Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Wild hogs

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-26-2015 @ 07:08 PM
    Thanks

Wild hogs

I had always heard they were in the area here a long time ago, but never saw them or their damage until the past few years. The biggest boar I got to see up close was during a fishing trip. That one made me glad to not be on foot that day. He was ferocious and was one bad to the bone porker.

In other years I encountered them while deer hunting. Once while walking back from a tree blind, I came across a family of them. Let's just say my heart wasn't beating slowly after that. Both parents charged me and I didn't have a gun. Only had my compound bow with arrows. Thankfully made it through that without a scratch. Made it back to my truck and just laid down in the bed for a while. I was miles away from help if it had been needed.

The other times I was walking down a fire break in the dark and alone after a day of hunting. It's not what I'd call comforting to have a family of hogs run in front of you in the dark. I was carrying well over a hundred pounds of gear on my back. There's no way I could run very fast if a critter decided to attack me. All I could do was stand and fight. Mostly my biggest concern was stepping on a rattlesnake. Being attacked by feral hogs was a close second.

I don't understand why one guy puts out deer feeders in the city to feed the wild hogs. You can always tell when they've been in the area, the ground is all rooted up in places.

Last edited by green and red man; 02-17-2014 at 11:05 AM. Reason: spelling error
    The man who wins is the one who thinks he can.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."

–Henry Ford

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    02-23-2019 @ 11:19 AM
    Thanks
    I'd like to here more about this Hog infestation! I've heard it's pretty bad.......... Thanks! ~Scotty

4. Top | #3
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    The hogs root under fences, and tear those up. They root in the ground and tear that up. They can be mean as the dickens.

I have a couple of friends that have game cameras, and when they see a pattern of a hog coming around, they lie in wait and kill it! They can even get an agricultural property tax exemption, if they take photos and document it, as the hogs take a toll on the rest of the wildlife, from pasture destruction, to upsetting the food supply. The hogs breed quickly. The friends that kill them, save me the backstraps to cook and feed the dogs, and leave the rest for the turkey buzzards to dispose of. Most of what is killed is boars, but there is the occasional sow.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Know some guys that absolutely love wild hog meat and when the hogs got wise to the traps on their farm, they started setting traps on other peoples' land. They usually transfer them to sturdy pens and put them on a grain diet for a few months. Myself, I won't eat wild hogs. Too many diseases. And, I strongly advise anyone who guts one to wear gauntlet style or even shoulder length disposable gloves. Brucellosis is common among them.

I don't remember if the proposed helicopter hunting law was passed or not. It was to allow landowners to make money off of hunters that want to pop them from the air. The animal rights people protested, but heck, the hog populations have exploded. I know of a cement company's land that is terribly infested with them. Found out by accident while on a long bike ride. Since I was on a mountain bike while traveling on some country backroads, the hogs didn't hear me coming. You'd have to see to believe just how many there were. Some probably weighed 300 pounds or more.

They do a lot of damage to deer feeders and of course lawns in residential neighborhoods. They're also known for damaging farm crops. One guy that raises a lot of sunflowers says they won't bother them. I'm not sure about that just yet.

When I've been fishing at night on a farm, there were plenty of them hanging out around the lake and creek.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."

–Henry Ford

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    03-07-2018 @ 02:10 PM
    Thanks
    I thought most areas had an open season on them and you could just shoot all of them you want? I know that is what we have for coyotes here in PA. I wish I was closer to TX, as I would love to test out some of my "hunting tools" on the wild hog population.
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor
    2012 2520 - DELIVERED 27APR2012!!!

Tractor that I used to own - 1954 40 Utility
    KB3WPN

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andy b. View Post
    I thought most areas had an open season on them and you could just shoot all of them you want? I know that is what we have for coyotes here in PA. I wish I was closer to TX, as I would love to test out some of my "hunting tools" on the wild hog population.
    Please come and take out as many as possible. I can't say what the laws are statewide. I know on Army Corps land where I've hunted so much, you can kill them all year long. Couldn't believe how many there were in this one area that I hunted one morning. After I found out, I moved my stand and quit hunting there. Deer and wild hogs don't mix.

–Henry Ford

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    03-07-2018 @ 02:10 PM
    Thanks
    I have too many vacations lined up for this summer, but if my son crosses over from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts next spring (2015), I may have to convince his troop to spend a week in Texas.
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor
    2012 2520 - DELIVERED 27APR2012!!!

Tractor that I used to own - 1954 40 Utility
    KB3WPN

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-14-2019 @ 09:13 AM
    Thanks
    The hog population is actually decreasing in south Texas. Most all of the farmers have been hiring helicopters to shoot them, easily over 100 killed per hour. It has been by far the most effective means of hog control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    3046r Cab, H165 w/61" bucket, Frontier 72"BB, MX6, and Woods TCR68" Tiller.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 660 Posts
    I have hunted in MO & IL, but have never encountered any wild hogs. There is an open season in MO on hogs, but the only time I hunt in MO is during deer season. I hunt IL during turkey and deer season. There has been reports that some of these hogs are deliberately turned loose. Here is some interesting reading.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...61535280,d.aWc

INFSMS: National Feral Swine Mapping System:::::::::::::::::::::SCWDS Lab
    ndrmyr likes this.
    2013 1025R
    (Oct. 1, 2013 Used with 20hrs.)
    H120 loader -- 60D AutoConnect MMM --Frontier RB2060 blade -- Modified RIO -- Northstar Sprayer -- Fimco Spreader -- Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks.
    "Kitty" 2000-2014

12. Top | #10
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    andy b.: I'll second the come to Texas and kill all of the wild hogs that you see. You can kill any coyotes you see around here too!
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast