appears to be true. Given her work with the USO, I would not doubt that it most certainly is true. She has always been a beautiful lady, and a class act!
    First class lady and in her time she was easy on the eyes, voluptuous, sensual, scrumptious, succulent, but then I digress.
    etcallhome likes this.
    Don't squat with your spurs on!
    JD 5065E, JD 737 Z-Turn, Can Am XT1000, Massey 271, Massey 451, Vermeer Baler, Various other tools.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to purplewg For This Useful Post:

    etcallhome (02-13-2014)

  12. Top | #6
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8,562
    Thanks
    1,503
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by purplewg View Post
    First class lady and in her time she was easy on the eyes, voluptuous, sensual, scrumptious, succulent, but then I digress.
    In her time??? I hope when I get to be her age, I can look half as good!
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

    If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

    Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to farmgirl19 For This Useful Post:

    etcallhome (02-13-2014)

  14. Top | #7
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:00 AM
    Location
    Joelton TN
    Posts
    19,798
    Thanks
    1,065
    Thanked 4,296 Times in 2,584 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    If Kennyd or any of the Admin wants to that is fine with me. I had thought of doing that and just didn't.

    Thanks for for the Likes from everyone..
    I made this it's own thread.
    farmgirl19 likes this.
    - Jason

    GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

    Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

    2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dieselshadow For This Useful Post:

    etcallhome (02-12-2014), farmgirl19 (02-12-2014)

  16. Top | #8
    ddinham's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Location
    Eastern Kansas
    Posts
    3,555
    Thanks
    167
    Thanked 493 Times in 376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    In her time??? I hope when I get to be her age, I can look half as good!
    She must already *be* 29.

    Dave

    Sent from my Sprint EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk 4
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

  17. Top | #9
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8,562
    Thanks
    1,503
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    She must already *be* 29.

    Dave

    Sent from my Sprint EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk 4
    She might be, but she sure doesn't look it! Still beautiful and classy.
    etcallhome likes this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

    If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

    Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to farmgirl19 For This Useful Post:

    etcallhome (02-13-2014)

  19. Top | #10
    2LaneCruzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:51 PM
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    4,312
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked 505 Times in 363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    She might be, but she sure doesn't look it! Still beautiful and classy.
    I think Elvis thought so.
    Have wings, will travel.

  20. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •