Thread: Stuck in the mud

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:42 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,584 Posts

Stuck in the mud

Sorry no Pictures..
    Late this afternoon , neighbor called and asked if I could come over and help get her husbands F250 Diesel 4x4 out of a ditch. I wasn't home at time and grand daughter told her , when I came home I would come over. She tells me this 40 min after I come home anyway I drive up the road to there house and see his F250 setting about 350' down a 25-30 deg angle below there house in a field. Out from his truck is a older S10 , both covered with mud. I find out his F250 4X4 isn't working . Well at least the front axles aren't working and he just bought truck used ,this past Sat. For thoughts not owning a 4x4 , it can get stuck on a dime when the front end is not pulling. A regular pickup truck non 4x4 can go far better than a broke 4X4.
    Yea they still need help , came back home got the tractor , 2 chains 10' long and a 3/8 60-75' steel cable.
    When I get back the friend has his S10 setting up at main road. OH BOY ,I can't pull this truck up this incline ,but I' ll try.. Snow just melted off the hill on Tues maybe Wed and it rained at least 1 " yesterday. Water is pouring out of the lower part of this hill in several places. Hooked my cable, both chains and his 30 tow strap to his truck I'm at least 20' above him and pulling him out across the side of the hill. No problem pulled him and now we are guessing 150' away from main road.
    Now I hook to the front of this F250 with same cable and chains , tried pulling him straight up the up .. I did for maybe 10' .... Still hooked to him , his friend hooks to front of tractor with another 30' heavy chain, a 10 ' heavy chain, another 15' tow strap, and his new Harbor Freight 3000' winch with 50' cable. I will say it helped us get maybe 5'closer to the road. When he thought his winch wouldn't hold up we used his come along and another chain we found and got one of his front tires on hard top. Mind you his S10 is setting in a blind turn and speed limit is 30 NAAAA everyone does 40+++. plus setting on a angle because it is still part of the same hill . He gets in his S10 , me in 1026r and owner in his F250 . This man starts spinning and I'm thinking he is going to quit , smoke rolling off his tires when he finally got on the asphalt and he starts up the hill with us following him spinning. About 30-40 ft up the hill I notice a 10" across old telephone pole being used as a fence post go flying up the hill, All the chains , straps, cables tearing into the side of this post. 10' away is a 18 wild cherry tree. Thankfully didn't get close to tree. S10 driver stops when he sees the post go flying . Well I'm still 50-70 ' from main road and I still cannot pull F250 that is another 40' of so behind me. So now we decide lets pull down the hill up on main road. S10 hooks straight to F250 and I'm in front of the S10 we cut out maybe 30' of something. We started down the road and looking back I can see the F250 getting closer to the road ,yes we are going to get him out WroNG,, I hear a load noise and F250 stops moving , OH Crap I see his truck near the Other part of the Old telephone pole..NO we didn't pull his truck into the pole..Nope the hook broke on my 3/8" cable.. OK F250 is now maybe 10' from road, his friend decides he can pull him the rest of the way ,If I put my tractor at top of hill and stop traffic , because he will have to pull him straight across both lanes of traffic and then up the road to keep the F250 from sliding into the old pole... Success, 3 hrs after I got there his truck is on asphalt. I'm guessing they had been there 2 hrs before I showed up.
    Yes I had chains on back of tractor , a couple of places I dug holes 4" deep . Got a Thanks , he going to fix the hook on the cable, yes he did offer to pay me , I didn't take anything . Oh well... had fun playing ..
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,035 Times in 2,514 Posts
    Good story ET, it is amazing what these little machine will do...
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

etcallhome (03-14-2014)

5. Top | #3
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Good story ET, it is amazing what these little machine will do...
    X2!
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:01 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,955 Times in 2,915 Posts
    And once again, you're a good neighbor. Thanks for sharing.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

etcallhome (03-14-2014)

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    We were talking after getting his truck out ,and the man with the S10 told us his brother was charged $300 to have his pickup towed appx 5 miles. Clutch was torn our and he was afraid to drive it so he wanted it towed. We was guessing this could have been a $600-1000 tow. OUCH.
    I hoping to get a few pictures today to show the lay of the land.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    03-25-2019 @ 02:48 PM
    Thanks
    Great Story,

A few weeks back I got my Chevy Avalanche stuck in the ice/snow while trying to enter the back of my property. The front was buried in deep up to the bumper with snow and the tires spinning on ice. The rear tires did not make it into the deep snow but had already lost traction due to the ice underneath the snow. The rear tires were about a foot away from being on an un-iced surface (gravel/dirt). My wife suggested I get my tractor (1026R) to pull the truck out and I quickly brushed her off and said no way would it be able to pull it out.

Now I'm rethinking the situation I got myself into and should have listened to my wife. She could have worked the Avalanche while I worked the Tractor. Makes me almost want to get stuck again to see if the tractor could have pulled my truck out

Eventually I called my neighbor at about 9:45p.m to come pull me out with his Jeep.
    Last edited by Dungar; 03-14-2014 at 11:30 AM.
    etcallhome likes this.

11. Top | #7
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:01 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,955 Times in 2,915 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dungar View Post
    Great Story,

A few weeks back I got my Chevy Avalanche stuck in the ice/snow while trying to enter the back of my property. The front was buried in deep up to the bumper with snow and the tires spinning on ice. The rear tires did not make it into the deep snow but had already lost traction due to the ice underneath the snow. The rear tires were about a foot away from being on an un-iced surface (gravel/dirt). My wife suggested I get my tractor (1026R) to pull the truck out and I quickly brushed her off and said no way would it be able to pull it out.

Now I'm rethinking the situation I got myself into and should have listened to my wife. Should could have worked the Avalanche while I worked the Tractor. Makes me almost want to get stuck again to see if the tractor could have pulled my truck out

Eventually I called my neighbor at about 9:45p.m to come pull me out with his Jeep.
    I think you're right.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I hear you Dungar, several yrs ago I pulled a Caravan with front wheels off the ground by 3" one side the other side guessing 18 or better. One back wheel on ground the other setting up on some bushes, neighbor lady missed her driveway while backing in. It was on the ground when she got out of vehicle, longer it set the more the bushes gave way.

I thought I might be able to pull him across the field , felt almost certain I wouldn't be able to with the ground still wet.
    Here are a few photos.
    1st photo His F250 was below tree on far right , between tree and pond distance of 75-100'. His left front wheel was buried to the axle facing the woods on the right side. I pulled him with what little help he could over to about 30' above building , I was to far left of photo out of site another 20 or more feet.
    2nd photo , his truck is still facing the pond hooked to the front and tried to pull him up the hill making it maybe one truck length at best.
    3rd photo is the pole we broke off and S10 would be pulling up the hill another 30' or so.
    4th photo . pulling down the road and pole his truck came close to hitting, I was below the last post closest to the road when the clamps left the hook come off the cable.
    5th photo . Just a closer look at some of the marks and holes I dug trying to pull him.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails His truck was below tree on far right.JPG   I pulled truck to above the building..JPG   Pole broken off.JPG   Pulling down the hill main road to the left.JPG   Truck setting about 30' up from bldg..JPG  

farmgirl19 likes this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    08-26-2015 @ 07:08 PM
    Thanks
    They were very fortunate to have your help.

Around here if I have a tractor out when the roads get iced over, I no longer am so quick to try and pull somebody out. It's not that I am uncaring, it's just how flimsy these new cars are made. One guy got stuck in a steep ditch and if I had tried to pull his SUV out, the whole differential might have been pulled off. Ended up putting several asphalt shingles down inline with his wheels and pushed him out myself.

You did good.

The man who wins is the one who thinks he can.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."

–Henry Ford

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by green and red man View Post
    They were very fortunate to have your help.

Around here if I have a tractor out when the roads get iced over, I no longer am so quick to try and pull somebody out. It's not that I am uncaring, it's just how flimsy these new cars are made. One guy got stuck in a steep ditch and if I had tried to pull his SUV out, the whole differential might have been pulled off. Ended up putting several asphalt shingles down inline with his wheels and pushed him out myself.

You did good.
    I know what you mean , if the neighbor lady ,wasn't a family member , I may have rethought.
    As for the F250 and the Caravan first thing I tell them I'm charging you and I'm not attaching anything to your vehicle.If anything breaks you pay for the repairs. Her grandson connected to the Caravan and the owner connected to the F250 to his rear Class 2 trailer hitch and then to the two big tow hooks attached to the frame. Most of the new vehicles have no place to attach to and if you did ,like you said you could do a lot of damage.

If it is someone I don't know , sorry I don't think my tractor would be able to pull you out of the ditch.

Oh for the owner of F250, he just completed his 2nd or 3rd tour of duty in Afghanistan .

As long as I can , he will receive whatever help I can provide.

Last winter while he was gone I plowed or blew there driveway for his wife and step daughter.

Gene
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast